ladder traps

Im going to make a ladder trap this winter to catch some of the thousands of rooks which are on the estate that Im on. Has anybody had any experiance of usng them? What would be the ideal place to site the trap? Under/close to the rookery or on fields where they feed? Would I be best to site it under the flightline or will they fly off of the flightline to have a look. Do they work year round or should I only run it in the spring when I set the Larsens going? As for baiting it and getting them feeding confidently what should I feed them with,as I cant get a good supply of eggs now we dont have any laying hens?

Thanks David

YOU WANT TO BAIT IT WITH WHEAT OR BARLEY AND LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN OR ROOF OFF TO LET THEM GET USED TO FEEDING FROM IT FOR A WEEK OR SO. THEN SET IT AND YOU WILL HAVE A RIGHT CATCH. IT SHOULDNT MATTER WHERE YOU PLACE IT. WE HAVE 4 OF THEM ON OUR ESTATE AND CAUGHT 2800 ROOKS AND JACKIES THIS YEAR SO FAR! :toast:

The best results come from building the trap bit by bit .Build a corner section and bait heavily then add another side whilst still baiting and the birds are using it .Add the other side so they have to first perch on the tops before dropping in .Keep the same bait that you intend to use for a final catch .Put the lid on but not the ladder and let them use it for a day or two.Finally add the ladder .Empty the trap at night or you will catch no more .Leave a few birds in but provide water and you will then catch regularly but always empty the trap at night .Also forgot to say that its best to add to the trap in the building stage in the evening when the feeding frenzy is over .Good luck mate and get the results up on here .

Bait is not important ,bread, grain ,eggs use the lot if you can get it but make sure its full of food all the time or you wont catch the maximum birds.As for sighting we had best results alongside our maze cover crop that the crows were hammering,feeders too would be a good site.Dont make it too public either as you will have someone let the out and then its game over .

What I want to know is how big to make it if you are then going to go into the trap to catch by hand the birds and wring their necks. It has to be man size so you can get in.

The one in the video looks a little small to get into easily.

Presumably you use gloves and catch them as they fly round the trap?

What I want to know is how big to make it if you are then going to go into the trap to catch by hand the birds and wring their necks. It has to be man size so you can get in.

The one in the video looks a little small to get into easily.

Presumably you use gloves and catch them as they fly round the trap?

the trap can be made to suit the person using it, that one's owned by a very small farmer :laugh:

you empty a ladder trap ONLY AT NIGHT so birds are usually perching rather than flying

THE BIGGER THE TRAP, THE BIGGER BAGS AND EASIER IT WILL CATCH. ALL OURS ARE 12 FEET SQUARE AND 6 FEET HIGH. AS FOR BAIT ROOKS AND JACKIES EAT CEREAL, WHEAT, BARLEY ECT SO BAIT THEM WITH THAT!!!!!!!!!!ALOT CHEAPER THAN EGGS AND HOW LONG WOULD AFEW EGGS LAST WITH ANYTHING UP TO 200 ROOKS IN?? WHEN WE USE THEM IN SPRING FOR CATCHING CARRIONS THEN WE USE DEAD STUFF COZ THATS WHAT THEY EAT!!! AS FOR KILLING THEM ON A NIGHT I THINK ITS MORE OF AN OLD WIFES TALE AS WE HAVE NEVER BOTHERED DUE TO THE FACT WE WOULD BE WORKING 24 HOURS A DAY IF WE HAD TO EMPTY OURS ON A NIGHT AND IT HASNT EFFECTED OUR CATCH RATE. WE HAVE ROUNDERS BATS AT EACH OF OUR TRAPS TO SORT OUT THE BLIGHTERS. :whistling:

WE USE OURS IN THE SPRING FOR CATCHING CARRIONS COZ THATS WHEN THEY BECOME TERRETORIAL WITH EACH OTHER AND THE GROUSE AND OTHER BIRDS WILL BE LAYING SO WANT RID OF THEM BEFORE THEY DO. THEN CATCH THE ROOKS N THAT AFTER THE CARRIONS HAVE STOPPED CATCHING COZ THEY ALL COME TO OURS FOR THE PHESANT AND PARTRIDGE FOOD WHEN WERE REARING AND THE YEARS YOUNG HAVE FLEDGED AND ARE PISS EASY TO CATCH!!

• 4 months later...

WE USE OURS IN THE SPRING FOR CATCHING CARRIONS COZ THATS WHEN THEY BECOME TERRETORIAL WITH EACH OTHER AND THE GROUSE AND OTHER BIRDS WILL BE LAYING SO WANT RID OF THEM BEFORE THEY DO. THEN CATCH THE ROOKS N THAT AFTER THE CARRIONS HAVE STOPPED CATCHING COZ THEY ALL COME TO OURS FOR THE PHESANT AND PARTRIDGE FOOD WHEN WERE REARING AND THE YEARS YOUNG HAVE FLEDGED AND ARE PISS EASY TO CATCH!!

Ive just made a ladder trap yesterday , but hve no experience in trapping at all I have searched the net trying to get designs etc there all similar, but the space in the ladders is the crucial thing and ive heard everything from 4 to 8 inches . Can anyone help?

mine are 6 inches apart and works A1.

Are you using yours now and what are you catching ? also where are you putting it ? really unsure of trap placement etc, any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Will it help if I put a bird from my larsen in ie a carrion or will this then make jacks and rooks not go near.

Dave

tried to put picture of my trap in but for some reason its not letting me

mine are 6 inches apart and works A1.

Are you using yours now and what are you catching ? also where are you putting it ? really unsure of trap placement etc, any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Will it help if I put a bird from my larsen in ie a carrion or will this then make jacks and rooks not go near.

Dave

tried to put picture of my trap in but for some reason its not letting me

caught a grey/carrion yesterday in my larson and put him into the ladder trap(first time out this year)and there was 4 in with him today grey's.. I have only ever used it for grey's and magpies and never had a jack or rook go into it,as for placing it i take it from farm to farm out in the bog in forestry's just about anywhere i can out of public view.