differences in greyhounds

i would agree that generally the coursing ones are heavyer and slower were as the racing ones have explosive speed and lighter built. in a coursing greyhound its not so much down to speed its down to how many times the hare gets turned and its on point basis. sometimes coursing greys are moved on to tracks as you lose points if they lift the hare. so the super over fast coursers are moved onto a track these are the ones that are to fast and lift the hare all the time and lose points. most coursing bred greys are a little less injury prone dont know if its just because there stronger built or what but seems to be the way this is my understanding of it but could be wrong. atb jamie

I don't think you're up to date with your coursing info Jamie.

True coursing dogs on the whole are bigger and heavier but how do you make them out to be slower? If that

was the case why have coursing dogs as surely someone would enter a "faster" track dog and beat the "slower"

coursing dogs every time.

You say " in a coursing greyhound its not so much down to speed its down to how many times the hare gets turned", I would ask you how many times have you watched coursing recently? There aren't that many turns in Irish park coursing, sometimes there aren't any. It's usually if not always the dog that leads to the first turn that's declared the winner so I would say it's all down to speed.

I've left the best to last, you say,-"so the super over fast coursers are moved onto a track these are the ones that are to fast and lift the hare all the time and lose points". There are numerous things wrong with that statement, for a start if they are "super over fast" and "too fast" surely they will lead up and then it wouldn't matter if they lifted the hare or not as they'd be leading anyway. Secondly the dogs are muzzled nowadays so it is quite a rarity for a dog to manage to get hold of a hare during a course.

Have a look on you tube at the Clonmel Derby and see what you make of it.thumbs.gif

just thought id mention as i said it was my understanding, i wasnt saying i was giving factual info as dont watch much of the hare coursing anymore and when i meant lifting thats even with muzzle if they make any contact ive been led to belive its frowned upon and can lose points. thats what i meant by lifting. and also trying to state some of the very fast coursers are moved to track or vice versa and also was trying to explain theres more skill involved then just pace in a coursing grey then a track grey. so go through these statements and see if you understand better what i was trying to explain and tell people my thoughts so sorry to mis lead you in anyway but it was just what i was led to believe. maybe you could explain to me if its still on a points basis on the lead up the turns and contact with hare and so on or is it just turned into more of a track event but just using a normal hare instead of lure

You're not missleading me mate you're missleading anyone on the forum who doesn't know feck all about coursing.

If you're not sure about something why write about it and give out false info.hmm.gif

Do a bit of research first if you're not clued about it.yes.gif

mate you live and learn been told the above on many a time so it was my belief it was true and my last post dont see much wrong with it since better explained. and have watched many a hare course not recent but that was my understanding. still didnt answer my other questions with the hare coursing is it still point done . so many points for leading up so many for the turn of the hare and so on or has it become more track designed as i thought originally coursing was all about the points hence why lure simulated coursing is meant to be of the same process but not using the hare

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not from me you wont, I think it was an excellent post to be quite honest.

for Leeview, those 2 dogs I mentioned, were the only names that came to mind, the Late Hardie wright, he trained and part owned the

Waterloo cup winner called COTTON KING, 1954, a fellow called DOGGIE SCOTT, won the Waterloo purse around the same time, and Joe Thompson, trained a dog for Lady Birbeck,and my mate all lived with in 5 minutes of each other, all very successful coursing greyhound trainers and owners, ((( and throw in CHARLIE FRUID, from smithfield, only about 15 miles further on, a bank of knowledgeable, fellows

on coursing greyhounds,

OK bl just you mentioned it was in the 60's. Eddie and Sarah Birkbeck own Kinmount where the Scottish National meetings were held,along with Eddies sister Mary Birkbeck from Norfolk they were cousins to the Queen but not titled :thumbs: (and it was Charlie Frood)

Y.I.S Leeview

mate you live and learn been told the above on many a time so it was my belief it was true and my last post dont see much wrong with it since better explained. and have watched many a hare course not recent but that was my understanding. still didnt answer my other questions with the hare coursing is it still point done . so many points for leading up so many for the turn of the hare and so on or has it become more track designed as i thought originally coursing was all about the points hence why lure simulated coursing is meant to be of the same process but not using the hare

SPEED-one,two or three points depending on lead

GO-BY-two points,or if gained on an outer circle three points

THE TURN- one point

THE WRENCH-half a point

THE TRIP-one point

THE KILL-not more than one point,depending on merit which may be of no value

Hare Coursing was always judged on points no other way to judge it

Y.I.S Leeview

for Leeview, those 2 dogs I mentioned, were the only names that came to mind, the Late Hardie wright, he trained and part owned the

Waterloo cup winner called COTTON KING, 1954, a fellow called DOGGIE SCOTT, won the Waterloo purse around the same time, and Joe Thompson, trained a dog for Lady Birbeck,and my mate all lived with in 5 minutes of each other, all very successful coursing greyhound trainers and owners, ((( and throw in CHARLIE FRUID, from smithfield, only about 15 miles further on, a bank of knowledgeable, fellows

on coursing greyhounds,

OK bl just you mentioned it was in the 60's. Eddie and Sarah Birkbeck own Kinmount where the Scottish National meetings were held,along with Eddies sister Mary Birkbeck from Norfolk they were cousins to the Queen but not titled :thumbs: (and it was Charlie Frood)

Y.I.S Leeview

well you have the spelling correct on old charlie, my first real Lurcher was out of a collie bitch ( working hill collie x cotton king

he escaped from his pen, all was pure accidental, I had a dog pup from that mating, he turned out to be a very useful dog, 1958))

and my mate had a track greyhound and 1 coursing greyhound, he had success in the 60s and 70s with them, and the fellow who used to supply him his greyhounds was Mick from Newry,N,I,

SPEED-one,two or three points depending on lead

GO-BY-two points,or if gained on an outer circle three points

THE TURN- one point

THE WRENCH-half a point

THE TRIP-one point

THE KILL-not more than one point,depending on merit which may be of no value

Hare Coursing was always judged on points no other way to judge it

Y.I.S Leeview

that was my understanding that it was still point done and theres more skill involved then speed and were bred acording but got head bitten off. sometimes im a little like whin you need a translator to understand me but i do only comment on what i know and believe but dont always get my point accross. like now my mrs is typing this so my point is expressed in an easyer dialoge for people to understand. cheers for clearing it up for me and need more thl members like yourself atb jamie

Edited by huntingalltheway