here is a post i put up on a different forum just take out the bits you need ...........

heatstroke can be easily overlooked here are a few tips to spot it and the run down of how it affects the dog .....

Panting

High body temperature

Dehydration

Red (congested) membranes in the mouth and eyes

Rapid, irregular heart rate

Diarrhoea

Weakness, looking dazed

Coma

Death

if the dog gets heat stroke here is the quickest and easyest step by step method of curing the dog .....

Move your dog to a cool, shady spot. Get her out of the direct heat.

Take the dog's temperature (if possible). If it's above 104° F, you want to lower that in 10 to 15 minutes and stop when the dog's temperature reaches 104°. Spray or immerse the dog in cool water. Use cool, not ice cold water! as this will cause shock.

Place cool, water-soaked towels on the neck, feet, and belly.

Let the dog drink if it wants.

Get to the nearest vets.

hope this helps .... some dogs are just to dull to know when to stop so it up to you to have some common sense and clip the dog back on the lead when you think it is starting to overheat ....... one thing to never do is chuck a overheated dog into a river or lake my mate sent his dog in to do a couple of retrieves to cool him down after doing a little bit of training on a hot day and the dog died of liver and kidney failioure which was brought on by shock ... this dog was looking good to be a field trial champion springer and he was gutted that such a simple act turned into a disaster..........

right lets put a misconseption to bed before this thread progresses ... drinking is the LAST requirement for a dog with heatstroke the main requirement is to cool the body before the organs in the body start shuting down .... when the dog has cooled sufficiantly then and only then should you offer a drink and never ever force the dog to drink ..... yes electrolytes are good for a dog BUT only after the body has cooled sufficiantly to handle it ...........

right lets put a misconseption to bed before this thread progresses ... drinking is the LAST requirement for a dog with heatstroke the main requirement is to cool the body before the organs in the body start shuting down .... when the dog has cooled sufficiantly then and only then should you offer a drink and never ever force the dog to drink ..... yes electrolytes are good for a dog BUT only after the body has cooled sufficiantly to handle it ...........

I SHOULD OF COURSE ADDED AN ASIDE WHICH INCLUDED YOUR POST 100% RIGHT OF COURSE BUT WE SHOULD ALL CARRY THEM ELECTROS :yahoo:

Guest chilli

id guess there plenty of silly c**ts about who contribute to the whole scenario makein a hot dog into a heat stroke victim .

mine went of on a mad one last nite an came back in a right state with this thread in my mind i thought id cool her down in the garden so i got the waterin can out put some hot water in it topped it up with cold till it was look warm pored a few of these over her she stood there an let me she normaly would kick up a stink at me doing something like this to her ! so i guess she was enjoying it an her panting slowed down a lot quicker than it has other times

I agree with Socks,...get the dog cooled down first and foremost!...we have had dogs get real hot, even when they have been SWIMMING in the lake...one of the best ways to cool a dog down, is to keep wetting its forehead and neck. The little red bitch i brought over here from the UK nearly died when she first came over...she was REAL sick with heat stroke for a couple of days. Funnily enough, she is the best dog we have in the heat now, and she will work around in the desert even when its 110F...i just call her to me every five minutes and wet her head, then she is off again!...you wouldnt think that you could run a sighthound in the desert, but if its used to the heat and you look after them, you can run them in the heat...salukis and there hybrids seem to be the best at taking the heat...my dogs are still young, so they are having a rest during the hot months...just taking them out in the evening and the like...just be sensible, and keep a VERY wary eye on dogs in the heat..after all, i wouldnt fancy running around in the heat, but dogs dont seem to ind until its to late!...just have common sense about it.

Kye..

i got a good idea.don't work ya bloody dogs in the heat of the day!the biggest killer of dogs here in oz is the heat.if ya love ya dogs work him early morn late arvo and through the night..after all once a dog has been over heated he is not going to be the same again he will cook quicker after gettign cooked the first time,because it has already damaged his kidneys.cheers