air gun range

i dont understand ranges if a bird is 30 ft away you aim at his head your sight is zeroed to his head ud hit it but if u stood 5 ft back would u still aim at his head or not and the same with if you stood 5 ft in front or 10ft how high above his head is it

i know i should find out my self but please reply

u lot give some sound advice and im shure il get some

Right , the easiest way for you to understand is do it yourself . If you can set a target out at 25yds it will be very helpful. So , your set at 25 yds , and you`ve zero`d your scope , so you hit the target ,centered at the cross hairs every time ( or near enough ) your ready . Then step closer , by 5 yds and with the cross hairs on the target , see where the pellet lands . It might not be the easiest answer your looking for , but it will help you understand . Once you know how far off your pellet is , you can estimate the `hold over / under` and aim higher or lower to compensate . If you move in / out by 5yds at all different ranges , 5, 10 , 15 , 20 , 25 , 30 , 35 , 40 , you will get the feel of your gun and get to understand your scope . It may sound longwinded , but it will help you no end .

Hi Collie,

What you are talking about all depends on what range you zero your rifle at.

To give you some kind of advice, a normal range for .177 is between 30 to 35 metres and .22, 20 to 25 metres for the best point blank range (an area within your trajectory where your pellet stays within a specified 2.5 cm kill zone width).

Lets say you have a .22, I know .22 but im not very experienced in .177 so ill leave that for the .177 lads to give a example. The following technique is the same though for all calibres, just at different ranges.

You zero at 25 metres.

A UK legal quarry species presents itself at 25 metres.

You aim at the animals brain dead on with the cross hair.

Now the animal is at 30 metres away, 5 metres further than your zero range.

You need to lob the pellet so need to aim slightly above the brain of the animal by maybe ½ a mildot depending on your scope magnification. Dont for now get confused with scope magnification. Just remember aim slightly above the brain with the cross hairs. This is called hold over to a shooter.

Now the animal is at 20 metres, 5 metres closer than your zero range.

You need to aim under the brain by a little bit to ensure the pellet strikes the animals brain correctly. This is because as the pellet goes along its trajectory (flight path towards the ground) it crosses the scopes line of sight 2 times, once at around 10 metres and then again at 25 metres. At the 20 metre point the pellet is high above the scopes line of sight so you need to aim lower to bring the trajectory down to meet the closer target area.

This is called hold under.

Now lets say that the animal is really close at say 5 metres.

In this case you will need to aim high again, this is where a lot of shooters get it wrong and try to aim low because its so close to the rifle.

You need to aim high to lift the barrel as your scopes line of sight is higher than the pellets flight path at that range.

Ill post a little diagram which may help buddy, its what i designed a while ago to help others like you.

What I would say though is dont go shooting animals yet as its clear to me that you are not confident or experienced with the techniques described.

Better spend your time hitting paper buddy and practicing what ive just described.

ATB

Si

Rifle and scope easy guide.doc

Edited by zini

im pretty confident but if the animal is close 5-10 meters u aim higer :icon_eek:

Yes Collie thats the truth buddy but id say around 5 to 8 metres-ish :thumbs:

You can either trust me on it or go and try it yourself ;)

Si

Edited by zini

hi buddy

please trust si :thumbs:

he told me the other day regarding mil dots and hold unders as well as davyt63,the most helpful people i have met on here along with bill and tony :thumbs:

don't attempt to shoot at live quarry until you are a 100% sure as you may injure the animal

atb steve

print out targets an have a practise its the only way dude. when i started i just took a concealed position at a set distance from where i knew they would hop out from (same set distance i zeroed at) and just waited (no need for under/over hold) :thumbs:

• Like 1

say now u got under a animal in a tree he wasnt up far 5 meters and your scope is set st 25 were woud u aim

dude just f**kin concentrate on the targets an the staionary animal(rabbit) on the ground or i am going to ask the mods to have a hide button like on face book an hide you. :whistling:

hi collie, you might wanna try watching some of si's films on youtube as well mate, (zinaroon) as you can see some of the stuff he's explained on there and watching it might make it easier to understand :thumbs:

also, some good books worth reading are-

hunting with air rifles by John Darling

total airguns by Pete Wadeson

theyre both packed with info about most stuff you'll need and worth putting on a christmas list mate. dont worry about buying loads of fancy kit buddy,most of its just flash designed to part you with your hard earned, you'd be better off spending your money on pellets and maybe a re-settable knockdown target so you can get your eye in and get used to how your gun shoots at different ranges, then its down to the 3 P's- practice, practice and practice. if youre desperate to go hunting, the as said before do some static hunting, set yourself up near a warren at a range youre comfortable with, maybe set a couple of markers out at your minimum and max ranges and pop a couple from there.

best of luck, wurz