Few trapping pics from the State Maine

Haven't visited this site since last summer, Thought I'd post a few pics that may be of interest. Hope all your snares and traps have been full

Bobcat I had to release. The cat season didn’t start for a couple more days.

IMG_0771.jpg

40 pound male coyote that wasn’t happy at all. Barked, howled and snarled.

IMG_0752.jpg

A 35 pound female that put on a show.

IMG_0757.jpg

3 legged coyote.

IMG_0767.jpg

Had about 6inches of wet snow, luckily it stayed soft till it melted two days later, Then this road was a muddy mess.

IMG_0761.jpg

My son Steve holding the trap and 4lb drag. The coyote was caught at the top of the road in the picture and was standing here when we drove up. You can see the drag trail in the road.

IMG_0746.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good bit of trapping there mate.. :blink: ..my hat come's of to you for maximum amount of suffering for the prey animal.. :cry: ..

Why dont you set proper fecking trap's so they will hold the animal fast instead of chasing the poor fucke.r all around the county with a leg breaking trap strapped to it's limb..

On the 3 legged one that was lucky enough to chew it's leg of to live a bit longer..

By the way people im in no mean's an anti and i promote all hunting but this take's the piss behond belief for me.. :cry: ...

Millet

:censored::censored: sorry but i dont agree with that type of trapping there is no way

the poor c**ts will be out of their misery until you decide to check your trap!they run up the road with that stuck to their f****n leg. big f****n no no! :censored: i believe in pest control etc but despatch quarry quickly and with little suffering. surely theres better ways to cathc them than that. its obviously legal were you are at

but do not have any respect for what you are hunting i hope that cayote gets out and rips your f****n throat out you twat. everyone canhunt or trap the way they choose but thats a f****n disgrace and that goes to any f****r on here that would treat an animal in that way

please note

this is just my opinion

So why is a drag more cruel than a fixed anchor?

To me, the unpleasant thing of this whole trapping business is that a free-roaming animal finds itself trapped in one spot. And whether a snare or a leg-hold is used there will inevitably be some discomfort to say the least.

I'm not at all anti-hunting (unless it is done by thoughtless dorks who just like killing for the fun of it). I do prefer, whenever possible, to use the most humane means to catch and kill an animal. Sometimes steel traps attached to a drag might be the best means available to catch something. I'd certainly be open to the idea of using them to catch coyotes that were threatening my livestock, or the game animals that I like to harvest.

Sometimes I think that seeing pictures of trapped animals can be a bit upsetting. I know that sometimes I don't like what I see with my own eyes when I go to check my traps. But that's how it is unfortunately. I can't think of a way around it. I honestly do have a lot of empathy for vegetarians and anti-hunters...maybe I will give up eating meat one day. Meanwhile I continue to hunt.

The other day I found a feral cat in one of my snares. It was caught around the waist and it had tangled the snare and shortened the cord so that it's back legs were off the ground. I wish that I'd found it simply tethered by the neck like I find other animals in my snares. Anyway, I killed it. Nearby I found the remains of a bird that had been spread all over the ground.... I wouldn't be surprised if this bird was a victim of that cat or one of it's cousins. I doubt that the cat had any second thoughts about its method of killing the bird. And having got rid of the cat, I may have contributed in some way to the well-being of the local quail and rabbit population.

I enjoy reading the contributions on this site. I also am interested to see different points of view. Thanks.... and keep them coming.

Best wishes to all....Coote.

Chay, Who do you think you are coming on here and wishing an animal will get out of that trap and mame someone. You need to get your facts right and do some research before you come on here all un educated and have a go.

A drag is a device used to cause less harm to a powerful animal. Instead of ripping and pulling and damaging his limb when he is permenantly staked. They are only used by the best of trappers who know what they are doing. Being able to read signs and track down the animal.

Traps are checked early in the morning and animals are left in the traps for the most minimum of time. You are doing this trapping busyness no justice by coming on here and letting your mouth rip with this garbage. You cant seem to understand how angry fools like you make me.

