Preventative measures pay off

I was reminded today about the benefits of having a few traps about the place, set in a safe and discreet manner. And of the importance of checking them.

My neighbour has a large area of decking at the end of his garden, not properly sealed off at the edges and a perfect location for nesting rats. The latest infestation was dealt with during the summer but I have a few MK4s about the place in boxes - ideal for keeping the dog and the kids out of it.

Looks like there was a new tenant taking a look. I just hope he was the advance party and not a new resident.

It also looks like I need to swap that Fenn out for a bit of TLC - it's been a wet summer and permanent sets can get into a pretty bad condition.

post-2748-006623900 1285099910_thumb.jpg

That's a difficult one to answer Mike. It was originally set up as a baited trap but that was some time ago - I think between them the mice, the slugs and the ants will have had the bait away long since.

However it was never placed as a run-through (as you'll see in the pic below) and has the 'under and over' baffles that mean it doesn't look like a run-through from ground level. I stopped using run-throughs some time ago in this location because we had a lot of hedgehogs, some of which seemed very determined.

I think there may have been some vestiges of the bait scent still there and having been in place for so long it had just become part of the terrain to be explored.

post-2748-000793800 1285180128_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...