whats bad food for a lurcher

http://dogs.about.com/od/dogandpuppyhealth/tp/toxins.htm

I was handed a lost dog at the Wolsingham show this year, and asked to find its owner. It came home with us the first night, and would only eat steak and kidney pie. Fretting i thought.

We had to keep him in the spare room that night because of my other dogs.

I did find the owner, and the dog was 12 years old and in very good condition.

The owner said,- he wont eat dog food,- its Sunday, he will be wanting his roast beef and yorkshire pud. He only eats what they eat.

This is him.

04092010005.jpg

I dont agree with whats good enough for us is good enough for them. Sounds like total bollocks to me. Im not a conditioned athlete who grafts hard everynight and as such i dont eat like one. My dog on the other hand is conditioned to run and work. Maybe its just me eating shit all the time but i only feed my dogs 100% raw no scraps or anything else.

Depends what you eat doesn't it. Scraps from sunday dinner = meat and veg. But left over vindaloo or chinese might not be so good.

Well mine get all the scraps, they love Chicken Tikka Masala pilo rice and nan bread few mango chutney popadoms, also chinese chicken curry egg fried rice. A mate of mine eats Chicken Madras and his retired bitch sits and waits for it licking her lips! As someone said above if its good enough for me its good enough for them too. My dogs are piccy so if they didnt like it they wouldnt eat it!

my pup just had leftover keeeebab,meat,onions,lettuce,tomato,cucumber,cabbage, pitta bread,chilli sauce. :laugh:

i got told the other day not to feed my lurcher patoes and left over scraps as will it will make the dog un-fit just wanted to know what everyone eles thought of this

i give em bones and all the scraps even the kidney an liver of the rabbits he cacthers anyyyyyyyyyyyyyy thing :thumbs::thumbs:

Potatoes are a good source of carbs for a dog. However raw potatoes can contain solanine which in large amounts can cause serious illness (it is the same toxin that is found in deadly nightshade) One indication of even heavier concentrations of solanine is when the potato skin is green (as the toxin lies just underneath the skin and should be cut out and removed - even if the potato is to be cooked)

I don't agree with feeding a dog 'junk' as it does effect performance and more importantly recovery following exertion. However, I've got a 15yr old dog who's appetite has decreased over the past few months and I suspect it's to do with him loosing his sense of taste as he's quite keen to eat food with strong flavours. He's daft for chilli so he gets a ladle with his feed if we've had some or a blob of ketchup or basically whatever he fancies. I don't exactly feed him junk, just add a bit so he'll eat the good stuff as well. :thumbs:

my pup just had leftover keeeebab,meat,onions,lettuce,tomato,cucumber,cabbage, pitta bread,chilli sauce. :laugh:

Wouldn't want to be the 1 cleaning the shite up after that lol. Nout wrong with table scraps however regular aslong as it's worthy. Myn get dry mix, and raw beef and tripe. I find the morning before a hard night giving them raw beef chunks helps as it contains lots ov fat.

A few table scraps add variety but avoid onions garlic and dried fruit.

my dogs get garlic all the time in the summer keeps unwanted pest out of there skin if i have or get a dog thats under weight he gets spuds and pasta and gravy pored all over it and plenty of road work builds them up very quickly :thumbs:

Potatoes, pasta etc :thumbs:

garlic :thumbdown: the symptoms are likely to subtle to see but may well be having an effect as even a small drop in red blood cells will reduce oxygen carrying abilities and so stamina etc.

Heinz Body Hemolytic Anemia from Onions

Onions, garlic and chives are all in the Lily family, Liliaceae. Onions are of the genus Allium, and the true onion is Allium cepa, Allium cernuum, is the wild onion, the shallot is Allium ascalonicum, and the green onion (or leek) is Allium ampeloprasm. Garlic is also in the Lily family, Liliaceae, and is related to onions and has similar chemical characteristics. The sulfur compounds found in these plants cause red blood cells to rupture in animals, and dogs, cats and cattle seem particularly sensitive to this problem. Because birds have nucleated red blood cells, and mammals do not, it is thought that this somewhat protects them from the affects of Heinz body hemolysis. Heinz bodies are pieces of oxidized hemoglobin that are found on still intact red blood cells (RBCs). If enough RBCs are ruptured from the ingestion of these compounds found in onions and garlic, this will result in anemia. Red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen to the tissues and for removing carbon dioxide, as well. As the number of RBCs decreases, the animal becomes weaker and the gums and tissues also become pale.

