First night out for me and my dog

Just to say cant wait for tonight first night out on the lamp for me and my dog hes 12 months old and iv bin told to let him be a puppy first so now me and my uncle

who is helping me out with him think its time he told me its better to start them

on a lamp so im going with his advie its always worked for his dogs so hopefully

mine to hes 1/4 greyhound 1/4 lurcher 1/4 sluki and 1/4 greyhound and he aint a bad dog

calmed down loads listens to me ok he runs good just hope it good on a rabbit im not

expecting miracles but if he kills tonyt its a start thanks . BIG ASH .

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to say cant wait for tonight first night out on the lamp for me and my dog hes 12 months old and iv bin told to let him be a puppy first so now me and my uncle

who is helping me out with him think its time he told me its better to start them

on a lamp so im going with his advie its always worked for his dogs so hopefully

mine to hes 1/4 greyhound 1/4 lurcher 1/4 sluki and 1/4 greyhound and he aint a bad dog

calmed down loads listens to me ok he runs good just hope it good on a rabbit im not

Your dog has never ran a rabbit in daylight and your gonna teach it on the lamp??? :blink:

Your dog has never ran a rabbit in daylight and your gonna teach it on the lamp??? :blink:

Why not? Rabbits will feed further out under the cover of darkness and be much easier than a daytime rabbit!!! Good luck tonight fella...........

Why not? Rabbits will feed further out under the cover of darkness and be much easier than a daytime rabbit!!! Good luck tonight fella...........

Yeah, I agree the rabbits will be further out and all that but.... this dog has never been introduced into hunting, the guy doesn't know how it will react after its chased its first rabbit. Loads of problems can arise and I'd prefer it was daylight myself.... The dog hasn't run flat out before like it will when behind a quarry it wants to catch so bad..... a recipe for injuries in my view... but good luck anyhow.

Thanks mate for the positive reply .

Yeah, I agree the rabbits will be further out and all that but.... this dog has never been introduced into hunting, the guy doesn't know how it will react after its chased its first rabbit. Loads of problems can arise and I'd prefer it was daylight myself.... The dog hasn't run flat out before like it will when behind a quarry it wants to catch so bad..... a recipe for injuries in my view... but good luck anyhow.

Most folk I know start their dogs on the lamp. I'm assuming the lad has worked on his recall and has picked the land he wants to run for his first night to stack the odds in favour of the dog, daytime rabbits can be very frustrating to a dog as they hop two yards to safety and cause a dog to either run half hearted or worst stop running alltogether. I start mine on the lamp and it works for me, injuries are always around the corner but thats the joys of working dogs.......

Hes been out in the day not after rabbits but out for walks with my uncles other dogs and they have

pushed couple rabbits out and he has run after them not flat out but more intrested in what they wher

u lot have got me all worried now lol

Edited by BIGASH

Most folk I know start their dogs on the lamp. I'm assuming the lad has worked on his recall and has picked the land he wants to run for his first night to stack the odds in favour of the dog, daytime rabbits can be very frustrating to a dog as they hop two yards to safety and cause a dog to either run half hearted or worst stop running alltogether. I start mine on the lamp and it works for me, injuries are always around the corner but thats the joys of working dogs.......

I suppose it depends on what hunting you do. Personally, all my dogs are introduced to their first rabbits by means of a ferret. This way I "set up" the chase the way I want it with the dog indeed the winner. I'd never walk into a field with an inexperianced dog and expect to get a rabbit to chase that wasn't closer to sanctuary than you. Each to there own.

Hes been out in the day not after rabbits but out for walks with my uncles other dogs and they have

pushed couple rabbits out and he has run after them not flat out but more intrested in what they wher

u lot have got me all worried now lol

Your uncle will keep you right, good luck. :thumbs:

Thank u guys for all the advice it means the world to me because u lot all know what

ur talkin about so ur advice is great my uncle has bein doing it for years so like

you said he will put it right the dog has been out with me ferreting and he has

had a rabbit and sort of dashed toward a rabbit that has slipped the net like i

said thanks for everything it has all been taken in and i hope it goes ok tonight :thumbs:

same here,always started them on the lamp first and never had any problems to date,BIGASH,good luck on your night out mate just take it easy and don't expect to much from the dog :thumbs: