Got a call the other night............

I had a call from a sheep farmer local to me saying that he had had 2 hens and 14 chicks killed,plus he is lambing,and,could I have a look out.Well,I did have a look round that night,but,nothing to report,so,as I was out on the opposite side of the valley today after a Muntjac,it was my delight(and I know some people may have objections,but,this is purely pest control)that as I laid down watching a sunny bank that often produces I watched a fox ambling down the other side of a sparce tree line,so,as it poked it's head out at the end of the run a 100grainer was duly launched,and,Charlie flopped over dead.I knew the farmer would be very happy,and,as a second fox appeared from what seemed nowhere,and not giving me the chance to raise the rifle without spooking it,so,as I moved albeit slowly it scarpered off to the other side of the field concealed by blackthorn.I gave a couple of quiet squeeks and it started off cautiously along the exact same route as the first,and was dropped right next to it.

DSC005550001.jpg

As far as the Muntjac was concerned there was a no shot situation,but,I was entertained at one point when a Munjac Doe burst out of the Blackthorn hedgeline at the top of the valley only to be pursued hotly by a Hare which went on to chase across the top of the field and back into the wood never to be seen again.

The land is very close to where I live and I can see it from my front room,it is made up of two Market gardens and a predominantly sheep farm,so,when I was on my way out and I saw the farmer pointing at a Hare at the top of a run of newly planted brassicas,I was obliged to give it a 'coup de gras',he explained that the cabbages had been planted twice now,and,he doesn't want to see any Hares(however pretty)well.....my tea tomorrow is sorted anyway,and,before anybody says the Hares should be run by dogs...... If I hadn't shot it he would of certainly got someone in that would.

The land in question...........

IMG_1617.jpg

I had a call from a sheep farmer local to me saying that he had had 2 hens and 14 chicks killed,plus he is lambing,and,could I have a look out.Well,I did have a look round that night,but,nothing to report,so,as I was out on the opposite side of the valley today after a Muntjac,it was my delight(and I know some people may have objections,but,this is purely pest control)that as I laid down watching a sunny bank that often produces I watched a fox ambling down the other side of a sparce tree line,so,as it poked it's head out at the end of the run a 100grainer was duly launched,and,Charlie flopped over dead.I knew the farmer would be very happy,and,as a second fox appeared from what seemed nowhere,and not giving me the chance to raise the rifle without spooking it,so,as I moved albeit slowly it scarpered off to the other side of the field concealed by blackthorn.I gave a couple of quiet squeeks and it started off cautiously along the exact same route as the first,and was dropped right next to it.

DSC005550001.jpg

As far as the Muntjac was concerned there was a no shot situation,but,I was entertained at one point when a Munjac Doe burst out of the Blackthorn hedgeline at the top of the valley only to be pursued hotly by a Hare which went on to chase across the top of the field and back into the wood never to be seen again.

The land is very close to where I live and I can see it from my front room,it is made up of two Market gardens and a predominantly sheep farm,so,when I was on my way out and I saw the farmer pointing at a Hare at the top of a run of newly planted brassicas,I was obliged to give it a 'coup de gras',he explained that the cabbages had been planted twice now,and,he doesn't want to see any Hares(however pretty)well.....my tea tomorrow is sorted anyway,and,before anybody says the Hares should be run by dogs...... If I hadn't shot it he would of certainly got someone in that would.

The land in question...........

IMG_1617.jpg

Nice brace of foxes martin, enjoy the hare, i had one at the weekend, got the wife to make ptted hare lovely on toast.