anybody got a dog

Have you tried using a metal lead? we had a dog that used to chew the collars off our other dogs, so we got chain collars and he stopped doing it, if he bites hard onto a metal chain im sure it will hurt especially if he is used to soft ones, just a thought atb with it though mate

iv tryed all that with my terrier and it doesnt work, he's too head strong! but with the others who are generaly well behaved if they start trying it on i pin them to assert dominance and thats all i have to do for them to get the picture. i just make eye contact with the lurchers for them to behave.

i give my boy plenty of exercise, he gets worse if he's tired lol like i said before i think he's just a nob lol love him to bits tho.

Ive done that pin down thing before works quite well i find, if you hold the neck with a firm grip, and wait for them to exhail a big breath then you know he has calmed right down, then i release

i seem to find the older the dog is the longer it takes to stop bad behaviour and create the behaviour you want, and if you terrier is 9 (think i read that lol) then it would take a long time, my 8 year old went through a training crash course last year as did the dalmation, the dalmation (only 2 at the time) picked it up fairly quick, the other not as quick but after a few months was perfect and he was always a good dog anyway. So atb with the stubborn terrier mate

Edited by Jordb543

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A typical ignorant reply from someone who has obviously never had a bull terrier,and I expect would never dream of owning one due to their ''UNSTABLE''nature. bull terriers can be agressive towards o

Had a few dogs in the past that might have been considered bad tempered, but if they,re able to let out some of the tension built up in them regular i found they settle, dogs with high drive need to b

dog needs getting rid of permanently IMO, dog aggression in a hunting dog can be curtailed somewhat by an EXPERIENCED person (always worked single, on a chain, excercied alone etc), but no one should

Posted Images

Sounds like this pup will need keeping on top of. it has nothing to do with breeding but dominance. i have 4 dogs all live together easily because they have their place and the four humans in our house are the pack leaders. they do squabble but nothing remotely serious and i always put them flat on the floor so they submit to me. the little kelpie x is 15 months now and the worst offender but thats her age and she is hyper anyway. she will come around im definate about that. remember pack order in dogs can change easily and quickly so keep on top of your problem child

Ashover my post was not aimed at you but at the original poster with the bull cross that bit her ... I didn't really read much about your terrier other than it was 9 years old.

A minor thing now is just the first step towards a major problem. My husband has 2 partial bull blooded dogs, I have 2 half bull crosses and collectively have had quite a few full and crosses on my yard over the years, so we are not part of the anti bull brigade by any stretch of the imagination. We keep about a dozen dogs between the two of us at any one time, and we are always on the lookout for cuntish behavior in ANY of our dogs. A glimmer of man aggression from ANY dog here other than the guard dog and there is only the .02 cent solution for it. Rehoming is NEVER an option, no matter what.

Things that happen between dogs or while hunting can be different, but a blatant bite as you described is not just a one-off IMO. What if it had been one of your kids that was in the way? You obviously don't agree, but I've "been there, done that."

I always watch the news after a well publicized dog bite has occurred, and normally the family says "I never thought my Fluffy could have done such a thing!" and similar inane drivel. As someone else said I sure hope it doesn't happen to you but you have been warned. I can just imagine what that dog will be like when it is 16-18 months old. Good luck, and I mean that sincerely.

iv got a nasty terrier, he's a bully with people and if he thinks your scared it makes him worse, he's 9 years old and iv never found the cure for him and belive me iv tryed everything. Although he's never acctually biten anybody but thats only because i know what he's like and im on top of him all the time. iv come to the conclusion he's just a nob but he's good at his job, needless to say this dog wont be getting rehomed when he retires. post-52820-037187800 1281275122_thumb.jpg

post-52820-070645100 1281274713_thumb.jpg looks can be decieving!

This made me laugh out loud....our old Terrier was exactly the same. He's been dead almost two years and we still miss him.

