carp on the fly rod

a while ago i was watching fishing on telly and seen matt hayes using a fly rod with surface baits for carp so when i went last week i noticed my fly rod was still in the car from fishing the river so i thought id give it ago. i struck to early with the first 2 and missed them, then seen a nice 1 comming my way which i nicely hooked in the corner of its mouth . i had floating line and about 8ft of 8lb line then my dog biscuit it took me 25mins to land it and was 20lb. great fun i will be doing more of it next summer .

atb TH22

post-32404-037792100 1284202958_thumb.jpg

nice fish :thumbs: ellerbeck farm mate?

yes pal i fish ellerbeck quite alot i went back the next day and caught another 3 at 13lb , 16lb and 17lb but not with the fly rod just my normal surface gear there was other people on the pond where you can only fly fish because of the trees and bushes

Bit more fun than spending the night in a kid's play tent waiting for a buzzer to go off I'll bet. Lovely catch. :thumbs:

A few years ago a mate and I were trout fishing from a boat at Weirwood and he actually hooked a carp on a fly . It was a real comic situation with me desperatly trying to keep the boat under control and him muttering instructions and curses at me every time his backing started to reach a critical point .In the end I managed to get it part way into the trout-sized landing net and unhook it in the water. It was a real hand shake moment and that one "only" weighed around 12 pounds or so .

• 5 weeks later...

Good result, nothing beats catching carp off the top. :thumbs:

its the best way to catch carp, its unreal the buzz you get when you spot them coming towards your dog biscuits on the top especially on the fly rod when you know you`ve got a fight on your hands for a good 20mins +

post-32404-079455200 1287776329_thumb.jpg