Hi all,

couple of weeks ago i came back off holiday and fetch my black lab bitch back from the kennels where i always take her. as i was walking home with her i noticed a small lump on her bottom two ribs. so i took her to the vets. maybe its me being nieve but i would have thought with a few tests they would be able to tell me what the problem was and what we could do about it, but no two weeks worth of blood tests, bioppses, ultra sounds, x rays and every other test under the sun not to mention the amount of money its cost me. iv just had a phone call and once youve taken away sixteen layers of bullshit they told me what i already f*****g knew its a lump on her side. the only course of action now is to spend anouther small fortune to get the twat taken out. MINT.

so my question is have any of you lads had the same sort of thing happen to you at any time? and are vets just a bunch of robbing fuckers? no offence intended lol.

cheers atb kk21

2 words . . . . . . PET INSURANCE!

All the above you've mentioned is not a worry if the only the thing you have to pay is £60 excess.

When my dogs have a problem, i confidently leave them at the vets and tell them to do what they need to sort the problem. :thumbs:

I am also very lucky that my vet is fantastic, very clued up on working dogs and their lifestyles, never judgemental and i trust him implicitly. :notworthy:

All the above you've mentioned is not a worry if the only the thing you have to pay is £60 excess.

When my dogs have a problem, i confidently leave them at the vets and tell them to do what they need to sort the problem. :thumbs:

your right but thats not the point im trying to make if she did have the opperation, because they dont know what it is theres nothing to say it wont come back again, and to me to put the dog through somthing like this once is bad enough but when shes got to go through it again isnt fair on the dog. they charge the earth and ment to know what their doing so what you think?

I am also very lucky that my vet is fantastic, very clued up on working dogs and their lifestyles, never judgemental and i trust him implicitly. :notworthy:

the thing is according to panarama report the vets are also ripping of the insurance companies for hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of unnecessary treatment,and it was blatantly shown,just saying thats all

your right but thats not the point im trying to make if she did have the opperation, because they dont know what it is theres nothing to say it wont come back again, and to me to put the dog through somthing like this once is bad enough but when shes got to go through it again isnt fair on the dog. they charge the earth and ment to know what their doing so what you think?

I agree with you, it seems unfair to have to put the dog through more treatment after the substantial tests she's already undergone. However medical science is a vast and complex area, maybe get a second opinion as you would yourself. My bitch went through a year of treatment and tests, including an MRI scan to tell me the symptoms were due to wear and tear after having such an active life. Annoying as it was, the process of the tests is there to rule out what its not . . .so in my bitches case, spinal conditions, ligament damage, hips, and a whole list of other conditions, have now been ruled out to put my mind at rest and allow the dog to continue her normal active, happy life. :thumbs:

the thing is according to panarama report the vets are also ripping of the insurance companies for hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of unnecessary treatment,and it was blatantly shown,just saying thats all

I saw the documentary too. :no: I don't doubt that what they're saying is true, i personally wouldn't use a "chain" vets, like MEDIVET . . . IMO when a service like a vets become a chain operation, you lose quality. I think a lot depends on your choice of vet, like i said, i'm very happy with mine and they have proved themselves to me on numerous occasions. They know my dogs inside out and unlike the documentary showed, treat each one with the time, patience and respect that they deserve. :thumbs:

First i would ask is the lump bothering her, is it painfull or could it catch easy,

has it grown since you first saw it, does it feel attached to anything,

is it hard or soft?

I have two dogs that both have a lump on their rib cages,

on one of the dogs its been there for over 2 years, never grown - never affected the dog,

granted both dogs are getting on in life, but depending on what type of lump your dog does have

and that should have been found out through the byopseys, then it will depend on if its ok to be left or not.

vets are a last resort for me personally, i had a spaniel with cancer that was 11 yrs old and i knew the best course was to just have her PTS as she was suffering but the vet insisted on blood biopsies etc and it ended up costing me over £300 and still having the dog put down. On the other hand the vet i used last was spot on because i knew what i wanted (mis-mate shot) so it was in and out no problems, so it goes to show if they think you are naive and not clued up they will take you for a ride.

I wonder which year at vet school they learn how to drag out a few more months of suffering on a dog, so as to maximise profit.

Unfortunately I kind of have the same opinion .

Ive had two dogs put down this year, 13 and 14 years old. The collie had Kidney failure but thy wanted to give him a couple of extra weeks. I loved this dog like no other.But it was me that said no to the vet, once the decision had been made, the vet said she would have done the same if it were her dog.

Second was a terrier with 'Westie lung' incurable, but was causing problems at 14 years old.. Wife took her to vets and guess what..Steroids, drips, antibiotics..etc..etc.

1 week and £500 later poorer, I ring vets, speak openly about their course of action, tell them they are taking the piss, vet agrees, no long term prognosis??? I mean WTF???censored.gif Dog PTS next day, vet agrees if it was her dog, would have done the same... blink.gif

Both dogs have had very happy lives, loved to bits, spoilt rotten... Spared endless treatment and suffering.. thumbs.gif No guilt here!!