JohnGalways see in the dark thread

About two days ago I came across a thread containing some really, really interesting DIY NV information. It'd been up for a year or two and like a dummy I'd not passed any notice of it before.

Now, I'm starting to collect the ingredients to make a very good GEN1 spotter, and judging from the photos I've seen online it will be very good, and cheap!

Watch this space :toast:

Alright, I won't have mine done this side of Christmas so I'll spill the beans.

Most of the info is on the NV section of the AGBBS. Search for "cascade", "three stage", or "P8079HP" <-- That's the tube you need from Anchor Supplies, they have an Ebay shop.

I am told, that these units can spot a fox out to 250 yards - using starlight alone.

Think about that.

No lamp, laser, or IR.

OK, you won't get eye shine, but, if you add a low power IR source you will!

You'll need some basic ingredients, Intensifier tube, plastic pipe for the housing, cheap plastic bread board for the end caps, a battery box with on/off switch that takes 4 aa batteries, an objective lens from ... I forget where, I'll post it again, a stamp loupe to look through, or better the ocular end of a 6x40 el cheapo scope. Some black silicon, black spray paint. Some tools, some thinking, and the will to succeed :toast:

I've gathered some of the ingredients but not all. I'll take photos and record the results/mistakes when I'm making mine.

They're not the smallest, or the lightest but I'm told they're damn good compared to GEN2 and some Gen3.

• 4 weeks later...