FOXING LURCHERS

not that i own a fox dog or even have the ground to run bu ti have access to lots of foxes.....sickening all fields are too small really but i think i'd want a dog that can hold on anywhere, get bitten hard but still hold on as that way it'll take more cos a head/neck grip ain't always possible

so it would be a bull or wheaten for me........i like beddys to but for out and out fox dog = bullx

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

killing a fox does nt seem to be a problem for most bull x. Its the actuall catching that seems to be the tricky bit.Seen a lot of bulls finishing the job but very few actually pulling the quarry. Al

No its not king :angry: and i will challlenge anyone and there bullx a night out and i will prove to you they are not the king of lurchers.

:11: :11: :11: :11: :11: :11: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: OK MATE WHO ARE YOU TRYING KID :11:

ive had two greyhounds they both done fox with ease but they are injury prone and very

little stamina. so they are out of the equassion.. and all this most lurchers will do fox is bollox

good fox dogs are harder to come by :yes:

i think the best type for me is a wheaten cross as it stands the weather and rough ground better

NICE DOG MATE :yes:

Guest scotch deerhound

really nice looking hound seen some really good wheaten crosses lethal on fox but the best dog ive seen for daytime is a full deerhound on all types of ground to hunt up and catch

too bad you boys haven't seen good american coyote bred staghounds, if they aren't smashing fox by 9-10 months old they are culls. Some coyote dogs take more punishment in a day on 3,4, 5, coyotes than a lot of dogs probably take in a season otherwise. and yes, i do have bull x and i do love them also, but the upclose bull x blood is not necessary to have a truly hard fast dog with stamina and the willingness to take punishment. There are much better more dedicated hunters here than me that take over a hundred coyotes a winter with a couple trio of dogs, these dogs can go to the well a time or two. these staghounds have been bred and culled just for teeth for the last 200 years, I truly admire the good ones

either a straight greyhound or a saluki x grey......best foxing lurcher i have seen was 3/8 saluki 5/8 grey....also seen some mental greyhounds

foxhounds dont have any bull in them :11:

and as badger states, coyote hunters dont use bull crosses, neither do kangaroo hunters in Oz (they also have a staghound type running dog-deerhound/greyhound=kangaroo hound)

Best x for foxes? imo it depends on how many you will be taking....

one or two foxes a week most lurchers will happily take them if

they aint been bitten badly...

any more than this and especially a few foxes a night where the dogs

will have to tackle one after they have already been bitten and are

swollen you wont go far wrong with a well bred bull x....

Now catching the foxes... imo you dont need a half x for foxes

3/4 x's 3/8 5/8 x's will do better at catching them my mate runs

a 3/8 5/8 bull x put to a greyhound and he catches foxes easily

and can destroy them very fast...

Here's a pic of a dog with a little tiny bit of bull blood in him...

few years ago... obviously before any ban came around...

gedandfox.jpg

And a large dose of wisdom very good comment! :D

menged.jpg

jay

might only have a tiny bit of bull blood in him but has plenty of fox blood in there :11:

either a straight greyhound or a saluki x grey......best foxing lurcher i have seen was 3/8 saluki 5/8 grey....also seen some mental greyhounds

foxhounds dont have any bull in them :11:

and as badger states, coyote hunters dont use bull crosses, neither do kangaroo hunters in Oz (they also have a staghound type running dog-deerhound/greyhound=kangaroo hound)

your right foxhounds dont have any bull blood in them, but they do have another 30 + foxhounds to give them a hand ;)

At the end of the day it dont matter who has or says what nothing and i mean nothing on this earth!!!

will beat a bull cross at catching and killing foxes!!

a bull is the ultimate gladiator it can not be beat by anyother dog pound for pound so putting this blood into a lurcher is the best route to take,most dogs will catch a few foxes but they wont stick day in day out!! my m8ts old dog frankie once took 14 january foxes in the space of a week,to say he was a bit sore was an understatment there is NO saluki or greyhoud ar deerhound or bedlington or anything that can do what this cross does im fed up with lads who aint got a clue thinkinj they know everything there is to know some of the best lurchers have come out of wales,most probably all foxing dogs are now bull bred dogs!!!

Guest grubygrafter
At the end of the day it dont matter who has or says what nothing and i mean nothing on this earth!!!

will beat a bull cross at catching and killing foxes!!

a bull is the ultimate gladiator it can not be beat by anyother dog pound for pound so putting this blood into a lurcher is the best route to take,most dogs will catch a few foxes but they wont stick day in day out!! my m8ts old dog frankie once took 14 january foxes in the space of a week,to say he was a bit sore was an understatment there is NO saluki or greyhoud ar deerhound or bedlington or anything that can do what this cross does im fed up with lads who aint got a clue thinkinj they know everything there is to know some of the best lurchers have come out of wales,most probably all foxing dogs are now bull bred dogs!!!

now then that is a bold claim. garypco i agree that most bull crosses are ideal for killing foxes but so they should be f**k me most of them are built like tanks and totally overmatch there quarry whats the average weight of a bull/greyhound. very few bulls fight to the death so i m o. a well bred patt pound for pound is harder as it will give its life to get the job done. i have a wheaten x and had a bull x many years ago i rate my wheaten x higher :tongue2:

killing a fox does nt seem to be a problem for most bull x. Its the actuall catching that seems to be the tricky bit.Seen a lot of bulls finishing the job but very few actually pulling the quarry. Always seems to be a smaller more racier member of the team :)

• Like 1
killing a fox does nt seem to be a problem for most bull x. Its the actuall catching that seems to be the tricky bit.Seen a lot of bulls finishing the job but very few actually pulling the quarry. Always seems to be a smaller more racier member of the team :)

a valid point a lurcher is a running dog...a lot of the bull crosses i have seen couldn't make up the ground to get to terms with the quarry.....that said i suppose 3/4 bred etc. will be fleet enough....a half bred would make a good terriermans dog, drawing and catching as they bolt....but for a long slip they are more fighter than runner, so more running dog is required...

if it cant catch it it cant kill it, so it matters not how hard the dog is if it cant get on terms with a long slip

what percentage of bull do bull cross owners like use?

and if its only a small amount is it worth the outcross?

the saluki cross i mentioned earlier was something different, he was very intelligent and also slightly un-hinged :11: he would course and kill stray dogs if told to :11:

Guest bobbys back

there is a lot of shit out there,but there are some real good single handed lamping dogs out there,that can catch and kill all that is put in front of them,thoses that think the bullcroses are just terrier mans tools should get out with the right sort of stuff,mine are lamping dogs,and for what i do,nothing comes close or last as long as a bullcross,imho