FAO Davyt63 and anyone who wants a good cheap laser

zini

Hi Davy,

Here is the link and the photos of the laser that i got off EBay as promised buddy.

I have tested this laser and it is as good as if not better than my Hawke laser on my Ultra that is £10 more expensive.

The laser isn’t too big and its really light so doesn’t effect the rifles handling and the windage and elevation turrets are brilliant and very precise.

This laser will aid range estimation work at night or rat shooting at close range 10 fold.

It took around 9 days to arrive from China, but well worth the wait.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/650nm-Red-DOT-Laser-Sight-20mm-Mount-X95-NEW-/180589984178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0c0079b2

A most satisfying buy

Si

post-2627-0-02528600-1292268193_thumb.jpg

post-2627-0-56628500-1292268204_thumb.jpg

post-2627-0-77328700-1292268259_thumb.jpg

post-2627-0-38203900-1292268287_thumb.jpg

Thanks lads for the comments.

Hi Darryl,

You would be surprised mate on how well made the laser is and the jack plug fits in well with no play what so ever.

It's not flimsy and won't break without a massive force put onto it.

When the laser comes you also get another end cap as well with a press button on it if you prefer that to the jack plug pressure pad.

The laser will get a good run out over next weekend at Marks in total darkness so hopefully I will be able to get some good footage up on the Tube of it in action illuminating rats.

Si

Hey Zin,does your Dad know you've got his slippers on? :icon_redface:

Hi Archie buddy,

There is nothing wrong with those slippers pal :no:

My darling mrs bought them for me :yes:

"Got to say that havent I buddy, she will kill me?" :doh::laugh:

ATB

Si

Hey si, how would one go about using this high tech wizzardry? Lazer zero'd for 20yds scope for 35yards then urse those poi points to work out shot placement??? Im having a stab in the dark mate lol

.atb. .ste.

Hi Ste,

The laser is mostly used in 2 ways depending on what vermin species you are hunting.

If I am shooting bunnies I usually zero the laser to my cross hair bang on 25 metres pal.

As the laser is mounted above the scopes line of sight (LOS) and aiming down to meet the scopes cross hair at 25 metres, it cuts the cross hair at 25 metres and then drops below the scopes LOS after 25 metres falling lower on the vertical reticule of the cross hair.

What this enables you to do is use the laser as a range estimation tool when lamping.

Once you have spotted the bunny in your lamp you just flick on the laser and see where the laser red dot falls on the vertical post of the scopes reticule.

If the dot is above the cross hair you know that you are closer than 25 metres from the bunny, and if the dot is lower that the cross hair you know that the bunny is further away than 25 metres.

What you can do then is to move forwards or backwards depending if you are further or closer than 25 metres so that you are exactly at your zero range of 25 metres.

Once there you can take a cross hair shot and not need to bother about hold over or under.

If you do your shooting part you should never miss a bunny.

The second way is almost as you mentioned pal.

I zero my scope at 25 metres with my .22 r10 which gives me 2 zero points across the pellets parabolic trajectory.

These are 10 metres and 25 metres.

This means that I can shoot bang on the cross hair at 10 and 25 metres with no hold under or over applied to get a perfect shot placement.

If a target then appeared at say 20 metres I could trust my own calibration and scope Point Blank Range (PBR) and still aim bang on the rats head but slightly be out by millimetres from the cross hair to get a humane kill, or as I always do without a laser fitted, I would apply 1 mildot to ½ a mildot of hold under depending on what magnification I’m using on my scope as the pellet at the 20 metres point is above the scopes LOS.

If I have a laser fitted

What I then like to do when ratting is find a in between range or a range that is the range that you can shoot rats from, from a static location, depending obviously on your surroundings and the size of the barn, stable, shed, chicken pen etc.

This for me is normally around 18 metres, what this then gives me is 3 zero points.

10m, 18m and 25 metres.

I use the cross hairs for 10 and 25 metres and the laser for rats at 18- ish metres.

It works a treat and is really good if the rats are fast and you need to pick them up fast with a target designator prior to pulling the trigger.

I hope this is clear buddy.

If you need anymore info just let me know.

Si

• Like 1

Rossi, you can use the laser in a third way too, but it takes a bit of maths (or playing about on the range.

The laser is mounted a fixed distance from the scope centre. Whether that's a vertical distance (mounted abouve or below) or horizontal (mounted to the side) makes no difference.

Basically, for accurate range finding you need to know the angle that the laser line makes with the scope line. If you zero your scope at 30 yards, and then set the laser on the crosshairs at the same distance, then by measuring accurately the distance from the centre of the scope to the centre of the laser, you can work out the angle made between them.

Then, by basic geometry and trigonometry, you can work out how far under/over the crosshairs the dot appears at various ranges. Alternatively you can measure the ranges, move the rifle back and forward and note down the distance above/below (or left/right) of the crosshairs at different distances. This only really works if your scope has some kind of graduated reticule, such as mildot or similar, as unless you set the laser and scope fairly wide apart, the dot doesn't move much as the range increases/decreases.

Once you have worked all this out and learnt it/noted it down (I've seen people add it to the little print outs on scope covers for instant reference, though not mush use in the pitch dark) then you can use it as a fairly accurate way of measuring the range, and then obviously apply the correct hold over/under for the range.

I have a diagram that explains it better somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out.

• Like 1

Cheers matt that is a good aplication and explination, sod it im ordering one :) to have a play with, the only time I have used a lazer is in the pub for pointing out chicks with massive boobies to my mates in a descrete fasion (not a joke) ha ha.

Hopefully it wil help me with range finding as I do a lot at night and is an area I have highlited for personal improvment ( ranges ect. That is. Not doing stuff in the dark)

.all help/education greatfully recieved. Thanks guys .ste.