The good news is that the red cells can be replaced by the body as long as the hemolysis stops. In dogs, it takes several days for the red cell count to reach the lowest point after a single large exposure. In chronic exposure at low doses, the anemic effect is lessened because RBCs, also called erythrocytes, are being regenerated as they are being destroyed.

I don't feed them many scraps at all. They're fed once a day mainly tripe and chicken legs, but they'll get heart, liver or kidney added to their feed a few times in the week as well. I also like to give them a warm bowl of Lactol after I've cleaned them up from a hard day out grafting as well.

A few table scraps add variety but avoid onions garlic and dried fruit.

my dogs get garlic all the time in the summer keeps unwanted pest out of there skin if i have or get a dog thats under weight he gets spuds and pasta and gravy pored all over it and plenty of road work builds them up very quickly :thumbs:

Potatoes, pasta etc :thumbs:

garlic :thumbdown: the symptoms are likely to subtle to see but may well be having an effect as even a small drop in red blood cells will reduce oxygen carrying abilities and so stamina etc.

Heinz Body Hemolytic Anemia from Onions

Onions, garlic and chives are all in the Lily family, Liliaceae. Onions are of the genus Allium, and the true onion is Allium cepa, Allium cernuum, is the wild onion, the shallot is Allium ascalonicum, and the green onion (or leek) is Allium ampeloprasm. Garlic is also in the Lily family, Liliaceae, and is related to onions and has similar chemical characteristics. The sulfur compounds found in these plants cause red blood cells to rupture in animals, and dogs, cats and cattle seem particularly sensitive to this problem. Because birds have nucleated red blood cells, and mammals do not, it is thought that this somewhat protects them from the affects of Heinz body hemolysis. Heinz bodies are pieces of oxidized hemoglobin that are found on still intact red blood cells (RBCs). If enough RBCs are ruptured from the ingestion of these compounds found in onions and garlic, this will result in anemia. Red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen to the tissues and for removing carbon dioxide, as well. As the number of RBCs decreases, the animal becomes weaker and the gums and tissues also become pale.

The good news is that the red cells can be replaced by the body as long as the hemolysis stops. In dogs, it takes several days for the red cell count to reach the lowest point after a single large exposure. In chronic exposure at low doses, the anemic effect is lessened because RBCs, also called erythrocytes, are being regenerated as they are being destroyed.

Ive been feeding garlic for 10 years - never affected my dogs,

however i dont give in large doses and never everyday, only every couple of days,

for garlic to sceriously affect a dog, it needs quite a bit of it - at least several cloves at once.

The key to safe use of garlic on dogs is the dosage level and frequency of use. For a dog to develop Heinz-body anemia, he would have to eat over 0.5% of his body weight in onions to even begin the oxidative process. It means a healthy 60-pound dog would have to eat a whole 5-oz onion, or several cloves of garlic, to start the Heinz-body process. Since red blood cells are constantly regenerated from the bone marrow, a dog would likely need to ingest this much amount of onion or garlic on a repeated basis to cause permanent harm.

However, garlic should NOT be fed to pets with a pre-existing anemic condition or to those scheduled for surgery. Also, young puppies before six to eight weeks of age should NOT be given garlic because they do not begin reproducing new blood cells until after 6-8 weeks.

My dogs do get scraps, always have done - if we have had stew,

they get whats left over on there normal food, even if there are onions in, as same again needs large quantitys to affect the dog, they have quite often nicked the spuds, and eaten 5lb of them - never affected them,

like anything its useing your commen sence, a few scraps every now and then

wont do any damage, solong as there not fed on scraps alone.

Its only in recent times - all this on dont give this and dont give that

has come out, at one time scraps and bones is all some dogs were fed,

and most dogs did verry well on them - we never used to see half the illness

we do today.