Does it matter what age the critters are?

I thought the thread was about the ethic's shooting young or parents of dependant young ?

How did it get to someone who live's in fairy land and can't make a chicken run Fox proof whistling.gif

Well whats your view then.....if you are goning to read the topic at least give an opinion !thumbs.gif

Two months ago, I would definately agree with tracking the earth and humanely despatching the cubs as they would be relying on the Vixen's milk.

This year's cubs are now very active, eating solids and causing a riot in alot of schools / private houses / businesses killing pet rabbits, chicken's, etc.

Foxes are vermin and a health & safety hazard regardless of their age and location.

They are not routinely de-wormed, flead, vaccinated or constantly treated against mange.

They cannot read signs such as "NO FOULING" or "KEEP OUT PRIVATE PROPERTY".

i leave the fox's from mainly mid march through to end september, As i hit them hard normally after that....

however if a few are causing trouble, As i have heard today, i'll always try and take the young first, if given a choice of target....

I'm sensing this is gonna be a busy season as i wasn't able to hit them hard due to illness....... And when i was able they where all lamp shy to the extent where i couldn't even get a second to pop a round off....icon_eek.gif

We all have our own code of ethic's, i choose NOT to shoot young if at all possible, to keep "the circle of life" so to speak.

Snap.

I took my first fox last night. During a lamping session I came across a den and had four pairs of eyes glowing brightly back at me (mainly using a red lamp with a white one on standby). Once I was certain of my safe overshoot and that I was indeed looking at foxes, I took the cleanest shot and down it went.

After going to check it was a clean kill I found what was a young female fox. It had very soft fur and I think it is one of this year's litter (so ~10 weeks old?), however if it was it must have been well fed as it was not that small.

So this leads me to ask, if a species is a pest, does it matter what age they are when you kill them or is is it simply one less pest is best?

Also in this situation, as I had several foxes looking at my red lamp, if I had been able to identify the vixen or dog fox would it have been better to take either of them (and therefore leave the cubs to struggle with food) or is it better to take the cubs first?

I have started this topic talking specifically about foxes because of my experience last night which started me thinking and I would like some other opinions, however the topic is a general one as last night I also took several rabbits, many of which were also very young, but this didn't even cross my mind as something to worry about. It may be that this difference is due to the fact that the rabbits are an infestation and hundreds will need to be destroyed so you can't be picky when you are trying to bring high numbers down or the fact that foxes are quite similar to dogs (and I am a dog lover).

All opinions welcome.....

NO!!

Thanks for all your answers, as it was the first fox I have ever shot I wanted to see what the general opinion was. The fact is that if I am trying to reduce the numbers of a pest species, as long as I treat the animal with respect and do everything I can to prevent suffering if an opportunity to despatch one of them presents itself I will take it.

A very interesting point of view was the one regarding land neighbouring fox lovers who feed them and encourage them so if you wanted to clear a den, and it was on their land, the only thing you can do is to take the ones that come onto the land you have permission to shoot on.

• Like 1