I trap down here in Australia with similar devices however they are padded jaw traps. Foxes have devistated our native wildlife and in some areas foothold traps are the only possible answer to this problem. Unless you prefer Areal Baiting, where baits are dropped from planes in any area by who ever. I think this is just nonsense.

There are pros' and cons' to every method of control but its fools like you who begin to shame them.

I suggest you either appoligise or go and sit in the dark corner you came from you twat.

P.S Well done with your trapping mate, Please continue to come on here and post these pictures, you are doing nothing wrong and i enjoy to see your catches.

it just goes to show how ignorant the general public are about trapping, i have an american video that shows foothold traps in use, the trappers are releasing trapped animals that are non the worse for thier experience , hundreds of otters have bin relocated in america by using footholds into areas that didnt have any at all the released otters are breeding well, now the us government wouldn,t allow animals to be trapped this way if they could not be released unharmed .

millet , i don,t agree with shooting phesants out of season , yet you put a picture up a while ago of some partridge and a phesant shot out of season , very clever , it paints a very bad picture to anyone reading this forum that there are still shooting lads about that ignore the seasons ,especially with all the bad press air rifle have had recently,... kettle , pot , grimey arse !!

Nice pics mate,just one question how do you release a bobcat without having your eyes scratched out :icon_eek:,just wondering

Hey Bigeddie, The best way to release a Bobcat Is a piece of plywood with a notch cut In It for the Trap & Foot to fit In and use the plywood as a shield, and your all set. Take Care !

it just goes to show how ignorant the general public are about trapping, i have an american video that shows foothold traps in use, the trappers are releasing trapped animals that are non the worse for thier experience , hundreds of otters have bin relocated in america by using footholds into areas that didnt have any at all the released otters are breeding well, now the us government wouldn,t allow animals to be trapped this way if they could not be released unharmed .

millet , i don,t agree with shooting phesants out of season , yet you put a picture up a while ago of some partridge and a phesant shot out of season , very clever , it paints a very bad picture to anyone reading this forum that there are still shooting lads about that ignore the seasons ,especially with all the bad press air rifle have had recently,... kettle , pot , grimey arse !!

WELL MOLEY ,

I READ MILLETS POST LATE LAST NIGHT AFTER A TOUGH NIGHTS LAMPING , AND TO BE HONEST COULDNT BE BOTHERED TO REPLY , CAME ON TODAY TO PUT A DIFFERENT VIEW FORWARD .......... AND YOU BEAT ME TO IT :rolleyes:

FOR MY TUPPENCE WORTH YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD MATE ! :yes:

WHO THE HELL ARE WE IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY , TO TELL THEM HOW TO TRAP ???

ITS THE SAME S.H.I.T THAT THINKS THEY CAN DICTATE TO THE SPANIARDS ABOUT BULL FIGHTING , HELL.... I KNOW HOW I FELT WHEN I HEARD AN ASIAN LABOUR MP GET ON HIS HIGH HORSE ABOUT FOXHUNTING !!!, PEOPLE LIKE THIS REALLY DO BOIL MY PISS :angry:

ALL THE BEST ....... TO.... TRUE COUNTRYMEN ...... EVERYWHERE

DUCKWING ;)

You got it Right DuckWing, But People who right reply's like Millet did are Borderline Anti's and just dont no it ! Trying to Infringe on other People's way Of Life, I dont argue with em cause People like that "Know It All, And Are Very Shallow Minded" !

Just to add my two peneth worth, i read millets reply and at first thought he had fair points,

then i agreed that who are we to judge, at the end of the day it is their way of hunting / control and it works for them.

To be honest i wouldnt personaly like to use that drag because i would like to know that the trapped animal was where the trap was set.

It is stated that the experienced tracker would track the animal on the drag, but what if it was trapped earley, left overnight, after a heavey snowfall since being trapped, maybee headed into the trees for cover, got snagged up, possibly not found ? :cry:

Im not judging but i can see situations where unnecessary suffering of the drag trapped animal could occur.

Cheers bob