saluki v deerhound

saluki v's deerhound, 1st question, both distance runners but how does everyone rate both x's on stamina on there own ground. could a saluki run on the ground a deerhound was bred for and match it for stamina or vice versa could the deerhound match the saluki on the ground it was bred for. 2nd question, if both were put in a straight line race over a mile for example could a full deerhound match the saluki on the flat or would it take a 1/2 cross deerhound/greyhound or 3/8ths/5/8ths or 1/4 deerhound/greyhound to match the lighter framed saluki. im only asking as this has bugged me for a while both are well known for there stamina but which x has it. i know the saluki boys will pick there own and same with the deerhound followers but where does everyone else stand on both.

cheers bucky

Personaly i couldnt see a saluki keeping up with a deerhound on the energy sapping heather clad hills of the Scottish highlands. I think a Deerhound would do fairly well on the desert land of the middle east but the climate wouldnt help with there coat.

As for a mile long race full saluki vs full deerhound it all depends on the two dogs but my money would be on the deerhound as they have serious strides and stamina(aswell as the saluki),They do have gears once they open up on the right land. :thumbs:

THE american lads will know the answer to these intresting questions, as they do big long rases like this , lure racing events and the like. im shure i saw one on telly once and the saluki was the fastest dog in the world over a mile. :thumbs:

also theres plenty of lads here that have used the pure saluki on the mores up there killing large numbers of mountin hare :thumbs:

im shure i saw one on telly once and the saluki was the fastest dog in the world over a mile. :thumbs:

Was that on animal planet tomo? lure racing against a greyhound as they wanted to see what was the the fastest dog?

BB What a well thought out and educated reply,great input... :laugh:

Although i own a full deerhound - i would have to go for the saluki, in both stamina/distance and speed,

deerhounds can be quite lazy buggers and unless its worth there while, they wont put everything in to it.

Asaluki can run on varied ground, run in heated conditions and out stay most dogs... It was proved that it is the fastest dog on the planet.

A deerhound is a very robusk dog and can handle a lot of situations, including harsh terrain and hilly regions...

I would go for the saluki myself but maybe somebody could get it on.....

I once owned a pure deerhound bitch, it had no more stamina than my working pure greyhound and to be honest I found it very disappointing. Never owned a pure saluki but had plenty of saluki crosses and they've pissed all over any deerhound crosses they've come up against. I've seen both pure breeds run and the deerhound looks second rate compared to the saluki. Mike.

• Like 1

Although i own a full deerhound - i would have to go for the saluki, in both stamina/distance and speed,

deerhounds can be quite lazy buggers and unless its worth there while, they wont put everything in to it.

what aload of crap perhaps you just ruined the dog. deerhounds have been used here for hundreds of years just because the chav bridage use brain dead bull x the deerhound has become quite redundant as a breed and all the history and tradiation seems to be flushed down the drain by addias wearing brain dead bull x owners makes me mad. i used to know a guy running 1st x deerhound/grey do 3-3 in small fields in ireland on hare and 30+ rabbits on lamp one of the best dogs he ever had.pity more people just on the bull x bandwagon for bigger game.

what aload of crap perhaps you just ruined the dog. deerhounds have been used here for hundreds of years just because the chav bridage use brain dead bull x the deerhound has become quite redundant as a breed and all the history and tradiation seems to be flushed down the drain by addias wearing brain dead bull x owners makes me mad. i used to know a guy running 1st x deerhound/grey do 3-3 in small fields in ireland on hare and 30+ rabbits on lamp one of the best dogs he ever had.pity more people just on the bull x bandwagon for bigger game.

ha ha think somebodys up set him :laugh:

seen 1st cross deerhound and saluki run on the Fen and for me there is know comparison on the subject of stamina the saluki would win, I do like a 1st cross deerhound and there stride certainly gets them to the prey quicker however to answer the questions above there can only be 1 winner - SALUKI stays longer than the mothering law.

Iv watched some deerhound x greys bred in northumberland run white hares and they could run , but the same land same hares the saluki x dogs wiped the floor with them , Deerhounds havent got the wind a saluki has fact !this is what iv seen , not been told !

Iv watched some deerhound x greys bred in northumberland run white hares and they could run , but the same land same hares the saluki x dogs wiped the floor with them , Deerhounds havent got the wind a saluki has fact !this is what iv seen , not been told !

:yes:;)