4x4 advise: Which one?

This is my first post, so hello to everyone! seems a great forum!!

I currently drive a 1984 sherpa van (Camper) which is great when it works, however i realy dont trust it in the winter and with its current track recored on the reliability front id like to have an alternative means of transport.

Im moving back down to suffolk and have use of some woodland to keep my bees on and do a bit of shooting e.c.t. i also need to get down farm tracks and fields for my research (im a Phd student in ecology)

So i have been researching what 4x4 would be right for me,it needs to be Automatic so that does limit the choice! at the moment the list is down to an isuzu trooper, suzuki vitara, or possibly a hilux surf, Im currently leaning towards the suzuki due to runing costs and it looks like it could be a good toy with a few mods, but i do like the isuzu so what would you all recomend? anything ive missed that would be suitable? or common issues to look out for?

i will also be doing fairly long runs once a month appx 300mil round trip, however if any of you have ever driven an old freight rover sherpa you will know that im able to cope with a slow, rough ride.

Reliability is the most important factor. and i have around £2 grand to spend.

any info would be great.

many thanks

James

p.s if anyone has a suzuki/isuzu for sale let me know! must be road legal and have MOT.

This is my first post, so hello to everyone! seems a great forum!!

I currently drive a 1984 sherpa van (Camper) which is great when it works, however i realy dont trust it in the winter and with its current track recored on the reliability front id like to have an alternative means of transport.

Im moving back down to suffolk and have use of some woodland to keep my bees on and do a bit of shooting e.c.t. i also need to get down farm tracks and fields for my research (im a Phd student in ecology)

So i have been researching what 4x4 would be right for me,it needs to be Automatic so that does limit the choice! at the moment the list is down to an isuzu trooper, suzuki vitara, or possibly a hilux surf, Im currently leaning towards the suzuki due to runing costs and it looks like it could be a good toy with a few mods, but i do like the isuzu so what would you all recomend? anything ive missed that would be suitable? or common issues to look out for?

i will also be doing fairly long runs once a month appx 300mil round trip, however if any of you have ever driven an old freight rover sherpa you will know that im able to cope with a slow, rough ride.

Reliability is the most important factor. and i have around £2 grand to spend.

any info would be great.

many thanks

James

p.s if anyone has a suzuki/isuzu for sale let me know! must be road legal and have MOT.

sj410 or sj13 are good little 4x4s if thats what you mean?? 2 grand will get you a frontera diesel there ok and be good for the 300 mile trip, should get you a descent year model aswell

the vitara gets my :thumbs: goes anywhere the bigger 4x4's can go, plus more, great on petrol too

Image0408.jpg

agreed but I only get 22ish mpg with mine..

Ive never been one to work out milage, I simply fill it up £40 ish pound, and drive till it needs it again, remembering it uses more fuel in 4x4 mode, once I can find an empty workshop for a day, it'll be getting the camo job paintover

Hi.

Thanks for the recomendations! It seems the suzuki has a big following! Ive found a lovely one near me, full service hist, 68K on the clock, and only 2 keepers, There is one huge problem tho.... its PINK!

I shall keep looking! Im a bit reluctant to buy in the winter as it seems there is a huge snow tax on all 4x4's.

my other half isnt too sure yet and my brother in law is a tree surgon, im not looking faward to the comments! but i have watched a few youtube clips and pretty impressed with their ability.. :-)

Cheers

Jay.