this was frightning

I know most beaters give chocolate to their dogs (including me) but I think it's more to do with the amount you give em keep it small and it should be ok, certainly for us brit's as our chocolate has the lowest concentration of coco powder in europe!! something like 12%!

had the fright of my life this afternoon

been out all day with the cocker and asbo the plummer picking up on my local shoot

asbo was put in the car to rest at dinner time (she is only 5 month old)

the cocker will work day and night, anyway we were picking up ducks on the last drive when brooke started to tire, we finished the drive and went back to base

brooke did not look right at all, so i checked her over to find she had torn some skin on her back leg. so we went home. got her out of the car and put her down, she fell over and stayed down

so we went in the house to dry her off. she got worse she looked as if she was going to die.

rushed her to the vets . 5 vets got straight on to her she had got hypothermia and her blood sugar was very very low. they injected her with insulin and put her on a drip of glucose.her tempreture did not regrester anything at all. within half a hour she was sat up on the table and looking better

she is now at home and on the mend. got to go back tomorrow to have the leg stiched up.

they did not expect her to come home again she was that close to death.

thanks go out to the vets.

stu

well it dont get any better does it

the cockers leg went bad ways and all the stiches popped yesterday

had to have it all done again today, only this time the wound is even bigger.

stu

• 1 month later...

this week in the shooting times a vet has written an article about boosting a dogs energy levels and he recomends feeding a mars bar to his dogs as it only has a small covering of chocolate and to stay away from high strenght choc bars that have loads of coco added. so to the layman it is ok to feed a mars bar when you think a dog needs energy boost at the end of the day. only one mind you.

Just a thought: whilst human long distance runners top up with carbs, dogs derive their energy from fat. I usually take a small amount of concentrated complete food (Purina Proplan Performance) and give my terriers a handful in warm water when we stop beating for lunch. Its very very high in fat as well as protein. If they don't get that they come home looking like hat racks, and also struggle to keep warm.

ferrets are also prone to drops in blood sugar & clinical signs are listless and or total collapse , i am told if its a regular occurance honey is wiped on there gum to try to get the sugar levels back to a decent level

It does make scarey reading when you read about someones dog who has suffered it :(