Anyone good at doing percentages?

4/8 greyhound

Higgins 4/8 = 1/2, as does 3/6 9/18 16/32 etc etc

Yes 4/8 ths is half or 50%,but i made this point in explaining the percentage of the dam only,the pup would technically be half greyhound.I'm not into percentages

of breeds too much,as said by others on here the gene combinations are passed randomly,instead i look for all the physical,characteristics and trait influences to see if they are expressed,the numbers only give an indication as to what has gone into the breeding,

Higgins.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all hypothetical anyway, a first cross is 50/50 after that, because genes are past randomly, you'll never know what percentage of anything is in the dog.

Yes first crosses you get 50/50 or half crosses,next cross would divide it into

quarters,next it becomes eigths,then sixteenths and so on.After first and second

crosses it becomes difficult to tell what the breeding is, so percentagbes only give an indication as to what amount of each dog has been used for reference,but the genes will recombine and pair randomly so it is difficult to know exactly whbat is in each offspring unless you go through some sort of DNA testing/analysis,

Higgins

It's all hypothetical anyway, a first cross is 50/50 after that, because genes are past randomly, you'll never know what percentage of anything is in the dog.

Spot on.

After first crosses, I personally think your better choosing your lining by the eye rather than on paper.

couldn't put it better myself,too much emphasis on numbers,

Higgins

Romany52 got it right.

Independent segregation of chromosomes (Mendel's 2nd law of inheritance) is random.

A 50/50 cross could produce gametes (eggs or sperm) 100% maternal, 100% paternal or any percentage in between.

The percentage cross is not predictable and is not maintained through generations.

Anything past a 1st cross is a total crap-shoot.

Cheers,

Mark