Do your ratting dogs get on with cats?

Hi all,

i recently got a 7month old lakeland/plummer cross, and my step dad knows people who take their terriers ratting/rabbiting etc, and i was wondering, at what age i should take my pup if i do decide to try it out?

also he doesnt get on well with the cats at the minute, and as i am currently living at home and the cats are my mums if anything ever hapened to one of them i think me and the dog would be out :thumbdown: , im more then confident i can make him stop attacking the cats, however if i do take him ratting i dont want my hard work to go to waste so to speak lol

Edited by Jordb543

My Patts 5 month old and he's killing rats and I think he would kill next doors cat given half a chance :whistling:

but he has been hunting rats since he was 4 months old, I would say get him out there

My Borders regularly work Rats and I have 6 Cats. They are absolutley fine with MY Cats, but anyone elses are fair game. Just be patient and firm, the Cats should be fine, and I personally see no reason why the dog shouldnt distinguish whats "his" and not.

bw22p.jpg

sq4640x480.jpg

dsc_0049-640x480.jpg

discoverdogsA4_6.jpg

DSC_4863P.jpg

Same dog.

Edited by Dawn B

Thanks for the replies everyone :victory:

he had a run in with our largest cat today, the cat is a stone in weight and huge!! lets just say the dg felt a bit :icon_redface: , and was thrown around abit lol,

so he gives him a wide birth now also we have a very small cat around the size of a 5months old kitten, she is the main concern tbh, but our others got used to them so theres no reason why the new guy wont i suppose,

is 7months old a good time to start ratting then, my plan was to make sure is recall, sit and wait where all 100% before i took him, as he hasnt really been trained at all, only new a few commands in welsh which i dont speak lol

Edited by Jordb543

my terroists just love cats they will go mental if they see one and if they get to one its dead !! had the cops around a few times about the dogs killing cats up the field but they have got the message now , cats are classed as property under english law and have no rights if there out and about trespasing on other peoples ground

Get him out and try him, you might just have to crack down on the cat breaking a bit more.

My russel was killing rats before 5 months and he really really loves cats :whistling:

dont get me wrong he loves cats, but in the same way he loves atacking and killing his toys lol

i think i will make sure he is good with the cats before i take him out

I personally think some people think that their dogs , if they are working dogs , should hate cats and want to kill any thing that moves. To me this would be a nuisance , I think most dogs would chase a cat as they would anything else of the same size as a matter of fact , however wether or not they would kill them is another matter as a cat can be a fair opponent. Best thing to do is train ya dog not too as too many people again thnink terriers are a law unto themselves and cant be trained. Terriers are dogs just like collies etc and if they are trained properly there shouldnt be a probvlem. Now I am gonna get some replies saying" hey , my dog goes totally deaf when he is working and takes no notice of me" well I dont subscribe to that , theese dogs in my opinion are in charge of their owners.