Have you tried using a metal lead? we had a dog that used to chew the collars off our other dogs, so we got chain collars and he stopped doing it, if he bites hard onto a metal chain im sure it will hurt especially if he is used to soft ones, just a thought atb with it though mate

iv tryed all that with my terrier and it doesnt work, he's too head strong! but with the others who are generaly well behaved if they start trying it on i pin them to assert dominance and thats all i have to do for them to get the picture. i just make eye contact with the lurchers for them to behave.

i give my boy plenty of exercise, he gets worse if he's tired lol like i said before i think he's just a nob lol love him to bits tho.

Ive done that pin down thing before works quite well i find, if you hold the neck with a firm grip, and wait for them to exhail a big breath then you know he has calmed right down, then i release

i seem to find the older the dog is the longer it takes to stop bad behaviour and create the behaviour you want, and if you terrier is 9 (think i read that lol) then it would take a long time, my 8 year old went through a training crash course last year as did the dalmation, the dalmation (only 2 at the time) picked it up fairly quick, the other not as quick but after a few months was perfect and he was always a good dog anyway. So atb with the stubborn terrier mate

yeah you can really see them start to relax. i tryed the pin with the stubborn git and we were there for over 45 mins :wallbash: . all the time he was giving it the 'big un' but i didnt give up, it worked for about 20 mins lol.

he might not have bull in him but without the correct handling could be just as dangerous and the same can be said about alot of breeds. atb mrs A.R.D

Ashover my post was not aimed at you but at the original poster with the bull cross that bit her ... I didn't really read much about your terrier other than it was 9 years old.

A minor thing now is just the first step towards a major problem. My husband has 2 partial bull blooded dogs, I have 2 half bull crosses and collectively have had quite a few full and crosses on my yard over the years, so we are not part of the anti bull brigade by any stretch of the imagination. We keep about a dozen dogs between the two of us at any one time, and we are always on the lookout for cuntish behavior in ANY of our dogs. A glimmer of man aggression from ANY dog here other than the guard dog and there is only the .02 cent solution for it. Rehoming is NEVER an option, no matter what.

Things that happen between dogs or while hunting can be different, but a blatant bite as you described is not just a one-off IMO. What if it had been one of your kids that was in the way? You obviously don't agree, but I've "been there, done that."

I always watch the news after a well publicized dog bite has occurred, and normally the family says "I never thought my Fluffy could have done such a thing!" and similar inane drivel. As someone else said I sure hope it doesn't happen to you but you have been warned. I can just imagine what that dog will be like when it is 16-18 months old. Good luck, and I mean that sincerely.

Tiff, I think your wasting you breath pal... :yes:

It's obviously causing concern or this post wouldn't be here. :no: God knows how many years of experience you'd have if you added together all the folk who've given advice on this thread, but some people still think they know best..

Edited by maltenby

dog needs getting rid of permanently IMO, dog aggression in a hunting dog can be curtailed somewhat by an EXPERIENCED person (always worked single, on a chain, excercied alone etc), but no one should try and "handle" a man aggressive hunting dog, and that is what your dog is becoming. You may not THINK that it is a problem, but you are deluding yourself ... it is a BIG problem and will only get worse. A LOT worse.

dog aint a problem if you read my earlyer post his fine most of the time plays with kids our own other animals you've just made him out to be a basket case wont ever be an option to get rid of him he lives with 7 other dogs that are all perfectly well behaved with people and other dogs. im grateful for those who have put other bits of advise up and as was mentioned on here earlyer he does tend to be worse if he has built up energy which hes now run twice a day which has stopped some of his fustration my topic was simply put on to see if anybody had dogs with bad tempers and those who replied with similar cases made intresting reading as ive said hes coming on well does as hes told off the lead as well as on. An as for man aggresive do you think id have a 4 and 9 year old playing around him if i thought in anyway he was dangerous i dont think so, dog to over friendly if anything follows everywhere i go, these moments only seem to happen through fustration which im now working and havent had one for the last week. never will it be an option to get rid. even if he was dangerous i wouldnt shove him off on to someone else to make him someone elses problem!!!

Sorry bud.You do have a problem and the longer you ignore it the worse it will get.Had a mate like you some years back.When it came to his dogs he wore blinkers.Would never address the problem allways saying the dog will grow out off.Sad fact is they never did.

Why you would ever let a dog that bites near children boggles the mind.blink.gif