breeding ferrets

dont mean to be cheeky mate, but if your on here asking the question youve just asked like, whats a ferrets breeding procedure, then in reality you shouldnt be breeding ferrets, more to the matter why do you feel the need to breed the ferret youve got?

im not trying to breed them mate i want to put 2 ferrets in the same hutch and i dont want loads of ferrets kits, thats why im asking about the breeding cycle,

Simon does the hob have visable testes ? or have they gone back in the body now ?

iv not got it yet

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure why people should be scared to admit they bred there ferrets .. most of the regulars on here will always advise that anyone intending to breed does there homework but there's certainly nothin

Like babys some of you on this forum the lad only asked a question and you are giving him a lecture ffs get a grip boys. :wallbash:

Well said Coinin, Si mate fair enough you could of worded your first post better tongue2.giflaugh.gif but they should be ok together till next spring when the days start to get longer. As the longer hours of day light brings them in to breeding condition, if you need any advice you know how to get in contactthumbs.gif

Ferrets are photoperiodic,which means their breeding cycle changes due to the amount of daylight,now days are getting shorter the jills will stop coming in to season and the hobs will become less sexually active and thier testicles will retract back into thier body.Now some people keep thier ferrets indoors under artificial lights that are on until the owners turn them off at night,this basically cocks the cycle up and jills are coming into season during the winter months.

IMO the most natural way to keep a hob and an entire jilltogether is to have your hob vasectomised, that way when your jill comes into season the hob can mate her without getting her pregnant and sher will come out of season naturally because its the act of mating that makes the jill think shes been made pregnant. their is the chance that the jill will have a phantom pregnancy but again its quite natural.

Ferrets are photoperiodic,which means their breeding cycle changes due to the amount of daylight,now days are getting shorter the jills will stop coming in to season and the hobs will become less sexually active and thier testicles will retract back into thier body.Now some people keep thier ferrets indoors under artificial lights that are on until the owners turn them off at night,this basically cocks the cycle up and jills are coming into season during the winter months.

IMO the most natural way to keep a hob and an entire jilltogether is to have your hob vasectomised, that way when your jill comes into season the hob can mate her without getting her pregnant and sher will come out of season naturally because its the act of mating that makes the jill think shes been made pregnant. their is the chance that the jill will have a phantom pregnancy but again its quite natural.

good reply,but vas hobs dont always work as i have found out in the last week.hadnt planned on a kits this year,but two of my jills got pregnant.fortuanaely my eu hybrids kits died she was only a year old and her 1st litter.think she just let them die which was ok for me.my other jill just dropped a litter on sat.god knows how many are there,last tme i bred her was 2year ago and she had a litter of 14 :blink:

I do agree a vas hob is a must,but just dont think cause a you get it done then thats you sorted as i have found out to my cost.

I was saying in my opinion its the most natural way without the babies. and i know that vasectomies can reverse after a while,though ive never had one happen not in 24yrs.

I reckon people use the 'oh my vas hob hasnt worked my jill is pregnant' card far too much,i mean its just an excuse to explain that you havent realy bred your ferrets on purpose :glare:

I was saying in my opinion its the most natural way without the babies. and i know that vasectomies can reverse after a while,though ive never had one happen not in 24yrs.

I reckon people use the 'oh my vas hob hasnt worked my jill is pregnant' card far too much,i mean its just an excuse to explain that you havent realy bred your ferrets on purpose :glare:

i hope that wasnt directed at me mate?ive kept ferts since i was a kid and i only breed when i need to and thats on a rare occasion.maybe you shouldnt judge people that you know f**k all about.

i have one vas hob that does the job no prob s,but my recent addition hasnt.

Edited by scothunter

I wasnt directing it at you, why so defensive i wonder? And in my opinion its true 5oper cent of the time. im not judging you either Mate.

What you are doing is judging the folk who had had litters after using a vasectomised hob... It's well known that sometimes a hob can impregnate a jill for a few months after he's had he snip.. There's a few on here who it's happened to who would have no reason to lie about it..

Do you work ferrets, or are you just another know it all ferret rescuer/messiah joined up to lead us all into the light?

well you have been lucky then in your 24yrs

I had two hobs snipped 2 yrs ago, one worked fine, the other grew back, or wasent done correctly by the vet,at least people say "the snip did'nt work" rather than slatting the vets who rip us off on prices :thumbdown:

Hi kay, what im trying to get at is when you get a vasectomy on your hob maybe this is just my vets i dont know but i have to sign a disclaimer before they will operate stating that i understand that the vas deferens or tubes may in the future reform resulting in the hob becoming fertile again. as for what i said aboutpeople using this as an excuse i personally know a few people that have been scared to admit that theyve bred thier ferrets so blame it on the vas hob

Edited by S.Cheshire Ferret Rescue

Hi kay, what im trying to get at is when you get a vasectomy on your hob maybe this is just my vets i dont know but i have to sign a disclaimer before they will operate stating that i understand that the vas deferens or tubes may in the future reform resulting in the hob becoming fertile again. as for what i said aboutpeople using this as an excuse i personally know a few people that have been scared to admit that theyve bred thier ferrets so blame it on the vas hob

Not sure why people should be scared to admit they bred there ferrets .. most of the regulars on here will always advise that anyone intending to breed does there homework but there's certainly nothing for people to be scared of

• Like 1

Not sure why people should be scared to admit they bred there ferrets .. most of the regulars on here will always advise that anyone intending to breed does there homework but there's certainly nothing for people to be scared of

..or maybe some people are scared of taking people at their word because it doesn't fit in with their ideology and views on a subject ...