Mike brown whippets?

A very interesting debate and to be honest I can see both sides of the argument.

I don't think anyone can argue that Mike Brown is passionate about his dogs and that he has bred some excellant pups. I dont have any but from what I read and have seen they are all healthy, well bred whippets.

I think most people that have a MB whippet are happy with their dogs but to be honest I think that alot of it has to do with the owners themselves. They take a well bred pup and develope it into a working dog but I am pretty sure that most whippet owners would get similar results had they bought a pup from any of the coursing lines.

Is Mike Brown a puppy farmer? I supose to some extent he is but to me a puppy farmer would have 20 or 30 brood bitches and be turning out hundreds of pups a year.

I think the prices that whippets fetch are the problem and can see why people would breed for the financial gain. I suppose I am lucky that I am reasonalbly well paid but I could imagine that if I was getting a low wage, say £1500 a year and was strugling a bit it would be very tempting to breed a few litters a year. If you get £400 a pup and get on average 8-10 pups in a litter you could make £3-4K per bitch. Two litters a year would give you 6 months wages.

I am not knocking Mike Brown because to be honest in the whippet scene there are loads of people who verge on being puppy farmers.

I have three whippets, one was bred by Itallion Stallion from this site and she is a coursing bred bitch. The next is again from coursing lines and the third is a racing bred dog. The take off speed and turning speed of the race bred dog is outstanding and I expected him to have less stamina but he can certianlly run a bit.

Fair points mate, mike sells pups 200-300 quid, less than a lot of other folk. :thumbs: But your not wrong in what you say.

cheers,

I paid £150 for the first whippet and £400 each for the other two. All three were healthy and looked after so why the differance in price? If you go on the whippet forum you get some stories about the cost of rearing a litter but anyone who says they dont make money from a large litter of KC reg whippets is crazzy. I actually dont have a problem with people malking a bit of money but be honest and admit it.

A good friend of mine has three whippets and had an accidental mating. He had 10 pups, all blue and they sold for £500 each. He doesnt work his dogs and they all went to pet homes but £5000 is silly money. He could have sold the litter twice over with the phone calls he got. To be fair to him he got the bitch spayed but it must have been tempting to breed another litter at those prices.

That is so spot on, especially about the wwf. :notworthy:

Have just read through this again and can"t see any reference about the wwf???

Sorry did he miss a "w" out. :notworthy::whistling::feck:

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

mike brown didnt become well known because he has worked his dogs, and thats a fact, he became well known because he used to sell his dogs using the "LAGUNA" name, (which wasnt/isnt his to use,) lyla

I have nothing against anyone breeding working dogs I do however hate people breeding working dogs that dont get them out and work them but will bull shit you when you get there and tell you they are

Bottom line im 24 iv only worked whippets for 12 years and raced greyhounds since i can remember i dont debate that a man breeding longer than i have lived will have forgoten more than i know but when

Posted Images

as i have said before i dont favour mb lines one way or the other, but this thread is f*****g crazy there are grown men acting likes kids in the school yard get a f*****g grip, the guy breeds rabbiting dogs that do well because he mainly sells them to working homes from what i can see he doesnt self market so he sells pups from repeat business or the people that has sold to being happy with what they have bought and passing on word of mouth?? which speaks volumes, all this shit about "kings clothes" can be applied to lurchers terriers poultry you name it people will allways buy from a source they beleive the "best" regardless wether it is or not

OK pb I hear what your saying about the "Kings clothes" now look through the lurcher and terrier topics and how often is the phrase "worker to worker the only/right way to go" mb breeds whippets FACT he sells them as working whippets yet HIS dogs that he breeds from are not worked.

Y.I.S Leeview

who said you need to go worker to worker have a look at the horse breeding world pigeon world they all breed sons/daughter/grandchildren of champions pigeons never out of the loft producing champions. horse never on a race coarse producing champions you stand a better chance worker to worker but the other ways work to. in the lurcher world they look for a line like irish lady lucky the dark destroyer.

Referring to the original question. Any whippet will work to a certain degree, but when it comes down to using a whippet for substantial work, you want a animal with good bone, feet, jaw, brains, prey drive and stamina, and not to forget good skin. Most show bred/racing stock will not inherit a lot of these qualitys, its just speed for racing and confirmation for the show bred dog. Your best bet is the coursing lines, or mb lines being purposely bred to sustain the knocks and bounds of a working dogs life, so is less prone to injury. Theres a big difference in a dog that works, to a dog thats bred for work! As far as working strains go anyway, you'll always here of mb this ss that, blah blah blah. But until another working strain comes available in the whippet world that doesnt contain ss lord of the knight, and glen and so on and so on, I think its best to stick to whats tryd and tested. And if another good working line did come available, a majority of the people on here would only criticize it anyway, and the breeder. Everyones got to start somewhere people.

