does the allround lurcher

Guest deerhound hunter

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this thread is a ridiculous,ive owned malmute xs and there no match for a good bullx, thats what its all about with trigger an flint,they call me a bully but im open to offers with challenges for my

And bad bull x's are very,very common.........not knocking bull x's its just the sheer volume of the breed around.

slow down,big bully types may be but a 1\4 wouldnt slow a lurcher down,ive seen good half crosses plenty quick enough for rabbits,hare and fallow but thats different to the original question, for me

Posted Images

just heard alot of people say that the best allround lurchers are their bullsx ,do,nt get me wrong i keep bull x my self and have no problem with them whats o ever ,just wondering years ago when people wer,nt breeding bulls into their lurchers ,the deerhounds,collies,salukis,weatons,beddys they all done the job ,so do yous lads think they still can do the job without bull in the mix ,for me the best allround lurcher must have ;good feet ;good nose;good brain;stamina;a nice deep chest;high preydrive ,you could proberly get this in some bullx ,just want your opions lads and lasses ,as above said do yous think that the best allrounder lurcher have 2 bull in their i the mix ,.....atb...dh :thumbs:

no, but it can help if you are running the tackle that bites back FACT, :thumbs:

bull blood is not needed for an allrounder untill you include certain quarry into the ecaution,

the line off allrounders me an my mates keep are more than capable of ferreting/bushing/lamping,you can even take them out at night shooting an they will retrieve 100%,theyve taken r/h/f/d in good numbers,

however the benifit of bull blood and its advantages are obvious when it comes to certain things,

Bollocks....

And we are talking running dogs here, arent we. Not drawing dogs...

Why is it bollox like ??he is talking about running dogs things that bite back dont stay below ground every minute of there life,why does everybody assume folks mean drawing dogs when they say stuff like that,if a terrier mans on top dogs job was purely for drawing as you say they would all just keep real heavy bruisers pure bull or mastiff types i know i would, but they dont do they because they keep something that can run as well because they do use them for running quarry on top, so a terrier mans all rounder may be different to what you class as an all rounder,i would hardly keep the type of lurcher you keep for the type of work i do, it just wouldnt cope with it as well as the type i use,and you wouldnt keep the type of lurcher i keep as it wouldnt do well in the type of work you do

regards hedz

bollox?????????????

im ready to go anynight you are with a non bull blooded dog and see them track fallow now there rutting,track red, and of course theres the other thing that bites back?

im not a bull x lover although i can appreciate a good animal of any breed,

i am more than willing to pay all the fuel and supply the game for any body who has a non bull blooded lurcher that can step up to the quarry ive mentioned,

now lets see whos talking bollox???????????

no one is willing to walk the talk with a snakehead with out bull blood.

i will share all the fuel cost with you leec,

if they bring a dog with out bull blood and show you it work every thing the uk has to offer.

what are you trying to prove,if it makes you happy you stay in your own little world,if i didnt know any different i would think you was a young lad with your first dog.

i

Edited by rocky1

my first ever lurcher i had to me was the best allrounder i have kept or seen working. he had no bull blood in him whatsoever although the dogs i have today are bull blooded. this dog was 3/4 greyhound with the rest mixed collie/deerhound. stood 26 tts and took everything day and night. he never let me down and was as game and as hard as any of my mates bull x's that we worked together at that time. r/h/f/d not a problem to him and other teethy things that young boys run. as some people say though, a once in a lifetime dog.

well ive seen the fors and against and there is fair argument but for me having seen quite a few bull type lurchers go at it and owning a few i recon theres always room for good bull blood,it improves on drive and stamina and to be fair bull terriers can be trained well so arnt unintelligent,why not?.

i would,nt say stamina ,i think if out it slows them down,bull x saluki then thats a different ball game :thumbs:

slow down,big bully types may be but a 1\4 wouldnt slow a lurcher down,ive seen good half crosses plenty quick enough for rabbits,hare and fallow but thats different to the original question, for me bull wont slow a lurcher down its got definate advantages in the right proportion.
  • Like 1

i would,nt say stamina ,i think if out it slows them down,bull x saluki then thats a different ball game :thumbs:

slow down,big bully types may be but a 1\4 wouldnt slow a lurcher down,ive seen good half crosses plenty quick enough for rabbits,hare and fallow but thats different to the original question, for me bull wont slow a lurcher down its got definate advantages in the right proportion.

if we had the time nd effort to breed a true allround lurcher,thats one that can hold its owen with anyone of the lads threads on here,or anything some one can come up with?i thinck bull blood would be in the mix to help with the big stuff,now before you all start,,,when i say hold its owen i mean your dog has to pass in the other mans eyes,now how meany dogs can do that,??? :notworthy:

We have a 23" bitch 1/2greyhound, 7/8th whippet and 1/8th deerhound - she is the best bitch we've ever had and had to travel some 2.5 hours to put a similar type dog with no bull over her recently, had a lovely litter.

We also have a bitch with 1/4 bull in her - don't get me wrong - nice dog, does the job but the bitch with no bull outruns her time and time again - she's also 4 years older than her - so it could just be the experience?

For us we prefer them with no bull - but suppose its all down to preference.

The bull bitch is closest in the pic and the whippet/greyhound is furthest away.

post-56941-0-94728700-1292863176_thumb.jpg

post-56941-0-70155700-1292863198_thumb.jpg