minks would you kill

hunter1989

who would shoot a minks!!!!!!!  

44 members have voted

1. 1. would you shoot a minks on site

• would you shoot a minks on site
    • or would you leave the mink to carry on hunting
    • or does it depend what and where its hunting

In my personal opinion I would trap it rather than shoot it. And would have to be either if it was for pest control or if it had been doing damage to domestic fowl or other wildlife.

but on a more interesting note:Mink are not native to Britain. They were introduced from America by the fur trade. Those who were turned loose by Animal Rights activists when they raided fur farmers,As a consequence to this raidmany fur farm businesses closed down,But once the Mink were given their release into the wild they soon adapted to the wild and became firmly established on UK waterways.

But then again if I were a fishery owner then it would be killed with no other thoughts.

Edited by akton

In my personal opinion I would trap it rather than shoot it. And would have to be either if it was for pest control or if it had been doing damage to domestic fowl or other wildlife.

But then again if I were a fishery owner then it would be killed with no other thoughts.

Why trap rather than shoot? Surely the end is the same, to destroy it, and shooting is quicker and less stressful than trapping!

Because thats what I do with mink,I use mink cage traps on a regular basis, on various locations,One of these is a fishery, Shooting is not suitable in most places were I use traps.

I provide pest control and due to safety reasons, shooting is not always the safest way of providing that service.

After it has been caught then it is dealt with.

Edited by akton

Ah, see Akton your first post kind of implied that your method of choice, given no other constraints, would be to trap rather than shoot.

Of course there are times and places where shooting is not appropriate/safe, and in those cases trapping is the preferred option. Also it's a good way of catching them when they have become wise to the ways of man-with-gun and got good at hiding from him.

The reason behind opting for the trap rather than the gun, is simple... guns are fine if the oppertunity arises, but this is no guarantee. So for serious mink control, traps are the way to do it. :thumbs:

Traps have several advantages. The main one being that they can be there all day, whereas man-with-gun usually can't. I'd still suggest that if it were possible, shooting would be the better option, though I do understand the expediencies of real world pest control. I've trapped all sorts, and used well it can be very efficient, though Mr Fox deciding to try and steal the call bird from the larsen is always a bit of an issue!

Had a few over the years, used air rifle, trap and terriers flushing to gun, location been the key to what method I use. I have been called out to places where they have wiped out colonies of Voles in drains and ponds where they are destroying not only other small mammals and birds but fish stocks too. Can you imagine the frustration of water owners who have spent thousands on fish stocks only to find the remains on the banks every morning. Personally I think trapping is better, sat there for hours waiting with air rifle and blanked.

Dillan