My Boys, what type are they? are they too big?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They look big but there hair at this time of year covers a multitude of sins , my sons got two big hob kits i nearly strangled on yesterday putting a collar on it but they can graft if it all went quiet you knew they where on to something and then out pops the rabbit . Get them out and try them then you will know for sure what they can do or get them out for a run round the garden if you think there over wieght .

just reading through the replies, your getting more saying "too big" or "kill underground" etc

for your own peace of mind, and your ferts, get out and try them, I know you aint got a locator, which is why I said in my earlier post, find a small warren, 5 or 6 holes

I had a customer complaining of rabbits in his walled garden, above ground signs made the warren look empty, put two yes TWO jills in, let them run through every hole and NOTHING,did this quite a few times to be sure, just before walking to the next part, I thought Id let "ted" have a run through, as it was rather a hot day, and he fills up the carry box, within seconds of entering him, THREE rabbits bolted :yes:

I give them a run every day!

For sure, they have a secret passage to the fridge somewhere!

I'll give them ago, i'm getting my collar soon if someone post one on here cheap enough!

they come to a whistle so with a bit of luck they'll come back to me!

They are this years Kits, and i'm looking for a good Jill if anyone has one let me know!

Thanks for all the interest though guys! :thumbs:

In my honest opinion I think Stubby has hit the nail on the head.I spent the best part of twenty years keeping only one hob for breeding and only working small jills because I thought I new better and Large hobs would frequently kill underground and I would spend half my life digging.But a few years ago I tryed this hob as I had promised somebody I would do some garden holes for them and my four jills were in the family way.There were young in the burrows and he managed to push them all out without a single kill.

Since then I have found him to be the best I have ever had and as I am replacing my jills I am replacing them with large hobs and getting on great.

Since that first garden job I would honestly estimate this hob has caught me somewere in the region of 350 rabbits and Ive only dug to him 5 times 4 of them multiple bottle ups in stop ends and one single that he had killed but on each of these occasions he had given me oppertunity to lift him before I have put spade to ground.

So as said give him a chance fella :thumbs:

Hope they do you proud mate

ATB

I was a jill's only convert and mine have bolted loads of rabbits but lately i felt i was digging to much as the jills could bottle up the rabbits and if you dug down to them the rabbit was pulling them along the tube a bit .So a mixture of that and two new permissions of big sandy burrows with bigger holes we got to hob kits and they look like there going to be bigger than i like there working well and i havent had to dig them out yet .

I had a customer complaining of rabbits in his walled garden, above ground signs made the warren look empty, put two yes TWO jills in, let them run through every hole and NOTHING,did this quite a few times to be sure, just before walking to the next part, I thought Id let "ted" have a run through, as it was rather a hot day, and he fills up the carry box, within seconds of entering him, THREE rabbits bolted :yes:

In the above scenario are you still of the opinion that all ferrets will work?

Y.I.S Leeview

In the above scenario are you still of the opinion that all ferrets will work?

Y.I.S Leeview

funnily enough, the 2 jills used are my best workers, they have bolted 100's of rabbits for me, it was just on this occassion, either the rabbits were giving them the run around, or they jills couldent find them, who knows what goes on underground, but on this occassion, ted came up trumps as always,

These are my baby brother's, well not really baby but brothers non the less!

There called Buddy & Twix!

really tame, never bit me, one was liking my face as the other was having his picture took!

You think they are too big?

What breed are they?

You could ferret foxes with those chunkers :D