your fox traps

with the cold snap and plenty of snow have they been useable or the snow hampered the tripping mechanism

i ve had my trap set where i saw 2 foxes on the scrounge for around 3 wks ,i know its too early to catch one yet

as it takes a while for them to get used to it , ive set it tight up to some pig wire next to some haylidge bales

the birds ive throw about the trap have disappeared but not lucky enough to trap one ,

ive baited it up with a smelly woodpigeon and a fresh pheasant,i can see the trap through my binos from my landing window so i dont have to walk close to it to check it

good luck

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the weather is not a problem you mite want to try rabbit or you can try dog or cat meat i fine thats good. try baiting way from the trap not far 10ft for aweek then bait in the trap. See how you go.

Posted Images

yes.

have you had them baited up for a while now ?

have you had a lot of snow your way(whatever part your in)?

which bait has most effect this weather if you dont mind answering that

cheers for your response

lee

had one the weekend. coypu as bait.

hunting1675.jpg

:thumbs: the weather is not a problem you mite want to try rabbit or you can try dog or cat meat i fine thats good. try baiting way from the trap not far 10ft for aweek then bait in the trap.

See how you go.

Good luck mate.

Marry Chrismas

Hawkhigh

• Like 1

:thumbs: the weather is not a problem you mite want to try rabbit or you can try dog or cat meat i fine thats good. try baiting way from the trap not far 10ft for aweek then bait in the trap.

See how you go.

Good luck mate.

Marry Chrismas

Hawkhigh

yeh thanks for the tips if i use dog or cat food how do i set the pulley mechanism?

do i bag it up on the wire ?

also walked around field other day only to find the farmers top tup

laid dead in another hedge back same field ,only fresh and ive not been up since to find out if its been attacked

by charlie

so i m not convinced my trap will work till the farmer clears it away

ps my mate has had one weekend gone and his bait was totally rotten and hardly out left just carcass and bone

so i'll just have to wait and see ,also one has been knocked over on the main road 2 fields away so i could be trying to catch the one now

See how you go.

Good luck mate.

Marry Chrismas

Hawkhigh

yeh thanks for the tips if i use dog or cat food how do i set the pulley mechanism?

do i bag it up on the wire ?

also walked around field other day only to find the farmers top tup

laid dead in another hedge back same field ,only fresh and ive not been up since to find out if its been attacked

by charlie

so i m not convinced my trap will work till the farmer clears it away

ps my mate has had one weekend gone and his bait was totally rotten and hardly out left just carcass and bone

so i'll just have to wait and see ,also one has been knocked over on the main road 2 fields away so i could be trying to catch the one now

i use a clear food bag fill it the stab it with my knife.

For the tub the farm willn't leave that in the hedge over night he would get it.

You can start baitting and fine out.

Let us know

take care

ive just been to my trap as its been in situ for 16 days and not had any movement as i can see from my landing window ,ive seen 2 foxes now kicking about so i thought i'd check it out just in case something is a miss and i was right ,the bait had gone, well not visible just bones on the floor ,ive senn carrion knocking about so im not convinced a fox has eaten it inside the trap and left its bones and not triggered the pulley

i'll re bait it tomorrow how often should i check it close up but i dont want my scent there all the time

any ideas and could crows go inside and peck away without it been triggered

thanks for any replies

Put some photos of your set up the more the better,I use a dead chicken strip a fair bit of the feathers of make it look like a kill,make the inside of the cage look like the den with the bait at the end,i.e. soil on the floor with bits of feather and bones.

yeh i will do just got this reply as ive been busy feeding up pheasants

the cage is a standard 2"weld mesh 20"x20"x4'long converted from peddle to pulley system with metal runners at front

ill post some pics possible later on today or t'morra as its my birthday today

thanks for the info

much appreciated

lee

Put some photos of your set up the more the better,I use a dead chicken strip a fair bit of the feathers of make it look like a kill,make the inside of the cage look like the den with the bait at the end,i.e. soil on the floor with bits of feather and bones.

yeh i will do just got this reply as ive been busy feeding up pheasants

the cage is a standard 2"weld mesh 20"x20"x4'long converted from peddle to pulley system with metal runners at front

ill post some pics possible later on today or t'morra as its my birthday today

thanks for the info

much appreciated

lee

Sounds like mine. I use the peddle and put down minced meat so it cannot just pick up the bait and bugger off.

I do recommend baiting it a few days with the door wedged so it doesn't catch it first time, so then both foxes become confident entering it.