Rabbit and deer chasing

My 10 month old Border Terrier has just discovered the fun of chasing rabbits and deer. I know she was bred to hunt but I need to stop this as I live in sheep country. She is a pet dog, has a wonderful disposition, and normally extremely biddable - has been walked off-lead for 6 months. She is only safe now on a long rope as she vanishes at great speed if she sees or smells rabbit or deer. She does eventually come back - at least so far she has!

Life would be better for her if I could suppress her instincts and take her everywhere with me - preferably off lead. When instinct kicks in she fails to hear spaniel whistle and ignores voice.

Help please.

this makes me chuckle, there are people on here whos dont wont work and ask advice on how to get them going....then you get someone whos dog wants to go after rabbits and such and the owner wants to put a stop to it, sell it to someone who will use it and buy your self a yorkie or a chihuahua

My 10 month old Border Terrier has just discovered the fun of chasing rabbits and deer. I know she was bred to hunt but I need to stop this as I live in sheep country. She is a pet dog, has a wonderful disposition, and normally extremely biddable - has been walked off-lead for 6 months. She is only safe now on a long rope as she vanishes at great speed if she sees or smells rabbit or deer. She does eventually come back - at least so far she has!

Life would be better for her if I could suppress her instincts and take her everywhere with me - preferably off lead. When instinct kicks in she fails to hear spaniel whistle and ignores voice.

Help please.

life would be better for her, better for you you mean.why dont you use her for bushin?have some fun with her you mite even injoy it

So hunting dogs are sheep killers are they????!!!! how about a bit of stock breaking like any responsible dog owner whos dog will be around livestock, working or otherwise.

Really boils my piss people getting dogs because they like the look of the breed and put f**k all thought into what the dog really is. You try and repress the hunting instinct and you will get a b*****d of a dog with behavioural problems. Every living thing needs outlets for their various different instincts, and feck me the hunting instinct in a terrier is second to non. There is a world of difference between a worked terrier and a psycotic pet terrier, the workers are so much more content, dont go mental at other dogs and people and only use their mouth when they should do.

In short, accept what you have or do the decent thing and rehome the poor fecker!

So hunting dogs are sheep killers are they????!!!! how about a bit of stock breaking like any responsible dog owner whos dog will be around livestock, working or otherwise.

Really boils my piss people getting dogs because they like the look of the breed and put f**k all thought into what the dog really is. You try and repress the hunting instinct and you will get a b*****d of a dog with behavioural problems. Every living thing needs outlets for their various different instincts, and feck me the hunting instinct in a terrier is second to non. There is a world of difference between a worked terrier and a psycotic pet terrier, the workers are so much more content, dont go mental at other dogs and people and only use their mouth when they should do.

In short, accept what you have or do the decent thing and rehome the poor fecker!

well said :clapper:

as said before fella.... take her out and about with you, show him farm stock be it sheep, cows, whatever... you carnt over expose her!!! keep doing it till shes just not bothered.... then you can think about removing her lead mate...

take her out as much as you can, give her as many opportunties to learn, see how she develops... see how much you learn, you'll come to appreciate her in a different light..

i have a border bitch here same age as yours but have done all the above since she had her jabs!!!

from about 8 months she found out what her nose was for, be it rats,rabbits, sqirrels anything really...

im no expert mate, just kean to work my bitch, only time will tell when shes old enough if she/we will get our 1st chance on foxy, the rest is down to her....

hunting instict god put there, enjoy it, there are those that wish theres had it!!

atb.. rich