First venture of the season

Well, the day started with a long treck from the road up onto the hill face.

On the way, I passed various woods, some of which have the odd hole or two. After attempting a few to no avail (werent even kicked out) I thought I had been to soon in the year for rattling the holes.

As I made my was further up onto the hill, the land becomes very steep and the last wood before the levels is a thin plantation of birch and scrub. I could see on my way up that the earth in question was kicked out, and although the sun was out, I was optamistic charlie may still be curled up form his long night.

I tied up the two bitches and popped the dog in for a look, who opened up almost immediately.

I fired the nets over and stood back...nothing.

Gave it a while longer, then got the box out.

The first reading was 4.6 on the Barryvox :icon_eek: A daunting prospect when there are 4 of you, never mind when your going solo!

I gave him another few minutes to settle, then took another reading. This time he had stopped it at 2.1. :signthankspin: .

Started the dig which was very easy going due to the light soil, and apart from the thick tree roots, it went without incident.

Broke through and separated the dog and quarry before humanely dispatching her (a scrawny wee vixen who had been sitting in amongst some tree roots giving the dog ping.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjYtMjAxMDEwMDktMTExNy5qcGc.jpg

The dig.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNDItMjAxMDEwMDktMTEyOS5qcGc.jpg

The backfill. (which turned out to be more intense than the dig, as half of it was at the bottom of the hill :doh: . This doesnt convey how steep the hill was, I was struggling to keep a firm footing whilst digging. Big respect to the Barryvox on this one.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjMtMjAxMDEwMDktMTExNi5qcGc.jpg

The spectators. (notice the mark round the tree where they had been doing the ring of death LOL).

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMzUtMjAxMDEwMDktMTExOS5qcGc.jpg

One more.

Anyway, Onwards and upwards as they say.

With the adrenaline still going and the dogs dragging me up the hill, I was at the top level in no time and let all the dogs off for a ratch through the rocks. By this point the rain had started and the mist was closing down the hill like a sheet. But I decided to persevere.

I raked through the piles for a fair few hours, probably only covering 3-4 miles, but an absolute killer as per usual due to the terrain.

Unfortunately there was nothing at home in the piles, cairns or the hill holes that are normally only kicked out at cubbing.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxODQtMjAxMDA5MTktMTMyOC5qcGc-1.jpg

Rock face with a crag 1/2 way up that I had a dodgy session in last season.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxODEtMjAxMDA5MTktMTIzMS5qcGc.jpg

Small rock pile that was loaded with scent and had been holding in the last 24 hrs.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxODctMjAxMDA5MTktMTM0Ny5qcGc-1.jpg

Mist coming in, and getting slippy under foot. Not the best place to break a leg!

All in all it was a pleasant day, and a good start to the season with the dogs keen to go and ready for action. But am away for some grub before I go lamping.

Day off tomorow, so I can have a toes up!

Thanks for reading and ATB for 2010 season, probably wont hear much more from my outings as I always forget the photos and Im no David Harcome with the writing :icon_redface: .

FTB

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, Lamping got written off last night so I decided to have an early night and get out sharpish with the dogs at first light.

Got up at 6 and was at the spot for 7. It was a beutifull morning with the dew heavy on the grass and a slight nip in the air. After a mile walk from the van, I crossed the river and was walking up to the earth. I felt the leads start to pull on from 300 yards away, so I knew something was or had been there(bitch is an exceptional marker).

Tied up the youngster and my wee bitch flew to ground and was on in literally 5-10 seconds. Which, quite frankly, is amazing as the earth has about 20 holes and runs for 100 yards across the banking. Started netting up untill I ran out (need more nets) then started blocking holes. This was on a keepered estate (as all my permission is, according to the law :tongue2: ).

The bitch was screaming on, and had remained in more or less the same spot for 20 minutes. I gave it another 10 then began digging.

This earth ranges from a kick of the turf to 5 foot, but mostly eay digging. Half the earth is on the field side, and the other half in the wood. I got a mark of 2.2 inside the wood.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNTEtMjAxMDEwMTAtMDgxNC5qcGc.jpg

The dig

After about 40 minutes the sound was hollow and i knew breakthrough was close. I could smell the sweat building up underground (oh the joys).

Anyway, long story short, I broke through, separated dog and fox(big dog fox) and humanely dispatched.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNTAtMjAxMDEwMTAtMDgxNC5qcGc.jpg

Breakthrough

I let the youngster and the bitch have a rag at the dead fox to keep her interested and began to backfill.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNjMtMjAxMDEwMTAtMDg1Mi5qcGc.jpg

Backfill

The hole was a joy to dig, nice and loose but not loose enough to have your arse twitching. Could have done with a hand saw for the roots, but when your on your own it becomes very difficult to lug all your gear about (any helpfull tips as to carrying gear, please share).

Couple of picks of the bitch.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNTUtMjAxMDEwMTAtMDg0Ni5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNjAtMjAxMDEwMTAtMDg0Ny5qcGc.jpg

So, all in all another fantastic day, and back home by 10 oclock!

But I guarantee you, I never get it that easy and may go a couple of weeks covering mile upon mile before I hit in again. Sometimes luck has to be on your side.

Pick your day right, and get your timing right and your onto a winner.

The only dampner on the day was when I got back to the van a woman ran out her house shouting and screaming about how I was illegally parked on private property (lies). Once I had beat her argument on that, she looked at the terriers before telling me I was breaking the law controlling foxes :wallbash: .

Ive never been so close to hitting a woman, f*****g nosy cow. She was told in no uncertain terms to mind her own business and f**k off back inside. She took my reg and told me she was going to report me :doh: .

I said bring it on, i've done feck all wrong.

FTB

Edited by FightTheBan