Mountain Goats

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I ferk about with them all the time but the dogs broken to sheep and wont under any circumstances chase them.I had a big billy shot last november and in its last gasp for life battered the shit out of

would you reckon theres a difference between the smell of a domestic goat and a ferral goats then DOGS&NATIVES?my dogs are stock broken to all farm animals but I still think youd be threading on

Funny   All I can comment on are my own dogs and that of friends, I keep goats at home and my dogs are fine with them, but out on the hill, their fair game. I couldnt guarentee the safety of a pet

Posted Images

Jigsaw how tall can these billys get up to?

2008_04100003.jpg

this one was a big ferker as was the next

2008_04100001.jpg

goatheads004.jpg

now the point i was making earlier,the next photo is of a domestic billy,if the dog was allowed to chase and capture ferrals would you expect him to distinguish between the two,and the landowner would make short work of any trust gained and run ye off the land.

everything097.jpg

everything103.jpg

Jigsaw how tall can these billys get up to?

2008_04100003.jpg

this one was a big ferker as was the next

2008_04100001.jpg

goatheads004.jpg

now the point i was making earlier,the next photo is of a domestic billy,if the dog was allowed to chase and capture ferrals would you expect him to distinguish between the two,and the landowner would make short work of any trust gained and run ye off the land.

everything097.jpg

everything103.jpg

what cross is the dog in the pics

shes very biddable but shes not had as much work as she should have gotten,hopefully I step up the work rate this year again.Shes a dinger when shoting rabbits with the 22 and a great dog to have around you.I prefer her to most of the people I know,(doesnt that tell ye a lot about me :laugh: )

A good mate of mine had his wolfhoundxstag broad sided by a big billy while hog hunting goat came out of the scrub and put the dog over a cliff. Dog shattered his pelveris when he landed amoungst rocks.

Another friend and I used to shoot them we both had smooth foxterries at the time we would shoot the billies and use the dogs to catch the weined kids. We would take them home till it was time for a BBQ.

Young goat Kid is just right. :D

............'king idiocy - just what's going to happen when your dog meets domestic goats after running those things?

Bring your dogs up among domestic stock of all types first, and you wont have any issues at all. Some f*****g armchair hunters on ere :doh:

I guess this is just the usual story - it's the school holidays and all the 'expert' teenagers' have put down their gameboys and come on here. I've run dogs on a daily basis for more than 35 years and don't need lessons or insults from a teeny tot. Wild goats in this country are just domestic goats gone feral - there's no real difference in appearance or scent or behaviour etc between feral goats and domestic goats. There's lots of small holdings with goats about and you are just asking for trouble doing this. What next, a thread about running feral sheep?

I arrived at the hill this morning at 8.30 and my mate the dog and the gun and I climbed,we were walking from hill to hill and even though fresh dropings were everywherenot a beast could be found.We gave up the search at 3.30 p.m.Tired and defeated we came back down,reached the car at 4.26 p.m.Still a good way to pass the day.Next Monday again we'll try,better luck next time I hope.

Edited by jigsaw

............'king idiocy - just what's going to happen when your dog meets domestic goats after running those things?

Bring your dogs up among domestic stock of all types first, and you wont have any issues at all. Some f*****g armchair hunters on ere :doh:

I guess this is just the usual story - it's the school holidays and all the 'expert' teenagers' have put down their gameboys and come on here. I've run dogs on a daily basis for more than 35 years and don't need lessons or insults from a teeny tot. Wild goats in this country are just domestic goats gone feral - there's no real difference in appearance or scent or behaviour etc between feral goats and domestic goats. There's lots of small holdings with goats about and you are just asking for trouble doing this. What next, a thread about running feral sheep?

Funny :feck:

All I can comment on are my own dogs and that of friends, I keep goats at home and my dogs are fine with them, but out on the hill, their fair game. I couldnt guarentee the safety of a pet goat on the hill, but at home or round the farms, deffo. :thumbs: Never had any issues with sheep ever! Same with my friends dogs (members on here) they are fine among stock of all kinds in 'normal' situations, but when they get the scent of those hill billies, its game on! If you doubt me, I invite you out anytime, see for yourself, if not dont call me a liar...... or a teenager.

Jigsaw, I know your no armchair hunter, sorry if I offended you. But I want to say what my experiences have been, or should I just keep quiet lol

(As a side note, a local huntsman used to have a couple of pet foxes, his terriers got on well with them, but these were also a hard type when worked, out hunting (regularly)).

• Like 1

D&n no worries mate,couldnt give a shite if you did think that anyway,lol.Good to read different views from people,but it wouldnt be something I would be comfortable doing,but I MAY NOT BE RIGHT,but i wont tempt faith all the same.NEVER KEEP QUIET UNLESS YOUR UP TO YOUR CHIN IN SHIT :laugh: