Lurchers and Livestock

My beddyXwhippet is 100% with all livestock . . . . BUT he is exceptionally biddable and once i've raised my voice he won't even look again. My nieces have a couple of pet rabbits and he will totally ignore them in their runs after being told off for it as a pup . . . . yet will flush and kill a rabbit out in the field in a heartbeat. I do however think he is an exception to the rule. :thumbs:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

personally i think you can always teach them when there young its when they start to get killer instinct that they start to look.

Posted Images

My beddyXwhippet is 100% with all livestock . . . . BUT he is exceptionally biddable and once i've raised my voice he won't even look again. My nieces have a couple of pet rabbits and he will totally ignore them in their runs after being told off for it as a pup . . . . yet will flush and kill a rabbit out in the field in a heartbeat. I do however think he is an exception to the rule. :thumbs:

The clue is in HE............ Every guy on here knows exactly how the dog feels lol.

Both my current dogs are 100%, they have to be, my property shares a boundary with 2 farms, the fields directly to the rear and side of my garden have livestock in them.It's one of the first lessons my dogs are taught from puppyhood...livestock is not for chasing. A lot of the land I walk over has all manner of animals and the dogs have to be absolutely spot on amongst them. Never had one complaint in the 12 years I've lived here.

post-37748-127100323492_thumb.jpg

post-37748-127100326934_thumb.jpg

post-37748-127100335728_thumb.jpg

Both my current dogs are 100%, they have to be, my property shares a boundary with 2 farms, the fields directly to the rear and side of my garden have livestock in them.It's one of the first lessons my dogs are taught from puppyhood...livestock is not for chasing. A lot of the land I walk over has all manner of animals and the dogs have to be absolutely spot on amongst them. Never had one complaint in the 12 years I've lived here.

post-37748-127100323492_thumb.jpg

post-37748-127100326934_thumb.jpg

post-37748-127100335728_thumb.jpg

If that were a David Attenborough film showing lions eyeing up wilder beast in the plains, you'd reckon they were about to take them out lol. Look too interested for my liking but I believe you.

Haha, the pics were taken a few months ago when training the pup, he was curious but listened to my commands. Can walk him through fields of animals now off the lead and they might as well not be there, he takes no notice of them at all whether they be cows, horses, sheep and even pigs!

this is a tough one for me,its ok for you guys that have permission with livestock,or friendly farmer where you can introduce a young pup for training purpose,but i have only ever lamped with my dogs and could walk all night without even seeing a sheep,cow whatever.

livestock around my area is very few and far between im afraid so have never had the luxury of a dog that i could say hand on my heart is 100% with stock.

the only thing i ever come across is horses and my dogs have never looked twice at them,after the first initial check on the lead.pretty much anything else i come across is fair game(pre-ban obviously)

ok so if its not broken to stock as some of you may well say then get rid,a dog that is not steady with stock is a liability,but this is certainly not the case,after all,its good to say its broken,but the necessity for me is just not there,although i will say, this year im bringing on a dog that i will be using for day time ferreting ect,and will try my utmost to find sheep,cows whatever to give her the introduction she may need.

so there you have it,my dogs are not 100% therefore they are shit,and should be in the ground :thumbs:(not)

Edited by watchman

My dog wont look at sheep, chickens, pheasants, alpacas all that sort of farm animals, Probally the collie in him to clever for some reason knows whats to be ran and whats not to be ran, the only thing he got funny about has been domestic pigs lol

this is a tough one for me,its ok for you guys that have permission with livestock,or friendly farmer where you can introduce a young pup for training purpose,but i have only ever lamped with my dogs and could walk all night without even seeing a sheep,cow whatever.

livestock around my area is very few and far between im afraid so have never had the luxury of a dog that i could say hand on my heart is 100% with stock.

the only thing i ever come across is horses and my dogs have never looked twice at them,after the first initial check on the lead.pretty much anything else i come across is fair game(pre-ban obviously)

ok so if its not broken to stock as some of you may well say then get rid,a dog that is not steady with stock is a liability,but this is certainly not the case,after all,its good to say its broken,but the necessity for me is just not there,although i will say, this year im bringing on a dog that i will be using for day time ferreting ect,and will try my utmost to find sheep,cows whatever to give her the introduction she may need.

so there you have it,my dogs are not 100% therefore they are shit,and should be in the ground :thumbs:(not)

In all fairness mate its the same around here.. this is why i started this thread.. mainly for the lads who dont have access to livestock.. and cant drive.. im lucky coz i have a vehicle and can introduce mine to all manner of livestock.. the point is... what of the lads who cant?? atb stabba

In all fairness mate its the same around here.. this is why i started this thread.. mainly for the lads who dont have access to livestock.. and cant drive.. im lucky coz i have a vehicle and can introduce mine to all manner of livestock.. the point is... what of the lads who cant?? atb stabba

seems mine are the only ones that are not,does it really pay to be honest :icon_redface: as for the other lads whos dogs are not broken prob would not say so for fear of a slagging,me i got big shoulders for a little lad :thumbs:

Its simple if the dog attacks livestock.Its down to the owners inability to train the dog.I take my dogs out as soon as they can walk a few 100 yards.Lurchers and gun dogs.So they see live stock at a young age. Sit with the air rifle for hours.Miss tons of shots.but it teaches the dog patience.So when the time comes and they are expected to work they know by the tone of my voice what they can and cant do.Most of my dogs are well trained at recall and retrieve at six months.atb. Catcherthumbs.gif

no dog is ever 100 in my eyes, the thought will alwaysbe in there head, may it only be a second of thinkin but still its thinking about it! just my view :thumbs:

spot on, i still take my dog or dogs to see stock most days, even if they are mature . never trust them 100% :yes:

no dog is ever 100 in my eyes, the thought will alwaysbe in there head, may it only be a second of thinkin but still its thinking about it! just my view :thumbs:

spot on, i still take my dog or dogs to see stock most days, even if they are mature . never trust them 100% :yes:

Got to disagree, my dogs are 100%. Trust them to the point of death! Where we are and work, there are sheep in every other field. They brush past them "EVERY" day........