can a ferret be too big to work

Guest the yorkshire lad

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my old hob was big, not as big as his dad tho, that was the biggest ferret i had ever seen. Mine was nto long, but solid as hell, he used to grab the rabbits at the base of the ear and hang on, any sensible rabbit would bolt if they got out of his grip, used to get rabbits out that i knew he had been on.

personally i prefer jills, but each to their own, i'm getting another hob this year from new blood.

Guest Jane Russell
206919921.jpg

These two were born on May 1st & have gone huge since the weather went colder they get nothing other than there daily food , no crappy treats :)

Beautiful ... do you worry about them getting nicked for their fur?

Jane

hi ferretlove they are a pair of big buggers what do you feed them on cracking condition on them :yes:

W.D

They are fed complete ferret food & either minced beef (not pet mince) or minced tripe & chicken as a change , the dry is just in the cage 24/7 they seem to have gone off chicken wings so i stopped putting them in for them kept finding them in there beds untouched.

They are very active & have a run attached to there cage but do come indoors for about an hour in the evenings for a play in the kitchen & they never stop once i get there tube & cardboard box to play in , i have had to block every tiny gap off as the buggers get under the cooker & i had a game getting them out :)

207091564.jpg

This was taken about 4 weeks ago & as you can see they are bigger than that now but it does seem to coinscide with the weather changing and being colder now , so i think a lot of there bulk is coat :11:

Guest Hedgehunter

I always used to work jills but now all I keep are hobs, more stamina and being larger easier to see in thick hedges or if I'm working alone.Also large ferrets can take a kicking from a rabbit better than small ones. I think as they get older they get better,as Millet posted keeping quiet is essential for plenty of bolters and if you can get by without taking a dog try it,we usually take ours as he's part of the team,but if we know where the bunnies are is there any need for the dog?

Guest the yorkshire lad

Well everyone thanks alot for the advise, taking them out for the first time on Sunday. Cant bloody wait :yahoo: theres a MASSIVE warren were planning on doing so theres six ferrets going two of them mine, i know you could say there starting in the deep end but i wont work them too long if they start to look tired. Also should they be fed before we go out or not? :hmm:

Cheers folk :good:

The Yorkshire Lad

lurchercg8.jpg

Your better feeding your ferrets before you use then especailly in a big warren as it might stop them lieing up . If youv'e not used your much and there young ferrets dont expect to much from them they might not go deep enough to move the rabbits .