Large dogs and bitches for rabbits

What peoples opinion on larger lurchers over 26 inches with no whippet blood for rabbits how do they fair in the field compared to lurchers with whippet in them I've always had a beddy x whipet/greyhound but the fields I seem to be lamping recently on are larger and a think a larger x mite be some help to my beddy x as hes only 21tts, please no stupid comments just a genuine bloke looking for genuine advice thanks all

ive seen dogs that were 30tts take rabbits with no problems also seen some that couldent get there head down to pick a rabbit up aswel, i cant see the point in running a huge cross i.e 28/30tts when your only after rabbits, if you are wanting an allrounder then 24-26tts is ideal, :thumbs:

Isn't length a factor with height aswell adds to the stride so I believe. I was thinking something around 26-27tts a mate has a saluki/grey x 1/4 collie 3/4greyhound as got a lot better top end and suites our newer feilds well and does better then in the smaller fields where my beddie x becomes the daddy of the field lol, just looking for as much advice as possible before making my decision to rear a dog from pup to assist in future.

One bloke mentioned that he couldn't see any difference in his two big or small has any one else found this as I've noticed a huge difference in big fields between me and my friends like said in the smaller fields my very turnable beddie is outstanding but larger fields lacked the pace on long open runs , thanks for all comments so far

stick to the little beddy cross the fields might be geting biger but the rabbits arnt.iv got simalar dogs off 19 inc and run them all over.doesnt mater [bANNED TEXT] fields you run in your still runing the same quarry.stick to the little dog all it means is the rabbit has further to run

size is an important factor when running dogs on rabbits but if the dog wants that rabbit bad enough then they will get them in my area large dogs are not too hot on the rabbits though on some of my other permissions they do really well

giving any size a dog is always worth a try as you dont know how well it will perform till you get it out and find out :thumbs:

atb john

Guest joely b

as the saying goes would rather have a biggin than a littlin . seen some big dogs take bunnys at ease 27tts 29tts . the son has a 23tts bedy x greyhound, thats a cracking bunny basher , and a 27tts merle n eve x . that is better than the little bitch . just makes it look so easy good to watch . i have a minshaw that is hitting 27tts 11mths old and making easy work of bunnys

I have two here which are a little large. This one is 28tts, now I'm not going to say he takes rabbits with ease because I've seen 23tts dogs struggle with a wise rabbit or two.

What I can say is, that he catches his rabbits well and with punch.

sro2010freeze.jpg

sro2freeze2010.jpg

Guest filthy animal

I have two here which are a little large. This one is 28tts, now I'm not going to say he takes rabbits with ease because I've seen 23tts dogs struggle with a wise rabbit or two.

sro2010freeze.jpg

sro2freeze2010.jpg

Now thats my style of dog :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

If the dog can reach down to eat its dinner it'll catch f*****g rabbits!!!

• Like 1

sro2010freeze.jpg

sro2freeze2010.jpg

Now thats my style of dog :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

If the dog can reach down to eat its dinner it'll catch f*****g rabbits!!!

I'm shocked you like! :icon_eek:

He does have saluki in him though....still like?

:whistling: