A day on the ranges

They were not in direct view of the other lads and lasses that came to pay thier respects buddy but were on the outskirts waiting as the coffin passed by.

I think if they were in the main town there would of been major problems that day for sure and the police wouldn’t have been able to stop it happening.

My mate was a signaller on a FST when he got killed mate.

He was trying to save a section that was pinned down by Taliban and paid other country mercenaries by calling in CAS when the sniper took him through the cheek and out the back of his head.

He was only 500 metres from the FOB too.

Best of luck when you get out there mate.

Keep your head down and look after your men.

Si

cheers si,

theres a few lads from 3rd attached to us chestnut troop i think,havent seen much of them so dont know any names.

i see youve been posted away from salisbury?

thats a shame as i was hoping to get a few courses in at larkhill after tour and take my air rifle,lol

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have to say it's sad to see the feeling about people of different ethnic background. As Si says, that is the HUGE minority. Yes, it's wrong for them to come out and preach hatred and anti British sent

i am not an educated man neither is my knowledge on current affairs great but from my point of view and the view of many of my peer group(squaddies). our general view is that our grand fathers faught

I'm old-school ex military; from an old family with a long, long history of military service going back to the Hundred Years War with Edward the Black Prince and Henry V.   There are a lot of people

Brunty, when you get back, see if you can get to Capel Curig for decompression and some AT, Ill gladlytake you out for a shoot mate.

[/quote

really? that would be awesome as i am penciled down for at up there!.again,im always up there lol.that would be awesome,cheers :thumbs:

Hi Brunty,

It will be C Battery lads and lasses that you will meet up with over there buddy as they go there very soon (not saying a date for obvious reasons).

Chestnuts is 1st RHA.

I know your RSM (Nocker Powell)very well as I spent a year on GCC with him learning ballistics and gunnery etc.

I also know Will Flemming, Pat Patterson and Kel Kellet as they were on the same ballistic course as me.

All good lads.

Si.

Please don't get me wrong. There's a BIG difference between freedom of speech, and throwing eggs at soldiers. Anyone who assaults a member of our armed forces without good reason (I'm not talking about someone giving a squaddie a slap in a bar brawl, but anything that's done cold blooded and sober) should be made to spend five minutes in the company of said member, in a locked room. I wouldn't expect the soldier to touch him, but I'm sure he'd come out shaking like a leaf!

Use the law to it's full extent to prosecute anyone who uses hatred to achieve their aims. If someone is assaulted, then someone should be prosecuted for it.

As an aside, I said I was sad to hear the ideas being expressed, I didn't say for one second that they shouldn't be expressed! I do understand the feeling amongst the military guys. I grew up with loads of soldiers and airmens sons, and have several mates in the forces, so I know what goes on.

On a happier note, Capel Curig, love that place! Spent many a happy week up there doing E&E and walking the hills with cadets. Snowdon in the middle of November was always a favourite, running up it in shorts and T-shirt. That was the late 90's though, probably wouldn't be able to take cadets out on the hill up there now!

Matt, no worries mate, and my post (and basically any of my ranting posts!) arent ever aimed in direct response to other peoples thoughts/posts, its great being able to just get it out there mate. No dramas :)

Cadts on Snowdon, yea loads of them about, all in civvy dress though, they all tend to stay at Capel barracks so nothing changed there. New dining/cooking area built on barracks now, very modern affair, all wood and modern, god knows how they got planning permission in the national park for it though, i wonder why? :hmm:

When soldiers return to the country after active duty they should be Embraced, Respected, Welcomed with open arms and bloody well looked after.

If you can't do that then you have no place here, Regardless of how you stand on war and politics these men and women have gone to make the ultimate sacrifice for you and your country.

And I honestly mean totally regardless of your views you should have at least the f*****g respect and the morale fiber to welcome every soldier back to our shores.

I am proud to be English, Proud to be British, I am proud of what are army has achieved, Every story of a lost soldier fills me with sadness but up most respect. This country needs to start looking after it's men and women Fallen and Serving.

You can protest and have your say, But not when there coming home!!!

Be Proud Be British And Be Thankful To The Men And Women Who Serve Your Country.

Karpman

I'm old-school ex military; from an old family with a long, long history of military service going back to the Hundred Years War with Edward the Black Prince and Henry V.

There are a lot of people today, of my generation I'm sorry to say who are very quick to put down the young folks as being dim, undisciplined morons who infest estates and town centres with crime.

This is so bloody unjust.

The same youth from the same towns and estates that I see joining and serving today are bloody magnificent.

Just as good and true, by and large, as the generations that fought before them. It breaks my heart to hear of and see some brave boy coming home in a flag draped coffin, only to find the dignity of his family in grief at his homecoming being marred by threats of, if not actual protests from what I refuse to see as anything other than sympathisers of the enemy.

During WW2 and WW1, my father's and late grandfather's wars, such people could be imprisoned FOR LIFE or shot for such treason as Pro German/Nazi sympathist views were regarded.

My own eldest lad Dale is going for the Royal Navy and Josh wants to go for the RAF Regiment or the Army when he leaves school. I just want this nation and those who claim to love it and be proud ofbeing a part of it, to be a land where Regimental parades and flags are delighted in and welcomed as they were when I was a youngster. Where a soldier, sailor or airman can walk the streets of his own country in complete safety and be respectfully left in peace at least.

And if it should be that, my boys are among the unfortunates who come home in a flag draped coffin, I would want their sacrifice to be honoured with a simple salute and a comforting word.

Not to the braying of bloody treacherous savages with the protection of the police.

And in my day, I would have happily gone hunting after that Chechen b*****d and ruthlessly tracked him down and killed him. Not put him in hospital for a few months. I hope to God one of ours has nailed him, before he's been spirited away.

Sorry if some find my views strong.

• Like 1

When soldiers return to the country after active duty they should be Embraced, Respected, Welcomed with open arms and bloody well looked after.

If you can't do that then you have no place here, Regardless of how you stand on war and politics these men and women have gone to make the ultimate sacrifice for you and your country.

And I honestly mean totally regardless of your views you should have at least the f*****g respect and the morale fiber to welcome every soldier back to our shores.

I am proud to be English, Proud to be British, I am proud of what are army has achieved, Every story of a lost soldier fills me with sadness but up most respect. This country needs to start looking after it's men and women Fallen and Serving.

You can protest and have your say, But not when there coming home!!!

Be Proud Be British And Be Thankful To The Men And Women Who Serve Your Country.

Karpman

Spot on, mate. :thumbs::thumbs:

Sib

Cheers Si.

I know how you might feel about the way of things today but, the vast majority of us still hold you and the lads serving today in the highest regard with our love and our prayers. I often had thoughts about, what the hell is all this sense of honour and service and pride, really bloody worth in this day and age? But, then again, who would stand up for the rights and freedoms of those who cheerfully get up every morning and just get on doing what they do? It sure as hell ain't the bloody politicians, or the scum in the banks, they aren't worth an effing toss put together and never have. But the old lass who picks up her bit of pension and makes do or the young school girl here I saw, weeping for S/Sgt Olaf Schmidt's widow however, is worth it.

God bless you and your boys mate.

Simon