how much time/what age

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To many pups are never giving the chance to grow up and mature lot off people see pup big in size and think that because it has the height and weight it should be doing fox like and older dog and that

me too ive seen dogs that are good on both.

Ban was 5 years ago lol   Try again.   FTB

A good fox dog will never be a good rabbit dog! 18-22 months some go younger and jack so dont think you have a tool until proven, Some dogs do start young and carry on doing charlie most will jack! JMO

so how do you start them off? sure you must start on rabbits?

so pre ban you would only run your dog on fox and never rabbits?????

Edited by graham4877

A good fox dog will never be a good rabbit dog! 18-22 months some go younger and jack so dont think you have a tool until proven, Some dogs do start young and carry on doing charlie most will jack! JMO

so per ban you would only run your dog on fox and never rabbits?????

i think what the man is saying is that , some dogs seem to have an inbred dislike for charlie, and may not be effected the same way by bunnies,,i can understand that,,

To many pups are never giving the chance to grow up and mature lot off people see pup big in size and think that because it has the height and weight it should be doing fox like and older dog and that is why you see so many pups in the for sell section from 12 till 18 months old and most are bull cross push on to things that bit back far two young.

IMO a pup should have full season on rabbits learning ditches gates livestock etc and then when it is 2 year old or so then let them watch old dog do the job let pup have shake few dead ones see if it takes a disliking to them but as we all know most running dogs will bring down a fox but its all about taking a bit stick and not backing off.

And the bit about a good fox dog will never make good rabbit dog will that bull shit because know few cracking fox dogs that are also good lamping dogs live back too hand a lucher should know the prey its after and change its game for that prey

• Like 5

my dogs no world beater on fox, i run rabbits Hair deer etc she aint realy bred fox,or teethed stuff, but the the majority of people i know with top class teethed quarry dogs, dont start there dogs on bunnys and dont run bunnys at all as too dangerous for dog! JMO im happy this way each to their own! But i say dogs for jobs excell themselfves better! ATB

To many pups are never giving the chance to grow up and mature lot off people see pup big in size and think that because it has the height and weight it should be doing fox like and older dog and that is why you see so many pups in the for sell section from 12 till 18 months old and most are bull cross push on to things that bit back far two young.

IMO a pup should have full season on rabbits learning ditches gates livestock etc and then when it is 2 year old or so then let them watch old dog do the job let pup have shake few dead ones see if it takes a disliking to them but as we all know most running dogs will bring down a fox but its all about taking a bit stick and not backing off.

And the bit about a good fox dog will never make good rabbit dog will that bull shit because know few cracking fox dogs that are also good lamping dogs live back too hand a lucher should know the prey its after and change its game for that prey

JMO Im not saying i havent seen dogs that do charlie well and live back to hand, im saying there never the best fox dogs! :thumbs:

JMO Im not saying i havent seen dogs that do charlie well and live back to hand, im saying there never the best fox dogs! :thumbs:

l can show you 4 if you like easy as l said a lucher should now what prey its after and chance its game for that prey luchers are breed it take on all sorts off different game not just one thing IMO

Edited by iceman001979
Guest RAB.MCKAY

its still legal to kill foxes in n.ireland with a lurcher.

15 months doubled up first 3 , then 18 months single

i would never judge a dog on its first 2 unless it runs 2 the oposite

end of field.

After that you should know if its going 2 turn out , some dogs

will kill foxes no problem by shaking them these arent realy tested

till one locks 2 ther nose .

2 be honest i prefer a shaker thers no need 2 get busted up

every time.

Atb happy hunting

l can show you 4 if you like easy as l said a lucher should now what prey its after and chance its game for that prey luchers are breed it take on all sorts off different game not just one thing IMO

As i said mate , im in the same boat as most my bitch takes anything and charlie and teethed stuff isn't realy her strong point! But from my view comparing my dog and a lot of peoples dogs that take all different game, you cant theres no competition, the dog solely bred for the job will do the job 10 times faster!

So if you have a terrier, would you start it on rabbits, when realy your wanting a dog that would stay till dug too and be 100% on teethed stuff! NOPE :whistling:

couldent of put it any better my self marty :thumbs:

couldent of put it any better my self marty :thumbs:

i agree if you want a good fox dog it needs to run rabbits makes them sharper on turning and helps with the stamina. iv never been bothered too much of the back to hand live stuff but i no a couple of dogs good on charlie and will retrieve to hand. age wise every dog is different i think about 18months is a good age to start showing them charlie but only doubled up. then when they have done a few try them on their own. atb mike

So if you have a terrier, would you start it on rabbits, when realy your wanting a dog that would stay till dug too and be 100% on teethed stuff! NOPE :whistling:

Now don't be silly!!!