Barbel in Flood Water.

turned up at the River today and saw that the water was chocolate and up about 18 inches from last week. This time i fished with "Garlic Spam" which i took the liberty of buying 30+ tins of the stuff a couple of years ago when it was released on the shelves. It is no longer available, but i have always rated it as a barbel bait par exelcance in coloured water.

A big 'ol chunk hair rigged on a size 4 hook was cast about 20 foot out from the bank and after an hour a fantastic bite nearly ripped the rod in. Luckily for close range fishing with the hair/bolt i always use a baitrunner as i have no desire to loose the rod. After a fantastic fight i netted a 7LB 6 OZ beauty. :victory:

post-16-093553400 1279409647_thumb.jpg

post-16-021386300 1279409661_thumb.jpg

post-16-061670900 1279409675_thumb.jpg

i know where that peg is :D your getting some nice fish out, only fished the river once so far this season and blanked, a pal has been doing well on the nidd and has had them out every time he been, so he says, think im going to have to get myself on there and have ago, you cant beat the fight they give you, atb

That river looks a picture,reminds me of parts of the Idle we fish over here.

Ive used the garlic meat myself and had some good results on it,especially in coloured water,i make my own,i cut round sections out with an apple corer and then lightly fry in garlic flavour,or soak for a few days in garlic flavoured olive oil with added fresh crushed garlic,both work a treat,but lightly frying "skins" the meat and makes it a bit tougher for casting.

Another winner ive had even more sucess on is bisto gravy granules [red label]cut your baits to size required,put in a plastic bag and add a few spoons of granules,blow air in the bag and shake up until the meat is well coated and then pop in the freezer,when you defrost the meat draws the flavour in,messy but well worth a go if you havent tried it.

Just wait for the casting daddy to arrive and show you whats what young man! :laugh:

Cracking fish mate, but I must say I dont rate those hooks with a beak point, never have!

I reckon you will prick more fish with a streight point but you have to keep checking them :yes:

Have to get a weekend sorted down here soon.