canada;- best location to live + hunt + fish (inland)

my husband and I due to the new anti hunting + anti breeding laws (as well as a few of the old ones)in this country have made us start thinking of going to greener and wilder pastures, we expect that along with further education that it will be 3yrs before we go, we want to find a place that is just beyond the edge of civilisation, surrounded by hundreds of acres of forests and lakes and with an abundance of hunting of all kinds of game, wilder the better, preferably within 5/6hrs drive of the united states, basically i would like to know what kinds of game that are legal to hunt, what the seasons are + what im not allowed to hunt, also firearm legislation and any other laws that relate to hunting and animal ownership. thanks for taking time to read this waffle but the opinion that matters to me the most is that of the man on the ground- not the media propaganda that we are so often forcefed

atb gem

I don't know much about it but I believe that Canada has very strict firearms laws, not much different from the UK. Border Crossings with firearms is a nightmare etc.

dont think i should have too much bother with the firearm side of it, i aint gonna shoot anyone + ive a clean record, all i would want a gun for is hunting, what im interested in is location + game + fishing and hunting season!

there are quite a few Canadians on here who should be clued up, they'll be able to answer most if not all of your questions. One thing I do know is that a 6 hour drive to the US border is nothing in terms of Canadian travel, I believe you will have to be looking at more like 10+ hours to get to the true rural interior. We know a woman who lives in "Penny" (I think) and they only have train service 1 day a week, extremely rural and it isn't really that far in.

You might get some good info from various hunting outfitters if you get in touch with them

http://www.canadawildoutfitters.com/

http://www.ihuntcanada.com/

Also, I would suggest you take a long look at Alberta as a place to settle. The province is in good financial health at the moment, good schools and health care etc. If I went back home I'd want to go there. BC is gorgeous, high cost of living tho. Ontario is where I'm originally from and Northern Ontario is most excellent. Have a nosey on Google about Perry Sound, that's a nice place to be. It's not hard at all to find a place that's seculded but not too far from civilisation.

Let us know what you find out :thumbs:

i could drive from the top of northern ireland to the very furthest south in less than 10hrs i reckon, guess i have to revise those ideas i have had ingraned in me since i was a kid;- i dont plan to live on this small island for too much longer!

I met a guy from Ireland once when I was still back home - he was astonished at the size of the place :laugh:

I seem to meet a lot of people over here who say they'd love to live in Canada but they've never actually been there. Have you been? Do you think you could cope with -35 degrees plus a murderous wind chill and snow that will bury your house in winter time? A quick walk to town could leave you with icicles hanging from your eyebrows, frost bite etc ... You really can't imagine it till you've been there, it's not for the faint hearted!

still in the planning + research stage but i expect i will be renting, if it all goes well i will return home for a few months and make arrangements for a longer visa for both of us + ship over our best terriers + rehome the rest. its pretty much going to be a permanent relocation! ive always got the backup of my house over here that will be rented out (hopefully)

my brother is getting married soon and is moving over to ontario as soon as he sell,s his house ,he,s been over for about 4 long holidays now and absolutly loves the place now ,cant wait for him to go as i,m seriously thinking of following him over once he gets settled ,he,s not into shooting fishing or hunting in any fashion but i am .he,s told me of the lakes and rivers and all the hunting with dogs to be had by day (i believe that lamping is a big no no ) but there,s plenty to go at day time with the dogs.

your best person to ask is coyotehunter of this site as he,s a huntsman who hunts there :thumbs:

Edited by dog fox