hi all,ive just been passed for my shotgun licence and need a bit of advice on what type of shotgun to buy thats value for money.it will be my first shotgun and will be mainly used for pigeons,vermin and the odd shoot day,im wanting something in the hundreds not thousands, basically that multi choke and magnum proofed(advice from me mate).so advice on what's good and what to keep away from would be a great help.one of my mate's got a baikel and the other a lanber sporter. cheers :thumbs:

all depends in budget dont dismiss fixed choke most the time with multi choke most people use 1/4 and 1/2 it also takes something away from the equation when it comes to your shooting i have a fixed choke lanber that is always first out the cabinet

Never owned one but a lot of my mates started with a lanber its a cracking gun. Me I started with a £200 Larouna and i loved it wish i'd never sold it now :wallbash:

What ever you decide upon just make sure it fits you well and if you have the chance take it to try on a few clays and see how you go on.

Good luck mate

SEEKER

my most honest opinion.

i have just put a deposit down on a gti plus browning! at 900 squid thats what i want. but my dad has a lanbur! he has had it for 20 odd years. i borrow it all the time! it is an amazing gun. i have also borrowed a 325 browning and an aya of some sort. not sure on what the aya year or model was. but i know out of the three i would without a doubt choose the lanbur. have to agree with zook. it is the first one out my cabinate. nailed loads with it.

for the money you pay for a lanbur, u cannot go wrong. cheap and reliable!! i wish i would of put my deposit down on a lanbur to be honest! cracking guns

all the best

o and i agree. dont dismiss fixed choke. but personally i like to be able to open them for pigeon's and tighten them for rabbits. but thats just me! my step dad has shot with fixed chokes all his life. u mention choke's to him, he dont know what they are. but he's a mean shot at anythin. pigeons rabbit clays! u get used to what you use mate!

GILLYDOG

A couple of years ago i was in the same situation as you , looking for a shotgun on a budget.

A friend of mine at work was telling me about his ' LANBER ' that he has owned for about 15 years with no problems at all.

So i ended up buying a second hand ' Lanber Sporting Deluxe ' multi choke for about £400 . That was about 2 years ago and i have had no trouble what so ever ,

Good hunting ,

John :D

2-2.jpg

1-3.jpg

cheers for the advice lads,ive had a quick go of me mates lanber and i think thats what i'll probally go for :thumbs:

Lanber are fine budget range guns, I have one myself. There are also quite a few others you may come across when you go "shopping". Betinsoli, Rizzini, Webley, are just examples. All similar prices and spec.

I too have just been granted my s/c. I am a bit unsure of what to buy also. I have been advised to buy s/h sort of £400-£500 worth. But I can stretch to buy new. I will mainly be shooting alone or with a mate. Rough shooting will be the main subject, I have seen a fausti warwick or £900, but I have fallen in love with semi autos. I tried a work colleagues sx3 today and must admit it was nice to shoot. I understand that a lot of gunners hate semi`s. O/u or semi, new or s/h? I have been recommended by a very knowledgeable chap to go for s/h, and spend sort of £400 and I am not questioning his knowledge or advice but I just want to get the best that I can afford, what I have found is buy cheap buy twice.

lb, to a certain extent you're right, buy cheap buy twice, however....

If you have a certain amount to spend, then you will almost always get more for that second hand than brand new. As long as you check out your purchase carefully, if possible take a friend who knows guns or get a registered gunsmith to check before you buy.

Obviously, get the best that you can afford. If you have £1000 to spend, then buying a £400 gun isn't where you want to be.

Having said that, you will probably shoot no better with a £1000 gun than a £400 gun.

The only time a brand new gun might benefit you is if you're an unusual shape/size, when getting a second hand gun to fit might be challenging and so a new one is a better option. In all this the fit is probably the most important thing to get right, especially in a first gun, if all sorts of bad habits and such are to be avoided!

No one has mentioned Benelli shotguns yet, i think they are the best guns for the value and their pump actions are very reasonably priced for a starter gun.

also the Remington 870 is the most popular shotgun hands down in the US. its not my cup of tea but a bazillion owners cant be wrong.

Na i cant fault either make to be honest, I was going to spend say about a grand but I have limited my self to £500. I know that I should be able to pick up a decent secondhand o/u. 20g might suit me better mind as I am quite small.