maintaince free kennels

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seen that idea before, dogger off here has a similar set up, holes cut in the side of the barrel though.   Kyle

cheers jackard,your a gent.

if any one else uses them ,get a pic up

i never had much problem with condensation i just didnt find them as easy to keep clean as what they first appear.220 litre barrels are quite high and the neck of nearly all open top barrels is narrower so even if you tip it up the bedding,especially if its damp dosent always just fall out.i found they were also too big for a terrier.

the way id do it now is to cut a barrel down,cut the hole out and make a wooden lift off top that would double up as a platform for the dog to lie out on in the warmer weather.the width of a 220 litre barrel makes for ample room for a terrier.for bigger dogs id lay the barrel down on its side but cut a section out of the side and make a wooden top to fit in which will make it a simple job of lifting it off and cleaning the bedding out.

i used to prefer the flat sided open top barrels as they are smaller and dont roll around,just fasten a lat to the bottom to raise it off the floor a few inches.if you use a barrel like above for a terrier you can use a tighthead drum over the more expensive open top type which narrows down at the bottom and isnt as stable.

also them little curry paste barrels make good feed barrels. :thumbs:

agreed. i got a mango chutney one, holds a 15kg sack perfectly and has proper strong handles on.

i got a big maple syrup barrel here, was gona make a bbq out of it, might end up a dog bed now :thumbs:

WELL LADS ,

IVE SEEN THE BARRELS USED AND THEY DO CONDENSE UP DURING THE WINTER ...... :thumbdown:

A GOOD FRIEND TRIED TO STOP THIS BY PAINTING THE INSIDES , DIDNT WORK TO ANY GREAT DEGREE , HE DRILLED WEEP HOLES IN THE BOTTOM YET STILL THE BEDDING MATTED TOGETHER WITH THE WET ........ , PLUS THEY WERENT THE EASIEST THINGS TO CLEAN ...... YES THEY COULD BE WASHED REGULAR AND EASILY WITH A JET WASH ....... BUT TO CHANGE THE BEDDING WAS A REAL PAIN , A HANDS AND KNEES JOB :no:

PERSONALLY ........ I DONT THINK YOU CAN BEAT GOOD QUALITY 3/4 " INCH PLY ............

MY FAVOURITE DESIGN WAS USED BY A GOOD OLD TERRIERMAN WHO HAS JUST PASSED AWAY ............

THEY WERE A BOTTOM ENTRY BOX WHERE THE DOG WENT IN AND JUMPED UP INTO THE BED , WITH A LIFT OFF LID THESE WERE ALL INSULATED AND CORNERD OFF WITH STEEL ....... HE HAD THE SAME BOXES THE 30 YRS I KNEW HIM AND THEY ARE STILL AS GOOD AS EVER HE HAD A SPARE BOX STOOD TO ONE SIDE WHICH WAS WASHED AND WOOD TREATED , AS SOON AS HE THOUGHT ONE OF THE BEDS NEEDED A SPRUCE UP HE CHANGED THE BOX , WASHED AND TREATED THE USED BOX READY FOR THE NEXT TIME

BUT ......... THEN AGAIN ........ HE WAS A TERRIERMAN :thumbs:

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

GF,

I have a few barrels.They are top.Waterproof,no rot,no rust,no cracks,for drafts.With plenty of clean dry bedding,they last and do great.I had a friend once who had an american bulldog whelp pups in one haha.They also are tough for the dogs that like to chew.Good stuff Goldfinch

uru