whats the laws on ferreitng old unused railway lines?

walking the dog out the day and came across a few sets getting well used and got good marks,he was away down the holes digging so can i ferret this? its am old railway line thats not been used for pure yrs! am going down there tomorra with the ferrets like but just wondered what the crack is with the law, whos owns the land? council? anyone have a clue?

I know the exact land you are on about and I have ferreted it loads of times, The railway has been unused for no more than 20 years not 50 lol, Be warned though the keepers from Lambton sometimes get down that way dogging in all the pheasants, If you head along the lines in the direction of cox green there doesn't seem to be much there but if you head down from the co-op and turn left following the lines along towards bournmoor theres a canny few good sets just before you get to the rookery on the right hand side again be warned though if you head toward bournmoor you're getting closer and closer to Lambton estate.

I know what you say though there's always plenty of lads down there with hawks and dogs, I will know the majority of them and you might aswell but these lads are in with the keepers and basically have permission to do what they want and nobody wants to get on the wrong side of them :)

Good luck :):thumbs:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you dont get done with tresspassing in scotland because u can walk anywere. but they just do u for breech of the peace instead or damaging land.

I've been told that under Brititsh Law (In England & Wales) there is no legal definition of Trespass, Only of causing Criminal Damage.

yeah thats what im saying mate but I dont know english or welsh laws only scottish!

like most laws mate they are only broken when caught,i ferret the old tanfield railway and get some good bags,good luck fro tomoz :thumbs:

@iamduvern why will it be contaminated?

Most old lines will run on wooden sleepers and bearers and they would have been treated with all sorts of chemicals that have been banned over the years along with the foundation materials be it stone ash or clinker there are still old lines that sit on a bed of asbestos then you have to consider what has dropped from wagons passing over the lines

Now when old lines are dug up there is a shed load of risk assements that have to be taken in to consideration there are miles of old track that hasn't been touched over the years because of the cost involved in cleaning up.

On modern line you can get a permit but its loads of hassel ,as i said on another post most of the unused railway lines where handed back to the farmers whos land they where on to save on insurance claims etc .and the smart farmers got them to renew the fences before they took them back

well this is going no where, ive been and asked the local farmer whos land the old line runs through and he says its fine to go on where his land is, :thumbs: and claims that the rest is to do with lamptons so i wont be going down that way no worth the trouble. cheers for the advice lads! penshaw woolies eat deer springs to mind! haha

We used to do the Lambtons railway,Fatfield riverbank & Penshaw Monument when we were fearless teenagers(mid 80's) :icon_redface: .Got a few close shaves with the Intercity 125's & the odd keeper but looking back we were very lucky not to have our collars felt :boogie: .Also used to do a bit on Hendon railway & dockyard :icon_eek: ...man those were the days :D:D

you dont get done with tresspassing in scotland because u can walk anywere. but they just do u for breech of the peace instead or damaging land.

I've been told that under Brititsh Law (In England & Wales) there is no legal definition of Trespass, Only of causing Criminal Damage.

thats right....good old tony blair..now we have the right to rome

We used to do the Lambtons railway,Fatfield riverbank & Penshaw Monument when we were fearless teenagers(mid 80's) :icon_redface: .Got a few close shaves with the Intercity 125's & the odd keeper but looking back we were very lucky not to have our collars felt :boogie: .Also used to do a bit on Hendon railway & dockyard :icon_eek: ...man those were the days :D:D

:thumbs:

well this is going no where, ive been and asked the local farmer whos land the old line runs through and he says its fine to go on where his land is, :thumbs: and claims that the rest is to do with lamptons so i wont be going down that way no worth the trouble. cheers for the advice lads! penshaw woolies eat deer springs to mind! haha

ihave permission from east riding council to ferret and dog the rabbits on all their disused railway lines, if the same as here you will find the land is in the hands of the local authority, the golf course i run has one running through the middle of it and when i called them to say we were considering legal action for the damage caused bu the rabbits coming from their land they were only to happy to give me a 3 year licence to control vermin on all of their disused lines. get in touch with them tell them the farmer has given you permission due to crop damage but the rabbits are all on the lines and you need permission to go on there.

The only thing with a disused railway is there's usually ten years worth of brambles etc growing there and if you cut them back some smart bugger will usually nip in and ferret it , And you don't really want to be cutting it back if you want to ferret it unannounced :whistling:

just go and wear your hi vis vest or go cammoed up and enjoy [bANNED TEXT] day .done plenty of railway lines running through some great old estates and had some real good days and nites caut a 4 and a qaurter pound plus wild rabbit on a railway once and lots of other qauury and game good places for hunting