No such thing as a working line people make out mike has invented some new type of whippet . What utter shit all he has done is buy in dogs that look the part and breed from them nothing more . He keeps no pups back to carry on his line he just buys them in as adults when he needs a replacement. Same with his studs including ss all brought in as older dogs and not bought on from pups . None that I know of other than Sooty sam have worked. So how is this a working line . All credit should go to the lads that have brought on a pup to work and work them hard not mike all he does is mate two dogs together he dont put in the leg work that has made his so called line of dog famous he just the hancock of the whippet world

Referring to the original question. Any whippet will work to a certain degree, but when it comes down to using a whippet for substantial work, you want a animal with good bone, feet, jaw, brains, prey drive and stamina, and not to forget good skin. Most show bred/racing stock will not inherit a lot of these qualitys, its just speed for racing and confirmation for the show bred dog. Your best bet is the coursing lines, or mb lines being purposely bred to sustain the knocks and bounds of a working dogs life, so is less prone to injury. Theres a big difference in a dog that works, to a dog thats bred for work! As far as working strains go anyway, you'll always here of mb this ss that, blah blah blah. But until another working strain comes available in the whippet world that doesnt contain ss lord of the knight, and glen and so on and so on, I think its best to stick to whats tryd and tested. And if another good working line did come available, a majority of the people on here would only criticize it anyway, and the breeder. Everyones got to start somewhere people.

Very Very VERY true!

No such thing as a working line people make out mike has invented some new type of whippet . What utter shit all he has done is buy in dogs that look the part and breed from them nothing more . He keeps no pups back to carry on his line he just buys them in as adults when he needs a replacement. Same with his studs including ss all brought in as older dogs and not bought on from pups . None that I know of other than Sooty sam have worked. So how is this a working line . All credit should go to the lads that have brought on a pup to work and work them hard not mike all he does is mate two dogs together he dont put in the leg work that has made his so called line of dog famous he just the hancock of the whippet world

Do you have any original thoughts or do you usually just edit together other peoples?

Plenty of original views when it comes to whippets not much point airing them on here they just fall on deaf ears . I dont think there is much point people asking for views on mike brown whippet as there minds are often already made up and they go there anyway . As I said at the start of this pointless thread my opinions aint based on here say or my mate has had one sort of crap iv been there and seen with my own eyes and heard with my own ears and I wasnt won over by any of it . I wish anyone having a pup from him all the luck in the world for its hunting future but there not for me . And when ever some one asks for a opinion on mike brown whippets il give them mine . I say what I see thats all

you have your own opinion, thats fair enough. But I've stated the obvious. Its like me going to buy a Labrador from a pet home, and then training it to work with the gun. Yes, it'll work to a certain extent with the right training and entering, but would it be as good or better than one that is bred for work?? The answer to that is NO! Same goes with terriers, I wouldnt buy a border from show stock, and expect it to be a top class digging dog would I. Point proven.

you have your own opinion, thats fair enough. But I've stated the obvious. Its like me going to buy a Labrador from a pet home, and then training it to work with the gun. Yes, it'll work to a certain extent with the right training and entering, but would it be as good or better than one that is bred for work?? The answer to that is NO! Same goes with terriers, I wouldnt buy a border from show stock, and expect it to be a top class digging dog would I. Point proven.

people buy show whippets and have success in the field :thumbs:

who said you need to go worker to worker have a look at the horse breeding world pigeon world they all breed sons/daughter/grandchildren of champions pigeons never out of the loft producing champions. horse never on a race coarse producing champions you stand a better chance worker to worker but the other ways work to. in the lurcher world they look for a line like irish lady lucky the dark destroyer.

Mmmm anyone with any understanding :whistling: now these Champion pigeons must have done something to merit the title Champion surely?

Clonmel next month 64 dog puppy Derby and 64 bitch puppy Oaks now how many different sires will there be covering those 128 puppies? Bexhill Eoin had 45 pups qualify last year out of the 128 :thumbs: Bexhill Eoin, his sire and his grandsire all won the Derby so to me that says winners/workers produce winners :whistling:

Irish Lady and Lucky were greyhoundxsaluki

As for the horses they use a stallion to suit, no good putting a 11/4mile mare to a 6furlong or vice versa is it?

Y.I.S Leeview

With all due respect onthebeam mb is using the word working whippet NOT actually working them so how will they be better than the labrador your buying from a pet home and expecting to work? you've already answered that I see

Y.I.S Leeview