deer

Ive ran Red and Fallow for over 15 year.Ive taken Stags and Hinds from both species,somtimes with dogs that I have owned and other times with other lads dogs.I have over the years seen a few dogs come away from there encounters lame and others have been killed.I have seen some very good dogs in action and also seen some wonderful beast.These Deer I used to run :rolleyes: were all wild deer not out of parks etc.I have seen single dogs pull Red Hinds and Fallow Stags over regular,I havent yet seen a single dog get a Red Stag over and keep it there never mind kill it.I have seen Plenty of Stags go over and a couple of dogs keep it down.I once saw 3 big lurchers right up a Stags arse and it ploughed straight threw a dry stone wall,1 of the dogs hit the wall and was senseless for a few hours and the other 2 dogs kept the beast down when it eventually dropped not far from the wall.I have seen Stags run into the side of vehicles gates etc and still get away.There was a big first cross Saluki/Greyhound up the top of Scotland that took Stags single handed week in week out and that always just used to hold them.You have to be on it as soon as the dog takes hold.Why risk losing a good dog to see if it can kill them?Another thing when running these beasts is that a lot of them when under pressure will head to water such as a river or loch etc and then turn and face the dogs.When this happens at least the beast has stopped,but now it will be thrashing all over the place and a lot more dangerous than if it was pulled to a stop.I have seen these beast taken with all crosses of lurchers over the years,and I will say that when out on the hill running them Deerhounds and Deerhound crosses always seem to cover the ground better than other dogs.At the end of the day you run the type of dog that gets the job done and you owe it to the dogs to get there as soon as possible and dispatch the beast as quickly as possible.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deerhounds, are called deerhounds for a reason.I,ve never taken a deer with a dog, but it stands to reason that a pipsqueak isnt going to knock over a large deer, as the old saying goes..."use enough gun". also, this is a very interesting chat, please, lets keep it civil, and accord some respect to the gents with great experience please.

best single handed dog was deerhound cross and most of your american staghound are deerhoundyand thye can killlarge quarry, the only dogs ive saw to ,be in the same clas were alitter of first cross saluk crosses which my close freind bred all the males were 27 to 29 two were very strong and would pull most things one got put down because of it , they lifted roe up on the run and were real killers the only saluk crosses i know that killed strong toothed qaurry , we bred them for roe ,but he done quite well with coursing hares with one of them they were strong one made eighty pounds plus , i had one who made seventy ,but was no were as aggresive as they two he had ,some dogs ,mines is dead one got put down and hes got one left but hees been gelded

Guest bobbys back
Deerhounds, are called deerhounds for a reason.I,ve never taken a deer with a dog, but it stands to reason that a pipsqueak isnt going to knock over a large deer, as the old saying goes..."use enough gun". also, this is a very interesting chat, please, lets keep it civil, and accord some respect to the gents with great experience please.

deerhounds are called deerhounds for a reason, :11: well thats it then,there the best at that then,what about wolfhounds,are they the best at wolfs,is the fox terrier the best at fox,leave it out baldie,i have heard some shit before,but ffs,have a day of will you, :11: :11: :11: how can we keep it civil if you come out with shit like that,imho,the deerhound is an over rated deer dog,

Guest bobbys back
So basically bobby there not fast enough to catch daytime quarry, just lamped stuff thats got its own head up its arse.....

if thats what you think ian,why dont you come and run your dog against mine on the fallow,in hampshire,this is where talk is cheap,lets see if your dogs can catch stuff like mine,as you say its easy,its got it head up its arse,

Bobby what percentage bull crosses do you run and are these daytime dogs single handed ?

mine are first cross 4th generation dogs,that are single handed lamping dogs,

:blink: I don't know feck all about deer... my question is what's a 4th generation 1st cross ??????

Really, please explain.... :icon_redface:

to be honest i don't run many of the bigger deer, simply because i have no use for mass amounts of venison. but i find it very hard to believe that any dog can break a red deers neck so easily, or a fallow stag even, it might of happened though and i'm not saying anyones lying, but i cant imagine any dog hitting a fully grown stag in full flight and breaking its neck as it flips the deer onto the deck, a one off maybe but surely not regular ? :hmm:

So basically bobby there not fast enough to catch daytime quarry, just lamped stuff thats got its own head up its arse.....

if thats what you think ian,why dont you come and run your dog against mine on the fallow,in hampshire,this is where talk is cheap,lets see if your dogs can catch stuff like mine,as you say its easy,its got it head up its arse,

My dog would fail, hes a frail and slight saluki x, show me a dog that can go out and pull every species in daylight....then you have a true deer dog.

Guest bobbys back

My dog would fail, hes a frail and slight saluki x, show me a dog that can go out and pull every species in daylight....then you have a true deer dog.

:11: so your saying then ian,that a dog is only good if its a day time dog, :11:well mine must be shite then because i only lamp,

OK.....having read the thread i still stick by my opinion. Here is a photograph of a mature fallow bucks neck that was shot with the bullet gun. Now im not a big chap by any means (nasal passage aside) but look at its neck, using my hand for scale. It has approximately a 30inch neck.... :icon_eek: how is any "deerhound" going to manage to throat and kill a creature like that?....The beast was huge and i am sure would drag off any dog whether it be 27 inch or 30 inch. Like i said before, the vast majority of dogs on these larger critters anchor them, or even get dragged along by them until help arrives.

Just for the record, Deerhounds were for pulling WOUNDED reds....in the days before scopes were on rifles the deer were often wounded, this is when a PAIR of deerhounds were slipped.

Obviously i stand to be corrected, but until i see a dog perform such feats time and time again i will only believe what i have seen. A great thread by the way..... :yes::rocker:

OK.....having read the thread i still stick by my opinion. Here is a photograph of a mature fallow bucks neck that was shot with the bullet gun. Now im not a big chap by any means (nasal passage aside) but look at its neck, using my hand for scale. It has approximately a 30inch neck.... :icon_eek: how is any "deerhound" going to manage to throat and kill a creature like that?....The beast was huge and i am sure would drag off any dog whether it be 27 inch or 30 inch. Like i said before, the vast majority of dogs on these larger critters anchor them, or even get dragged along by them until help arrives.

Just for the record, Deerhounds were for pulling WOUNDED reds....in the days before scopes were on rifles the deer were often wounded, this is when a PAIR of deerhounds were slipped.

Obviously i stand to be corrected, but until i see a dog perform such feats time and time again i will only believe what i have seen. A great thread by the way..... :yes::rocker: