lamping with a terrier or two

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi all,

I like the idea of lamping with dogs as I have already done it with a gun and enjoyed myself. do you thing a terrier could cope with it. Im not looking to bag loads doing it more for fun. My lakelands about 16 inches may be a tad more if this helps. thanks.

if your terrier speaks when chasing rabbits expect a short night.

sorry, what do you mean a short night

meaning every rabbit for a mile around will know you are there(if he yaps at night when chasing rabbit)

I also know of a farm workers border in a place called tenderton in kent who use to chase and kill rabbits

it will catch the sitters in the back end but dont let the lurcher men catch you,youll make every thing lamp shy :black eye: :11: atb

yes, He nearly got some sitting rabbits which he saw from the middle of the field but they were only about 8 feet away from a hole and there were about 3 of them. also how will it make them lamp shy?.

Edited by fieldsportsman

hi all,

I like the idea of lamping with dogs as I have already done it with a gun and enjoyed myself. do you thing a terrier could cope with it. Im not looking to bag loads doing it more for fun. My lakelands about 16 inches may be a tad more if this helps. thanks.

meaning every rabbit for a mile around will know you are there(if he yaps at night when chasing rabbit)

I also know of a farm workers border in a place called tenderton in kent who use to chase and kill rabbits

just tryin to give a bit of advice.darren67 is spot on for the same reason

hi all,

say if your walking trough a field, hedge etc and a rabbit breaks cover 20-25 feet ahead and the dog chases it would it catch it Edited by fieldsportsman

hi all,

say if your walking trough a field, hedge etc and a rabbit breaks cover 20-25 feet ahead and the dog chases it would it catch it

my personal opinion no but some may own some that will i've got a very big roughly 18" terrier thats now 13 and over all them years he has'nt caught many rabbits not fit ones anyway and he was a quick.(for a terrier in his time)dog horses for courses i think.take some ones earlier advice and try and get a lurcher.the chase can be as good as the catch though so got to be your choice. stick to bushing in the day and go out with a gun at night and leave your terrier at home.ever thought of an air rifle.?

it aint no fun having a terrier f**k off across fields after anything in the day time let alone in the dark. Best get a kennel full of terriers because it sounds like the best way to loose them in my opinions.

Keep terriers for foxes and running dogs for messing with rabbits and lamps

Edited by OldNog

hi all,

say if your walking trough a field, hedge etc and a rabbit breaks cover 20-25 feet ahead and the dog chases it would it catch it

my personal opinion no but some may own some that will i've got a very big roughly 18" terrier thats now 13 and over all them years he has'nt caught many rabbits not fit ones anyway and he was a quick.(for a terrier in his time)dog horses for courses i think.take some ones earlier advice and try and get a lurcher.the chase can be as good as the catch though so got to be your choice. stick to bushing in the day and go out with a gun at night and leave your terrier at home.ever thought of an air rifle.?

thanks for the advise, and yes I have a new bsa supersport which has taken many rabbitts, also talking of bushing When shooting rabbits at night I often hear them creaping in the bushes which obviousley I cant gett with a gun would it be an idea to get my tterrier in there as I am desprate for him to get a rabbit.

whens ur birthday be beter for u to get a whippet or a beddy whippet if u got loads of rabbits on ur permisson mite end up leavin the gun in house at night time and run the legs of the dog.happy hunting josie :thumbs:

whens ur birthday be beter for u to get a whippet or a beddy whippet if u got loads of rabbits on ur permisson mite end up leavin the gun in house at night time and run the legs of the dog.happy hunting josie :thumbs:

ok, but in the mean time Ill have to stick to bushing and the odd sitting rabbit, do you think bushing at night would be good.

it aint no fun having a terrier f**k off across fields after anything in the day time let alone in the dark. Best get a kennel full of terriers because it sounds like the best way to loose them in my opinions.

:11: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:clapper:

im beginning to think this is a wind up :) honestly mate, if your terrier has as good a nose as you say in your other posts , the last thing you want to be doing at night is lamping with it. it will probably hunt up and, youll be blue in the face tryin to catch it, , unless your recall is spot on and it returns to you...all the best with the wee dog. :thumbs:

im beginning to think this is a wind up :) honestly mate, if your terrier has as good a nose as you say in your other posts , the last thing you want to be doing at night is lamping with it. it will probably hunt up and, youll be blue in the face tryin to catch it, , unless your recall is spot on and it returns to you...all the best with the wee dog. :thumbs:

sorry to sound so daft.

sorry to sound so daft.

It isn't a good idea though, if your dog f*cks off in the dark and you lose him on the lamp, then he goes to ground after the bunny, you'll be f*cked wouldn't you, not knowing where to luck the odds would be that you'd lose him.

Listen to what people have told you and don't go lamping with a terrier.