Chimp, if its only new then do not force it or take any fruit from it this year. It needs to establish itself first. Just leave it be and water well. I made the same mistake and tried forcing some of mine when it was too young.

Trappa

thx trappa , ive uncovered it now and will leave it be .

i bricked in some horseradish which is growing well ( not surprised as its a weed lol )

oh and my basil looks burnt so moved it to a shady area, apart from that everything has come up well :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers mate. Its looking a bit sorry for itself at the moment but it will be looking good in a few weeks.

Posted Images

i`ve planted beans in tubs this year see how it go`s thinking of trying spuds in a dustbin any know the system ?

put about 12 inch or so of compost in your bin and mix a bit of well rotted manure into it,then slightly push your seed potatoes into the mix with the shoots pointing up,then cover with a couple of inch of compost and water,then just keep checking it and when you see the new growth coming through,cover it with another couple of inch,dont cover to much as you dont want it using all its energy just to surface,then everytime the new growth shows keep covering it until your bin is almost full,then just leave it and harvest when the leaves start to die back :thumbs: ps,you only want 1 shoot on your seeding spuds so remove the smallest and leave the biggest

Edited by craigyboy

put about 12 inch or so of compost in your bin and mix a bit of well rotted manure into it,then slightly push your seed potatoes into the mix with the shoots pointing up,then cover with a couple of inch of compost and water,then just keep checking it and when you see the new growth coming through,cover it with another couple of inch,dont cover to much as you dont want it using all its energy just to surface,then everytime the new growth shows keep covering it until your bin is almost full,then just leave it and harvest when the leaves start to die back :thumbs: ps,you only want 1 shoot on your seeding spuds so remove the smallest and leave the biggest

Any idea how this works? Ive read about this system but i would have thought simply filling the bin up at the start and planting the spuds at the top would be better yet the experts say to do what you say. I cant get my head around it.

put about 12 inch or so of compost in your bin and mix a bit of well rotted manure into it,then slightly push your seed potatoes into the mix with the shoots pointing up,then cover with a couple of inch of compost and water,then just keep checking it and when you see the new growth coming through,cover it with another couple of inch,dont cover to much as you dont want it using all its energy just to surface,then everytime the new growth shows keep covering it until your bin is almost full,then just leave it and harvest when the leaves start to die back thumbs.gif ps,you only want 1 shoot on your seeding spuds so remove the smallest and leave the biggest

Any idea how this works? Ive read about this system but i would have thought simply filling the bin up at the start and planting the spuds at the top would be better yet the experts say to do what you say. I cant get my head around it.

i`ll just give it a go cbs way cant lose owt -- an old boy on an alloment where i shifted some rats a few year ago planted his in compost and manure in black bin bags fitted some hose to the top for watering few drain slots in the bottom had 30 of em had a fantastic crop he did his beans in old buckets and raised beds for all his other bits .. saved him loads of digging ...he used to go up with his cooker and his paper do his breakfast to keep out the mrs way ..clapper.gif

im no expert ,its just summat mi owd fella taught me,and ive done it ever since and the results speak for themselves :thumbs:

Edited by craigyboy

Often wondered about that myself when the farmers set potatoes dont they earth them as there planted.

Trappa the lottys looking well as your up north we are a lot further forward in the middle of the country will get some pics up for comparison mind we not beat the cornish they are selling cornish new potatoes at the supermarket right now but they are a pound a pound :wallbash:

Often wondered about that myself when the farmers set potatoes dont they earth them as there planted.

Trappa the lottys looking well as your up north we are a lot further forward in the middle of the country will get some pics up for comparison mind we not beat the cornish they are selling cornish new potatoes at the supermarket right now but they are a pound a pound :wallbash:

cheers BT, bloody hell, thats early to sell pots! Mine are just poking through, mind you, the frosts turned a few of the greens balck this last week so thats not a bad thing!

Guest bullterrier

last year was my 1st go at veg growing and catterpillas desimated my sprouts , how do i stop this without covering in nets ? do they make a spray i can use ?

don't put your rhubarb leafs on the compost bin tie them all together with something heavy [brick] will do place in big barrel and fill with water and keep adding your rhubarb leafs to the water staring every now and again this mixture is great for all your cabbages keeping the cabbage white from your crop..thumbs.gif ..john

I got an alotment at the begining of march last and have a few things growing Im hooked on growing my own veg now Ill put up some pics later can anyone tell me a way of geting rid of slugs with out useing slug belletts the lad on the next alotment beside me has a small pond on his that he has put frogs in he hopeing they will eat the slugs also I have radishes growing that are growing well but are comeing out of the ground quit a bit do I need to cover them with soil or just leve them thanks

Pembrokeshire new spuds have been out a while too. :yes: Problem is they're more expensive round here than they are in the shops in London. :angry:

I got an alotment at the begining of march last and have a few things growing Im hooked on growing my own veg now Ill put up some pics later can anyone tell me a way of geting rid of slugs with out useing slug belletts the lad on the next alotment beside me has a small pond on his that he has put frogs in he hopeing they will eat the slugs also I have radishes growing that are growing well but are comeing out of the ground quit a bit do I need to cover them with soil or just leve them thanks

id recommend nematodes to get rid o the slugs it does the job,and it only kills the slug :thumbs: