a pine or stone marten

the last one we had was brown with a creamy/redsh breast and this one was jet black with a white breast,

just wondering is there a difference because iv caught black, brown and grey mink is it the same senaro with the marten??????

Edited by patdahat

Never seen a wild one Pat, and don't know enough about them to comment on colours but I will say that it looks like a beautiful animal

You're lucky to have them over there, I have a friend in Eire that catches a few in his mink traps, I will ask him

OTC

that would be great otc,

pretty much sure this was a bitch aswell, and the last one was a dog,

I have asked and the reply was much as JD has said above, only pine martens, but they do vary slightly in colour from reddish to almost black

OTC

Edited by OldTrapCollector

They change color at different times of the yr, summer, winter, breeding, etc...Once found one lay by the while in Glen coe, like a fool, i didnt keep it! As we were up there for another week and reckoned it would have gone off, why didnt i knock on an old dears door and have it frozen!

It looks a little pissed off, do the Pine Martens have the same protection in Ireland as they do in the UK? Most of the Pine Martens that I have seen in Scotland have been brown, but a few were a much darker colour. The best one I have seen was one my sister filmed, it came in through the window where we were staying to try and steal food before thinking better of the idea and walking along the sill outside the window. The problem came when it tried to turn round at the end of the window. The same happened to our cat a few years ago, it went out of an upstairs window, got to the end of the sill, turned, plummeted to the ground and then sat looking up with the WTF expression on its face. I was sat downstairs watching tv at the time and heard this scrabbling sound from above and a second or so later saw a dark shape drop past the window.

It looks a little pissed off, do the Pine Martens have the same protection in Ireland as they do in the UK? Most of the Pine Martens that I have seen in Scotland have been brown, but a few were a much darker colour. The best one I have seen was one my sister filmed, it came in through the window where we were staying to try and steal food before thinking better of the idea and walking along the sill outside the window. The problem came when it tried to turn round at the end of the window. The same happened to our cat a few years ago, it went out of an upstairs window, got to the end of the sill, turned, plummeted to the ground and then sat looking up with the WTF expression on its face. I was sat downstairs watching tv at the time and heard this scrabbling sound from above and a second or so later saw a dark shape drop past the window.

well their protected here anyway as far as i know so we let it off again