Any one use Series landies?

Hi all,

just wondering if any of you use series landies and if so what set-ups you have? im currently building one from the chassis up, and wondering what engines and tyres you all use?

i was thinking of re-building the standard 2.25 petrol or dropping in a 200tdi instead? or maybe a 2.5NA from an early 90, im going for some range rover wheels but unsure what tyres to put on them

Thanks Jord

Hi all,

just wondering if any of you use series landies and if so what set-ups you have? im currently building one from the chassis up, and wondering what engines and tyres you all use?

i was thinking of re-building the standard 2.25 petrol or dropping in a 200tdi instead? or maybe a 2.5NA from an early 90, im going for some range rover wheels but unsure what tyres to put on them

Thanks Jord

just built a discovery 1 or rather put one back together . 300tdi is a good motor , would pull a coach matey.

looking to do a series or a defender next

just built a discovery 1 or rather put one back together . 300tdi is a good motor , would pull a coach matey.

looking to do a series or a defender next

nice one do you have any pics?

i love my series never driven it though got it when i was 15 for £200, i always loved landies mainly defenders then i saw a series in a magazine and from then on always wanted one and prefered it to defenders etc

Aye

I restored and ran a ser 3 petrol (2.25) was a great motor,, but 11 mpg!!!

19 on a good long run,,very expensive.

heard the 2.5 diesel transut is a good conversion though.

ATB

i know the mpg is not good i try not to think about it but when i do :icon_eek:

i heard that aswell, apparently it gets very very noisey though or so i heard not seen one in the flesh,

im thinking of dropping the petty in for now as i really want to get it up and running i got it 5 years ago :whistling: , then i think i will find a good 200tdi and some range rover axles, drop the engine in as the swap is pretty easy use the series gear box, and convert the range rover axles to leaf sprngs so i have disc brakes :D

Edited by Jordb543

been there done than

200tdi will fit to series gearbox, but will still be slow.

fitting range rover axles is a nightmare up front, if trying for power steering.

if i was you i would get a 200tdi and lt77 gearbox from a rotten disco.put a landy 90 transfer box on, retro fit them into the series,leave the axles and fit 90 diffs remember you have a points system to work to if you want to keep it a series at moy.

in this guise i'd opt for 235/85 r16 or 7.5r16

if its early or tax free, i'd get a nice rebuild on the 2 1/4 petrol, get a zeneith carb, good series 3 syncro gearbox with overdrive, and do bugger all, tyres for this is different.

everyday driving, in town mostly i'd go for 205 r16, longer trips i'd go 235/85 r16/7.5r16 road tyre

if using off road and on road as shooting bus i'd go for something like 235/70 or 205/80 in an all-terrain for good dual manners, definitly i wouldnt run mud terrains on series axles

been there done than

200tdi will fit to series gearbox, but will still be slow.

fitting range rover axles is a nightmare up front, if trying for power steering.

if i was you i would get a 200tdi and lt77 gearbox from a rotten disco.put a landy 90 transfer box on, retro fit them into the series,leave the axles and fit 90 diffs remember you have a points system to work to if you want to keep it a series at moy.

in this guise i'd opt for 235/85 r16 or 7.5r16

if its early or tax free, i'd get a nice rebuild on the 2 1/4 petrol, get a zeneith carb, good series 3 syncro gearbox with overdrive, and do bugger all, tyres for this is different.

everyday driving, in town mostly i'd go for 205 r16, longer trips i'd go 235/85 r16/7.5r16 road tyre

if using off road and on road as shooting bus i'd go for something like 235/70 or 205/80 in an all-terrain for good dual manners, definitly i wouldnt run mud terrains on series axles

Its 1974 so just shy of tax free :wallbash: , thanks for the tips mate ill look into it in more detail when the time comes, think im going to just enjoy it as a standard series when its done, i was looking into lpg conversions too they seem like a good option and not overly expensive, the only thing i dnt like about them is the amount of rear space they can take up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it is possible to get an underslung lpg tank, just need to have a look to see where it could go.

you hit the nail on the head when you said enjoy it as a series, it is a series not a tdci 90,

good luck and enjoy

Will do mate :victory:

Just finished my series 3 200tdi conversion, first legal day in it was wednesday and thursday was spent changing a half shaft!

As mentioned above, it needs ranger diffs for a good job because its so damn low geared.

Thanks for the tip mate, you got any pics of your landy?

Edited by Jordb543

think about a 2.8turbo daihatsu engine mate,cracking conversion!

good post mate , i had a lwb series 2a a few years back that had the above conversion , except mine was not turbo . but it still had plenty of pull and driven sensibly ( around a steady 50 mph ) i was getting 30 mpg :thumbs: .... i still regret selling it :thumbdown::wallbash:

i had a 90 with a 2.8 td isuzu engine, it was a real good set up, when i first had it it had 205/16 tyres and went like a rocket, i played about , ended up being bob tailed with external roll cage 2 winches etc etc etc, gone now.........

still got a series 2a soft top which needs some tlc and just about to get my 110 back on the road after fitting a 300tdi out of a disco.

as for a series im not sure? the 2.25 petrol is ok with a good carb, put on some parabolic springs and your sorted, like been said it a series not a 90.

i got a v8 on the floor of garage i may one day drop into mine..... there again i got a 200 tdi to, and being tax free it could be a good greenlaner. decision descisions....