where are they gone

1000's of acres, a lot not possible to poach (well keepered and visible from my house) and its no where near what it should be. We do ferret some but the big thing i noticed is lack of day time bunnies above ground. Other land tho - no below ground lots above. Somethings smashed the ass out of it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1000's of acres, a lot not possible to poach (well keepered and visible from my house) and its no where near what it should be. We do ferret some but the big thing i noticed is lack of day time bunnies above ground. Other land tho - no below ground lots above. Somethings smashed the ass out of it.

no land is not possible to poach

Edited by bull101

would the lack of bunnys in some areas be down to the hard weather we just had ?

:thumbs: dont tend to see many in hard frost or snow

Depends what your doing. I know that a lot of the bunnys round here were killed during last winter when we had a long period of deep snow they couldnt feed. We had them in the hay barns, the cattle feeders and places like that but a lot of what we were catching was thin and weak and when the melt came we found the dead, we also found some when digging. You could tell how bad it was because they were stripping bark and climbing right up the trunks to get at the lower branches.

This year as a result i think there are less rabbits. HOWEVER, during the periods of cold and snow, especially when its short or at the start (such as this year) the bags when ferreting go right up because they are all driven to ground, especially in the deep sets. You can gaurentee in the snow you will get a lot more marks and high bags. Obviosuly the opposite is true - less above ground and less to run with dogs.

no land is not possible to poach

Ok admit with skill any land can be poached, but there is a lot of land round here that is easy so that draws people off and this particular stretch is patrolled by keepers and over looked (a valley) by 6 houses (on the hills) (3 keepers, one farmer, the shoot captain and me). There are few places to park up without being noticed and you cant drive onto the land. I know its hard cos i used to poach it before i got permission but i grew up here so i know the land well but still often i couldnt do it and it was stressful.