1.77 or .22 pros an cons

I know, the Shrink and Pycologist both agree :whistling:

Could be worse though, I could be a total nutter with a multiple split personalities and imagine how many issues each of them could have :icon_eek:

I'd never get time to shoot :11:

Phantom

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use .20..... What does that say about me????

The .177 folk can crow all day, but us .22 folk know your all woofters, and thats it, end of

:11:

Try this if you want a loud crack with a snail.

Place snail upside down on silencer Raise silencer WELL ABOVE head level and squeeze trigger :whistling:

.177 makes a mess .22 sprays liquidized snail over most of the field :yes:

Phantom

:clapper::clapper: any advice on the best pellet to use Tony for maximum splat damage? :D..

the Gat was pretty useful as a pellet wasn't needed for close up shots within 3 Inches, once that plunger comes flying out of the end beleive me the Snail looks like he has been nuked ;)...

Jasper

Hi guys,

Getting back to the original post and the question I too believe that it honestly matters not which calibre you choice from .177 through .20 and .22 to .25 calibre as long as the shot is placed in a vital kill zone.

People from this section shoot different calibres and all get good humane kills from what ever calibre if they hit the KZ.

It depends on what calibre suits you the most and how much time you want to spend practicing at different ranges to master your calibres parabolic trajectory. I.E a .177 flys flatter as we all know, so hold over and under are not such a big deal as a .22 which can have a steep trajectory.

Hitting a KZ with a .177 at 40 metres would require hardly any hold over if any at all if zeroed at say 30 metres compared to what a .22 would require.

Making the same shot with a .22 is a different story altogether though and from a 30m zero on x10 mag you would be looking at around 1 and 3/4 md to 2 md hold over power of rifle depending.

Regarding the pros and cons I think these are some truths:

.177 Pros

Cheaper to buy pellets

Flatter parabolic trajectory, easier to hit distant targets at around your cross hair location.

Faster to reach the target so its less time for the quarry to move after the trigger is pulled. (we have all shot just as the quarry moves and we have either missed or wounded).

Range estimation isnt so vital at night when lamping when estimation is hard anyway. (it can be a bit more forgiving).

.177 Cons

At range the pellet is affected more by the wind

Can sometimes over penetrate, so all the kinetic energy isnt transferred to the KZ (range depending) which doesnt always give the pellet the full knock down effect. This sometimes gives the quarry time to move some distance before dying.

.22 Pros

Good kinetic knock down energy

Doesnt tend to over penetrate so much, but can at close range.

Doesnt get knocked off course so much with the wind as a .177 does.

An accurate and humane kill with a .22 at range is a lot more rewarding than doing it with a .177 I believe. This is because to do it you have to have got everything perfect down to the nearest 2 to 3 metres.

Saying this though any good long range shot is rewarding if done correctly with any calibre.

These shots must only be tried though if you know that you as a hunter / shooter are up to making them.

You can be a great shot and hit the head off a match at your zero range, but not estimate range for sh-t, so cant hit anything else away from your zero range. (I know people like this).

.22 Cons

Pellets are mostly dearer to buy

The parabolic trajectory is very curved and so practice needs to be done at all ranges from 5m to 55m to ensure the correct holdover / hold under is applied to longer and closer shots if you want to hit the KZ correctly.

Pellet takes longer to hit the target.

In summary I feel any calibre will do the job.

The shooter needs to know his / her own abilities.

Shot placement is more important than calibre.

Try all calibres and see what suits you best.

Be honest with yourself before you buy.

These are just my thoughts and other people will have their own views.

Kind regards

Si

Edited by zini

:clapper::clapper: any advice on the best pellet to use Tony for maximum splat damage? :D..

Jasper

Wadcutter flat heads and marksman flat heads, the marksmen where the cheapest and come in a throw away card board box, they also done the pointed ones for better penetration on them long shots on the giant black slugs, you will get a grouping of about 1ft at ten yrd,s but all you need is one to hit the target and you have maximum internal damage and green stuff everywhere, you will sometimes have to take a second shot into the breather hole from close range if they try to crawl of into the hedge this usually does not happen though, as kid's me and my brothers would take turns trying to shoot each other while running down the street,i used to aim for the leg,s and he was supposed to but it did not stop him from shooting me in the forehead one day... :laugh: .

Can you remember the mutli coloured alloy darts that used to come with the gat gun, my uncle knocked feck out of me one day when i filled his punch bag full of holes with them, :laugh: .

Another favourite type of gat gun in them days was the black diana it was better made than the original type but still had a crap shot pattern, the diana would go through 10 sheet,s of news paper but the gat could only manage 8, we used to shoot each other with blue tac and silver paper with it, if you felt the need you could get a extra bit of power out of it if you put a couple of metal washers in it but the spring did not last aslong , but you could combat that,all you had to do was take the spring out and stretch it a little bit and you would get around 50 full power shot,s..enough for now anyway im of to go shoot some woodies with my customised relm tornado.. :D .

Edited by Lady rosselle