LEARNING ANOTHER JOB

i decided to introduce the pup to the air rifle today because as an all round mooching dog i will expect her to accompany me on my shooting forays and retrieve any game shot whether it be fur or feather.

i particularly wanted her to retrieve a small corvid as i find that out of all the game a dog has to retrieve the corvid family is the least palatable to a dog maybe its the dusty feathers ??? it was a very windy start to the morning and there wasnt a lot about except for the numerouse rabbits that bounded straight for home as we crunched through the fallen leaves in the wood, just as i thought that us and the rabbits were the only creatures around a squirrel shot accross a clearing infront of us, the pup seen it immediately and was off after it at full tilt striking just as the squig made it to the trunk of a tree where it whent straight into its drey so no shot. we seen 3 others in the trees over the next 30 minutes but all quickly dissapeared into their dreys deneying me a clear shot.

just as i was about to head for home a jackdaw decided to play ball and landed in a tree about 30 yards away giving me a nice clear shot. as it fell it hit a few branches which alerted the pup to what was happening, she sat obediently and watched as it hit the floor before i gave her the signal to fetch, she was off in a straight line to the bird and retieved it in good fashion to my feet.

it was a nice to be out with the gun for an hour just me and the pup and i managed to achieve my aim by getting the pup to see some game shot and retrieve some feather.

THE PICK UP ...............

DSCF0593.jpg

THE RETRIEVE ........

DSCF0588.jpg

DROPPED NICELY AT MY FEET ...........

DSCF0596.jpg

TEGAN WITH HER PRIZE ............

DSCF0598.jpg

GROWING NICELY ...........

DSCF0605.jpg

DSCF0611.jpg

she has certainly grown, and looks very obediant, also make sure the crow is dead before sending her as crows will peck at a dog and it could put her off retreiving them in the future.

it was very dead mate :D:D:D ........

You have that pup looking well mate is it a collie cross? Very obedient..

she is a first cross collie grey .........

Good going Socks. It's great to see a lurcher being introduced to all sides of the sport.

As you know, crows are a bugger for the retrieve. Meg was the only one of mine who would even touch them!

Meg1.jpg

Meg2.jpg

Pup seems to be coming on great guns mate ;)