deerhound crosses

Some tidy looking dogs on it especialy the beddy cross must admit though they looked easey to catch rabbits compaired to other parts of the country.Its like lads around here who had average lamp dogs but could go up to the dales and catch double figures all the time.

true mate, if you catch a dozen in some places in the west mid , you got a really good dog. Have seen the vid good vid :thumbs:

The only time our rabbits bounce back into the field is early season if they miss their run: hedges are no good at slowing them down round here: just dive in and gone. Need very fast hard striking dogs to catch them. One missed strike and that's it.

I heard so much about that video, that when I first saw it I was quite disappointed.

Deerhound x's are good on the lamp, but I dont think that video shows them at their best. And for the record, they don't need dry stone walls for rabbits to bounce off, deerhound x's can run and run and run some more, picking rabbits up in their stride - people make out its a problem for them; its not.

• Like 1

ye but my time when we had them was all walking no car, so we could only test them on roe hare odd rabbit never any rabbits localy we did have the odd nite on good land rabbit wise, but was all hare localy nothing else realy odd rabbit ,the problem localy back then it was hard to find a good lurcher to breed with ,male dogs or we would probaly still have them, then eighties came along and walah the black counrty swindle and most of them got lost got old ,then the good saluks came along then they were lost ,the deerhoundy dogs we had spey , cher,jess ,i sent pics to you many years ago ,19 to be fact chalkie were good dogs but not like the ones i see now as much mate

good one joe , we used motor bike spot lamps anything realy then deben came along etc ,feched a few solaway zippers useing feching motor bike batts

laugh.gif The old moter bike battery yusa they called the ones we used saved me from very seriouse injury one nightthumbs.gif

WELL FELLAS ,

LAMP MADE FROM A LUCAS SPOTLIGHT TAPED IN TO REDUCE THE BEAM ........... WE ALWAYS LOOKED FOR THE CHROME ONES WITH THE BLUE GLASS IN THE CENTRE ............

HANDLE FROM 3/4 " COPPER PIPE WITH A SWITCH FROM AN IN LINE CABLED TABLE LAMP ..............

CABLE FROM SAID TABLE LAMP ...................

COVERD IN THE MUST HAVE BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE ............................

BATTERY ? ................... ANY YOU COULD GET HOLD OF !!!

TOP THIS OFF WITH THE LAMPERS STANDARD CLOTHING .................

AN OLD PAIR OF JEANS ........

A KNACKERD OLD DONKEY JACKET ...................

BOTH WITH THE ARSE END FULL OF HOLES FROM THE SPILT BATTERY ACID .........

WELLIES ........ BLACK ........... TURNED DOWN AT THE TOPS .............

ANYTHING ELSE AND YOU GET CALLED A NANCEY BOY ! .......

I REMEMBER THE FIRST TIME I WENT OUT FERRETING IN A BARBOUR JACKET .... THE OLD FELLA I WAS WITH SAID ....... " YOU AINT WEARING TALC KID AS WELL ARE YOU :hmm: " ...........

FECKIN HELL I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO HAVE TO WALK HOME RATHER THAN SIT IN THE FRONT OF THE BEDFORD H.A. VAN WITH HIM !

SOME OF YOU LADS TODAY WANDER AROUND LOOKING LIKE A JAPANESE SNIPERS :tongue2:

ALL THE BEST

OLD DUCKWING :big_boss:

WELL FELLAS ,

LAMP MADE FROM A LUCAS SPOTLIGHT TAPED IN TO REDUCE THE BEAM ........... WE ALWAYS LOOKED FOR THE CHROME ONES WITH THE BLUE GLASS IN THE CENTRE ............

HANDLE FROM 3/4 " COPPER PIPE WITH A SWITCH FROM AN IN LINE CABLED TABLE LAMP ..............

CABLE FROM SAID TABLE LAMP ...................

COVERD IN THE MUST HAVE BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE ............................

BATTERY ? ................... ANY YOU COULD GET HOLD OF !!!

TOP THIS OFF WITH THE LAMPERS STANDARD CLOTHING .................

AN OLD PAIR OF JEANS ........

A KNACKERD OLD DONKEY JACKET ...................

BOTH WITH THE ARSE END FULL OF HOLES FROM THE SPILT BATTERY ACID .........

WELLIES ........ BLACK ........... TURNED DOWN AT THE TOPS .............

ANYTHING ELSE AND YOU GET CALLED A NANCEY BOY ! .......

I REMEMBER THE FIRST TIME I WENT OUT FERRETING IN A BARBOUR JACKET .... THE OLD FELLA I WAS WITH SAID ....... " YOU AINT WEARING TALC KID AS WELL ARE YOU hmm.gif " ...........

FECKIN HELL I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO HAVE TO WALK HOME RATHER THAN SIT IN THE FRONT OF THE BEDFORD H.A. VAN WITH HIM !

SOME OF YOU LADS TODAY WANDER AROUND LOOKING LIKE A JAPANESE SNIPERS tongue2.gif

ALL THE BEST

OLD DUCKWING big_boss.gif

clapper.gifclapper.gif Though it were pit wellies and donkey jackets with N.C.B on the back i dont know wat we would have done with out the old army and navy stores.

Guest joe ox

Dont forget the NCB pit boots with the steel toe caps what were scrounged off the fellas who woked down the pits, the steel toe capped wellies with the ribs on were a touch harder to scrounge. The stuff scrounged from people who work on the rigs was much warmer with a bit more class the yellow wellies were a cut above anything from the NCB :clapper: