nearly lost maggie last nigt

out last night just before dark,trying to get the pup an easy rabbit,we usually walk down the drains near us but there was a car there so we went the other side,bad mistake,maggies about ten yards in front earspricked, a rabbit got up and run streight down the footpath,i remembered theres a train line at the end off the path,whistleing shouting could,nt stop her,lost sight,then realised i could hear a train coming,claire was screaming i was whistleing no sign,train went through claire had her head in her hands no sign for about 10 secs,then there she was flying back to us,she must of been otherside of the track,never again thought she was gone,il be very carefull round train tracks in the future, just thought id share it with you,atb jamie

out last night just before dark,trying to get the pup an easy rabbit,we usually walk down the drains near us but there was a car there so we went the other side,bad mistake,maggies about ten yards in front earspricked, a rabbit got up and run streight down the footpath,i remembered theres a train line at the end off the path,whistleing shouting could,nt stop her,lost sight,then realised i could hear a train coming,claire was screaming i was whistleing no sign,train went through claire had her head in her hands no sign for about 10 secs,then there she was flying back to us,she must of been otherside of the track,never again thought she was gone,il be very carefull round train tracks in the future, just thought id share it with you,atb jamie

good advice mate and glad it all turned out ok for you.

Had a similar thing happen last winter. I could only watch as Ossie and the 3 JRT chased a F*x across a winter wheat field towards a road. Coming down the road was a Landrover Discovery. Luckily it turned off at a junction before the dogs got to the road. Not nice.

Guest deerhound hunter

it must be the name as my terrier called maggie,i was just on the local fields just a little walk as she was in pup out she got on a scent thought it was a rabbit but out pop a fox ,tryed calling her back but no good ,the fox ran into the motorway enbankment maggie followed ,did,t here nothing went though the bushes i know what to expect the dog and the fox got hit maggie was dead on site ,i always keep away from that spot ,and it was very well learn lesson that i,ll not doing again

its a shock to the system when stuff like that happens, had a few hairy moments myself, horses are high risk around dogs as well, seen a livery owners jack russel stepped on + crushed to death by a 16.2 stallion. i never let my dogs near horses since, also have memorys of another jack russel who belonged to a neighbour which had a penchant for chasing trains..... one day it caught the train.... no prizes for guessing the outcome of that, ive been lucky, havent lost any dogs myself to accidents, had a few cats ran over + my favourite cat was killed by my lurcher. dont keep cats anymore lol

Guest deerhound hunter

f*****g hate horses ,had a nasty experience when i first started going out with the dogs about 13 years ago ,since then have always been weary of them

Edited by deerhound hunter